Sign in to follow this  
IntheKnowHouston

McCrory Building - 1000-1010 Prairie St

There was a thread for the McCrory Building in downtown Houston ( 1000 Prairie St -1010 Prairie St ), but I am unable to locate it. It may have been one of many threads from C&G wrongly deleted.

In any case, I hope it's fine if I create a new thread for the McCrory Building.

As many of you know, Company of Nomads announced the relocation of its downtown restaurant the Oyster Bar at Prohibition and burlesque venue Prohibition. The news also included the relocation of the subterranean food hall Conservatory. The food hall, along with the other businesses are relocating to East Village in EaDo, replacing Chapman & Kirby which will close sometime in February.

Here is the link to the Houston Chronicle article with the announcement and further details:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Ambitious-new-food-hall-projects-slated-for-EaDo-14937598.php

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

Another food hall is moving into the subterranean space vacated by Conservatory, 1010 Prairie St. I heard about this prior to Company of Nomads' big announcement, but didn't believe it. However, social media pages created this week cements the rumors.

The food hall replacing Conservatory in the McCrory Building is Underground Hall.

https://undergroundhall.com

https://instagram.com/undergroundhalldowntown

https://facebook.com/undergroundhall

• Like 7

Good news! Now I'm curious if it will somehow incorporate the former prohibition space. I walked by last weekend, and workers were re-configuring the patio fencing at ground level to join the two areas. Previously the railing was separating the outdoor seating between the two establishments.

I hope they don't change too much about the interior of Conservatory, I rather liked it. Strange that a food hall would just up and move like that, but I guess a food hall is just essentially another restaurant when it comes to leasing space in a building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I hope they don't change too much about the interior of Conservatory, I rather liked it. Strange that a food hall would just up and move like that, but I guess a food hall is just essentially another restaurant when it comes to leasing space in a building.

I believe the owners of Finn Hall also own the conservatory. So my guess is they wanted to avoid cannibalization.  

6 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The food hall, along with the other businesses are relocating to East Village in EaDo

'EaDo' is bad enough, but 'East Village', too? Seriously?
I suppose I should be grateful they're not calling it the French Quarter, but still. This is overreaching to a ludicrous extent.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

'EaDo' is bad enough, but 'East Village', too? Seriously?
I suppose I should be grateful they're not calling it the French Quarter, but still. This is overreaching to a ludicrous extent.

East village is just the name of the development. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

I believe the owners of Finn Hall also own the conservatory. So my guess is they wanted to avoid cannibalization.  

Of course it's just getting replaced with another food hall there, but I could see if they were negotiating leases for multiple locations with the same operator, the operator wouldn't want them too close together.

Thanks for the explanation.
There's been a trend of naming neighborhoods to make them seem more "New York-y" that I find unsettling.

It's a relief to know the name is confined to one building, and that we're not expected to believe that Alphabet City has somehow miraculously been transported to Houston.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

There's been a trend of naming neighborhoods to make them seem more "New York-y" that I find unsettling.

It's a relief to know the name is confined to one building, and that we're not expected to believe that Alphabet City has somehow miraculously been transported to Houston.

We should just go back to Ward designations...

7 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Houston does seem to have a New York fixation in the naming of areas.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, jermh said:

Good news! Now I'm curious if it will somehow incorporate the former prohibition space. I walked by last weekend, and workers were re-configuring the patio fencing at ground level to join the two areas. Previously the railing was separating the outdoor seating between the two establishments.

CultureMap announced the news yesterday afternoon and has additional details.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-17-20-underground-new-food-hall-downtown-daut-elshani

• Like 1