Shriners Hospital For Children At 6977 South Main St.

Shriners Hospital for Children in Texas Medical Center is closing and parents are shocked

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/shriners-hospital-for-children-in-texas-medical-center-is-closing-and-parents-are-shocked/285-275e9430-e2e7-4939-aac0-5627a7566fac

HOUSTON — A big change is coming to the Texas Medical Center, the Shriners Hospital for Children will be closing that location and consolidating with the Galveston branch in 2021.

Mel Bower, Director of Marketing for Shriners, confirms the Houston Shriners hospital will consolidate with the Shriner’s hospital in Galveston. Bowers says they are consolidating to make services more efficient for patients, who he says shuttle back and forth between the hospitals.

Bowers says one reason the Galveston location was chosen is, “The presence of the burns center in Galveston was an important consideration.”

Shriners says they hope to bring as many of their current team as possible and that all services offered in the Med Center location will be offered in Galveston.

"We will continue to offer all of our existing services, the benefit is that now they will all exist under one roof,” Bowers said.

As for what will become of the building that one the Houston Shriners moves out, Bowers says they just don’t know yet.

• Like 1

The Galveston burns center is a big deal.  The move seems to make sense, if Shriner's had to choose one or another.  Galveston needs the Shriner's Hospital more than Houston does...So, I'm sorry to see Shriners Houston close, but I am happier that it is not Galveston's loss. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Merging Shriners Hospitals in Houston and Galveston: An update

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2020/03/merging-shriners-hospitals-in-houston-and-galveston-an-update/

When two hospitals merge into one location, divvying up space for existing and incoming staff rises to the top of the to-do list. Department heads from both sites confer with planners, hospital administrators and architects to make sure everyone is properly equipped to treat patients.

In early January, Shriners Hospitals for Children – Houston confirmed that it would close in 2021 and consolidate with Shriners – Galveston. Shriners aims to complete the merger by the fourth quarter of 2020, but the full remodel in Galveston could seep into the following year.

“We have the space in our facility,” said Gary Martin, chairman of the Board of Governors for Shriners Hospitals for Children – Galveston. “We are now in the process of stage-planning the different phases we are going through to remodel, because we still have to be open while we’re remodeling. … I was just on a teleconference call for an hour- and-a-half with architects.”

The merger aims to create a stronger facility with a bigger footprint.

“It’s going to be Shriners Hospitals for Children – Texas,” Ashley said.

When asked what will happen to the Houston building, which the Shriners own, Bower said: “We’re looking at a timeline so elongated that the building conversation is secondary. … Part of it is using our Galveston facility more efficiently.”

• The title was changed to Shriners Hospital For Children To Close
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Shriners Hospital For Children At 6977 South Main St.
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Portable toilets and hand washing stations at the site!!

What's happening here? I'd say just a general clean-up of the abandoned building. 

I don't think anyone is about to lease the building? I believe TMC owns the building and has a 99-year lease for the site.  Or something to that nature.

vVf05NZ.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

As hindesky noted above, this is now an active construction site! woow!!

I already called JTB Demolition and left a voicemail to find out what's the scope here.

A few years ago I was invited into the vacant hospital.  It's actually a beautiful hospital with awesome interior space.  I seriously doubt this would be a complete demolition.  Waste of a hospital if that's the case.

Although, I do know that hospitals have to adopt to the latest and greatest. Maybe the 30 year old layout won't work in 2024? I'd say JTB Demolition will be demolishing the interior and gutting it.  Leaving a shell of a building for the next (perspective) client.

Doesn't the Texas Medical Center own the land and has a 100-year ownership agreement? It's apart of the original coveted land that only "non-profits" can build on.

Edit: Yes, it appears the ground-lease expires July 2092. Crazy!!

xE8pI40.jpeg

5y5HLUZ.jpeg

dyf7Gbr.jpeg

You can see still the left-over words of Shriners Hospital on the building.  Power wash!

4gA5VFH.jpeg

iTF08yW.jpeg

Left over logo featuring the Sword.

zbIp6qy.jpeg

I called Tellepsen and they told me the building will be coming down.  Just incredible!  I assume this will become a surface parking lot.

A tower will go here, but it will be a few years unfortunately.

Like this surface lot across the street. Apparently has a ghosted tower from Page Southerland Page.

gdpGE8L.jpg

A window was punched out for demolition purposes.  Photo from yesterday.

8qqpX6g.jpeg

• Thanks 1