Developers begin to look past parking as costs rise

BeerNut

Developers begin to look past parking as costs rise

Despite recent policy changes eliminating minimum parking requirements near downtown and a growing social movement advocating for more biking and other alternative modes of transit, Bryan Danna, developer of Stomping Grounds, believes it’s vital to provide ample parking. In fact, he often builds more than what’s required.

“I don’t want to have a field of parking, but I’ve seen what it does to the sales figures of tenants. It has a massive impact,” said Danna, owner of Revive Development. “It’s a very real component of sales volumes we can’t ignore.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 7:32 AM, BeerNut said:

as I read that article, I was thinking, it would make sense for the parking requirements to be removed (or at least be made more lenient) within a certain distance of the light rail (and BRT) as well.

something like, developments within 1 mile walking distance of light rail have parking requirements reduced by half.

maybe even around high comfort cycle paths they could reduce by 20%, but then require more bike parking.

things like this might encourage businesses to get behind alternative travel modes rather than continually beat them down.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe everyone should have a choice.

Developers should have a choice in how many parking spots they offer and tenants have the choice whether they rent in said building or not.

Some developers may choose to offer parking anyway. Some tenants may want to pay extra for the convenience of designated parking. 

Let the people/market decide.

Parking minimums should be for schools, hospitals, municipal offices....

Archived