World's Fair 2030 / Houston's Bid

Naviguessor

It's definitely a longshot, probably not even worth much speculation. But I'm wondering where local promoters would propose to locate the fair.

It seems to me that NRG park area would be the likely and perhaps only suitable candidate. Of course the Astrodome would be repurposed to house pavilions. A new structure would be designed to be a replacement for NRG arena after the expo (i.e add seats afterward). Some other pavilions could possibly be repurposed for HLSR or exhibit space.

The Pierce Elevated corridor is slated to become available in the mid-2020s, but the shape is not ideal. But maybe adjacent blocks could be acquired and the Pierce Elevated turned into the backbone connecting all the pavilions.

Outside of NRG park, most candidates have availability issues.

East River would be a good candidate for a close-in site, but plans are proceeding to develop it now.

Hardy Yards could be a candidate, if it could be kept undeveloped.

The downtown post office site is probably too small, and plans are already proceeding to redevelop it.

A derelict mall site could be an option. Northwest Mall would be the most suitable, close-in candidate, but of course Texas Central already has plans for it. But if Texas Central cannot raise funding, it could become available. Greenspoint is not the most desirable location.

Now that I think about it, I'm starting to like the Pierce Elevated idea. Of course I'm biased since I made this web site  http://pierceelevatedpark.com/

Archived