21-Story Mixed-Use High-Rise At 514 Elgin St.

ricco67

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am torn a bit......

Good news, true. But, I just seem to feel that we need LOTS of folks living in Downtown and Midtown and we need a variety of options for folks to chose from. I just seem to think that midtown should "feel" mid-rise (or shorter) and downtown should "feel" high-rise.

Townhomes won't be built in downtown. They should be built in mid-town.

Highrises will be built in downtown. They shouldn't be built in midtown.

Of course, none of that has any logic to it, it's just they way I feel.

I am torn a bit......

Good news, true. But, I just seem to feel that we need LOTS of folks living in Downtown and Midtown and we need a variety of options for folks to chose from. I just seem to think that midtown should "feel" mid-rise (or shorter) and downtown should "feel" high-rise.

Townhomes won't be built in downtown. They should be built in mid-town.

Highrises will be built in downtown. They shouldn't be built in midtown.

Of course, none of that has any logic to it, it's just they way I feel.

I'm guessing the term highrise is used loosely in this context. I'm thinking no more than 10-12 stories, although it'd be cool if it was more.

From Bisnow:

ARA's Clark DaltonDavid MarshallTim Dosch, and Tom Dosch (who graciously got up early to meet us at Le Peep) tell us they've handled ninenew apartment development deals in Midtown and the immediate area in the last 15 months. Two of the big ones are Morgan's building on Smith and a redevelopment site on Main. The latter—right on the rail line a few blocks south of the Superblock—is proposed to be the first high-rise in the submarket.

Could this be the site? Also, do we know about all those "future development" projects already?

http://arausa.listinglab.com//MidtownRedevelopmentSite/index.cfm?#&panel1-1

Montrose%20View-01.jpg

I have always felt main st leads itself to towers and offices, as well as high rises.. Once you get of main , then you can scale down

Line Main w/ "short" high rises and scale down eastward and westward, I like it.

Line Main w/ "short" high rises and scale down eastward and westward, I like it.

This implies that we have city planners who understand building scale, city design, and general composition and organization. You are asking a lot here lol

This implies that we have city planners who understand building scale, city design, and general composition and organization. You are asking a lot here lol

Well, I'm sure the market will dictate it anyway since no doubt the lots next to the rail are worth much more than those not. If city planners mandated they be high rises, all the midrises currently planned and already built on it wouldn't exist.

Houston wins again :)

Something tells me the upsizing/downsizing is developers testing the waters and adjusting accordingly. That said, the continued lament of developers that there just aren't enough available lots in the city would tend to favor denser development. Of course, their creative ability to cram 6 rowhouses into a lot that used to hold one old house is unparalleled.

I thought Midtown had a lot more available land than shown in the map above. I guess I've always had this picture in my head of lots of surface parking lots in midtown, I guess I merged it with downtown. Does east of main have more available land? I need to get out more

I thought Midtown had a lot more available land than shown in the map above. I guess I've always had this picture in my head of lots of surface parking lots in midtown, I guess I merged it with downtown. Does east of main have more available land? I need to get out more

There's never been that much surface parking in Midtown. The vacant lots tend to be grassy with a few trees. Downtown is a different story, since any lot that's empty is set up for parking.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived