SEARCH Homeless Services At 2505 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

This is the surprise of the year for me. Thought "oh, gonna get some nice 10-12 story red brick apartments like the one near 45 in midtown" and then see a baby Caydon sprouting out with GFR. Ridiculous.

Who would have thought the opportunity zone designation would create this type of affordable housing/apartments? Not I! If this starts a trend of affordable development because of the long-term money designation, then I owe people apologies.

And the problem with buying the "undesirable" land is those lots most often times have immense situational value to the owners (concrete plant can't move, the junkyard land has been in the family for 40 years, etc), the land is more expensive than one would expect, or, and you see this alot with downtown/midtown lots, the land is owned by some random oil and gas or international company that is holding the land for the big, big payday. In my experience every commercial real estate developer in-town, and quite a few out of town investment funds, are just trying to buy whatever lot they can (in Midtown/Montrose/Museum/Downtown), however they can but sometimes its too expensive even for them. Can't just snap those fingers!

• Like 7

17 hours ago, zaphod said:

I never suggested that we would house the poor next to junkyards and concrete plants. Instead I am suggesting that we buy the land from under the junkyards and ready mix plants and tear them all down. So those things would be gone(their owners would presumably take the city's offer and move to Crosby)Then replace them with affordable housing development. This kills two birds with one stone - it removes blight AND it adds affordable housing.

But there is no reason to push the poor to the worst areas of town. Many poor people live in this area now and have jobs in this area. To push them away can cause some to no longer be able to access their jobs and assume they could find a new one. There are low paying jobs in this area and they need work staff that can fill those jobs. This allows that to happen. Also, the affordable housing typically has vouchers and they can be lost if tenants aren't following rules of the complex. So fears of it becoming ghetto or some other fear of poor people is often misfounded. Isn't the Hamilton Apartment complex and the 45/59 interchange affordable housing as well?

I said this in another thread but it is amazing how the park that was built in the area has attracted so many massive projects. It is sort of like of Discovery Green ended up surrounded by a lot of residential towers. This project looks great and I hope it happens.

Edited by thatguysly
  • Like 8

20 hours ago, thatguysly said:

But there is no reason to push the poor to the worst areas of town. Many poor people live in this area now and have jobs in this area. To push them away can cause some to no longer be able to access their jobs and assume they could find a new one. There are low paying jobs in this area and they need work staff that can fill those jobs. This allows that to happen.

Exactly this. These types of developments need to be established all throughout the city instead of just concentrated in one area.

It’s also important to note that this isn’t just housing for “the poor.” This is intended to be affordable housing for people such as teachers and first year HPD and HFD cadets, and people working other similar jobs that otherwise meet the income limits. Those jobs exist all throughout the city and it makes sense to allow the opportunity for people to live close to where they work.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

This particular building isn't proving housing for "the poor" *at all.* It's geared toward people making 80% of area median income, so around $50,000 for a couple (regionally at least): http://houstontx.gov/housing/flyers/Area-Median-Income-AMI-19.pdf

It’s technically providing housing for those “at or below” the 80% AMI figure. There is an income ceiling, but some leeway in terms of allowing for people with lower incomes. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 11:27 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

The design isn't entirely dissimilar from the San Felipe Tower plan a few years back. Same architect's work on both proposals.

It’s actually a carbon copy of Lvl 29 in Plano. Same architect, different developer, one more floor. 

0F8E1872-E700-49D6-8616-7C04E6E06645.jpeg

• Like 9

I must say it's a much better building than the parking garage and SEARCH building.

A part of me (the oppositional, sarcastic part) does want to say "I can't believe you want to get rid of that beautiful eyesore of a  parking garage and classic generic 1960's midrise. Do we really want to lose the awesome details on the garage, like the teal safety rails, and the drains that create magic patterns of crap on the vertical facades?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No. I'm not sure what the minimum reqs for residential parking are, but I'm pretty sure they average out to more than one parking spot per apartment.

In a building like this, especially at this location, less than one parking spot per apartment starts to make a lot of sense. They could also price the parking separately to incentivize *not* taking a space.

9 minutes ago, Texasota said:

No. I'm not sure what the minimum reqs for residential parking are, but I'm pretty sure they average out to more than one parking spot per apartment.

In a building like this, especially at this location, less than one parking spot per apartment starts to make a lot of sense. They could also price the parking separately to incentivize *not* taking a space.

1.250 parking spaces for each efficiency dwelling unit

1.333 parking spaces for each one-bedroom dwelling unit

1.666 parking spaces for each two-bedroom dwelling unit

2.0 parking spaces for each dwelling unit with 3 or more bedrooms

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

The issue with parking pricing is that, where a residential landlord issues a parking permit, the term of the permit must extend through the term of the lease after this past legislative session’s amendments to the Texas Property Code (Tex. Prop. Code 92.0132)

From a compliance standpoint, this makes tying a parking spot to a unit the easier way to avoid running afoul of the statute if a landlord is going to provide parking to tenants.

• Like 2