Retail Center At 1102 Delano St.

Loving the way this area is coming together. This development combined with the eventual completion of the Polk Street district will make for a really interesting retail sector in the East side and will hopefully better connect Eado to Eastwood and the Second Ward.

• Like 1

The site plan shown in the brochure is horrible, and not very pedestrian friendly. People walking will not only have to dodge two driveways but also parked cars that hang over into the sidewalk (such as large trucks with trailer hitches backed into parking spots).

Also, angled parking spots fronting a two-way road is sure to make for bad parking jobs and blocked traffic as people engage in the dumb and nonsensical parking maneuver of pulling across opposite lanes of traffic to pull into a parking spot angled away from their direction of travel.

New retail in this area is welcome of course, but they need to think through the details better than this half-baked site plan.

• Like 1

I think it looks amazing, this area has literally almost no traffic to the point where over the last few years that have been removing stop lights instead of adding them. The on street parking will actually reduce average speed on the street making it safer for pedestrians and activating the street. Many towns have this parking configuration on their main streets. Excited for this!

• Like 2

Commercial leasing website is saying it will be available as soon as mid-2020. Fingers crossed. Frankel's will take forever because *Lovett*.

Kind of frustrating they ignored all of the relevant "current and future residential" areas north of the train tracks in the Second Ward/East End.

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iah77 said:

I think it looks amazing, this area has literally almost no traffic to the point where over the last few years that have been removing stop lights instead of adding them. The on street parking will actually reduce average speed on the street making it safer for pedestrians and activating the street. Many towns have this parking configuration on their main streets. Excited for this!

“Amazing” is a bit of an overstatement, it could certainly be better than this.

Angled parking definitely has its place and is useful when used on one-way streets, but is less than ideal on a two-way street such as this.

I take it you don’t spend much time trying to park on W 19th between Ashland and Rutland in The Heights? Between the dumb drivers blocking traffic while waiting for someone to back out of a spot and others pulling across traffic to park in spots angled away from their direction of travel, it’s an exercise in frustration. Granted, the volume of traffic won’t be as bad here for the reasons you state, but it doesn’t mean we should welcome a subpar site plan and parking arrangement with open arms.

As far as I am concerned nothing benefits walkability (or “activates the pedestrian realm” *eye roll*) as well as buildings fronting the street and parking in the back.

• Like 3

This development will be good for the area and I don't believe the cross-street in which the parking will be on is going to be super busy, traffic wise. Most EaDo streets are relatively low traffic and also very wide. Obviously this will change as things grow, but I don't think we should get hung up on what will ultimately be a minor thing relative to the overall development. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, so this plan would require chopping a considerable amount off the front of the existing building, no? As it is, the building fronts directly onto the sidewalk, so there's no room for that whole parking lot.

I do wish if they were determined to turn half of the structure into parking, that they did it in the back.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Retail Center At 1102 Delano St.
  • 4 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, cspwal said:

Don't know how reliable this site is, but it says it should be done Apr 2022

https://www.showcase.com/1102-delano-st-houston-tx-77003/23181210/

Based on the images in the link, wouldn't half of the building need to be torn down? How else could you fit in that much parking? I thought there are no parking minimums in Eado. Seems excessive. 

52 minutes ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Based on the images in the link, wouldn't half of the building need to be torn down? How else could you fit in that much parking? I thought there are no parking minimums in Eado. Seems excessive. 

My favorite part of the listing is how it mentions being located in the “[d]ensely populated walkable and bikeable EADO neighborhood” under highlights, yet features an awful, non-pedestrian friendly parking lot layout. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 9:54 AM, Andrew Ewert said:

I didn't look too closely when I walked by it yesterday, but it looked like the entire roof was gone. I could be wrong.

Correcting myself - it does in fact look like only the front section of the building (where parking would go) has had the roof removed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...