SEARCH Homeless Services At 2505 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-housing-authority-partners-with-california-developer-on-two-multifamily-projects/

The Houston Housing Authority has partnered with the Texas division of AMCAL Multi-Housing Inc.–a housing developer based in Agoura Hills, California–to construct two rent-controlled apartment complexes.

The HHA Board of Commissioners at their July 16 session approved two resolutions with AMTEX Multi-Housing LLC.

Resolution No. 3061 authorizes the housing authority’s president and chief executive officer to execute a Memorandum of Understanding to form a housing development partnership. Under this resolution, AMTEX proposes to build a new affordable apartment property with 370 units.

This resolution was first presented to the Board for consideration at the June session, but it was tabled at the request of a commissioner who wanted more time to discuss the project with AMCAL’s project manager, David Wolf.

“The proposed Midtowndevelopment is located in a federally designated Opportunity Zone (established by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017), as well as a tax increment reinvestment zone (TIRZ),” the resolution states. These government designations provide financing advantages that make it possible to offer apartments at lower cost.

The MOU will ensure that 185 units will go to families earning 80% of the area median income. Of the 185 units, 140 will be one-bedroom units and 45 will be two-bedroom units.

All of the remaining units will be leased at market rates. However, two units will be set aside as living quarters for onsite management.

Neither resolution gave details on an exact location.[.quote]

• Like 7

I'd be interested to see if this is actually in midtown. This group tried to purchase a surface parking lot at the corner of W Dallas and I-45, so it's possible their development might be north of what we all consider midtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HNathoo said:

I'd be interested to see if this is actually in midtown. This group tried to purchase a surface parking lot at the corner of W Dallas and I-45, so it's possible their development might be north of what we all consider midtown.

That release says that it's within a TIRZ, but now within what TIRZ I guess is the question.

I looked up the boundaries of the Midtown TIRZ, and it's pretty close to what we'd define as 'Midtown' http://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzmaps/maps/tirz_2.pdf

Here are the boundaries of the TIRZ in the area: 

dHqOLBH.png

I know that Midtown TIRZ has been buying up properties in the 2nd/3rd wards with the idea to develop them into affordable housing (they have to spend some portion of their budget on affordable housing), so who really knows. 

• Like 2

Good hypothetical spot I think would be here:

7I2Sw1N.jpg

Close to the lightrail, several major bus routes that give great access to other areas, close to a few parks, close to HCC, and about a 5-7min walk to the new Whole Foods.

I'm sure there are other good locations, but this is on block that stuck out immediately to me. It checks all the boxes in my book.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Is SEARCH moving away?

They relocated to Eado a while ago.  They’re at the block bounded by St. Emanuel/Franklin/Chartres/Congress.  Interesting choice of relocation, since I think that’s one of the blocks that gets blown out with the I-45 relocation project, should it actually happen.  

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to AMCAL Midtown (2505 Fannin) - 30-Story Residential High-Rise

I hate to be that guy, and to be clear I'm not opposed to public owned affordable housing development, but...

Isn't it really expensive to build high rise apartment units compared to other forms of housing? Especially buildings like this, it appears to be far more high end than a standard midrise block or concrete slab tower. What kind of factors or variables lead to the decision to put public housing resources into mixed income high rises in one of the ritziest areas of town?

If I was in charge I think I would strategically buy up land that's currently occupied by noxious, trash land uses that hurt surrounding communities, like junkyards and concrete plants around Acres Homes and the Northside. Then I would plow all that under and build tidy looking houses and small apartments there, with trees and stuff. The land must be very cheap, and so would the construction methods for that kind of housing. And instead of it all being apartments, I would mix in some housing to sell to specially qualified persons. Create a real neighborhood.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I pretty much categorically oppose your proposal that the poor should be relegated to trash land, like junkyards and concrete plants. Land, even in midtown, is relatively cheap and is a good spot for middle, lower, and upper classes to co-mingle and go to work together. As for the costs associate with building a high rise. Yes its typically more expensive than a low rise building, BUT, it uses less land to create the same number of units, which also has costs associated with it. 

I never suggested that we would house the poor next to junkyards and concrete plants. Instead I am suggesting that we buy the land from under the junkyards and ready mix plants and tear them all down. So those things would be gone(their owners would presumably take the city's offer and move to Crosby)Then replace them with affordable housing development. This kills two birds with one stone - it removes blight AND it adds affordable housing.

• Like 3

If you go back and read the OP from August 1st, you'll see that what my idea of affordable housing (and your idea maybe) is not correct. I think 'affordable housing' units as being soviet style building blocks or some ghetto ass, run down stick apartment building -- or maybe something as 'nice' as the complex just outside of downtown on Allen Parkway, across from the Fed Reserve.

But in the OP, 'affordable' units will go to those who make 80% of the median income of that area. Of the 387 units in the building, 185 units will be 'affordable' while the rest will go for market value. Two units will be set aside for on-site management. 

20 hours ago, zaphod said:

I hate to be that guy, and to be clear I'm not opposed to public owned affordable housing development, but...

Isn't it really expensive to build high rise apartment units compared to other forms of housing? Especially buildings like this, it appears to be far more high end than a standard midrise block or concrete slab tower. What kind of factors or variables lead to the decision to put public housing resources into mixed income high rises in one of the ritziest areas of town?

If I was in charge I think I would strategically buy up land that's currently occupied by noxious, trash land uses that hurt surrounding communities, like junkyards and concrete plants around Acres Homes and the Northside. Then I would plow all that under and build tidy looking houses and small apartments there, with trees and stuff. The land must be very cheap, and so would the construction methods for that kind of housing. And instead of it all being apartments, I would mix in some housing to sell to specially qualified persons. Create a real neighborhood.

That land isn't as cheap as you think, and many times isn't for sale. Readymix plants can't locate in Crosby if the bulk of the sales are in Houston, as the concrete will set before it arrives at the destination.

• Like 2