21-Story Mixed-Use High-Rise At 514 Elgin St.

ricco67

From what I have been hearing, the old "Late Nite Pie" (502 Elgin) location was purchased by the same people that own "Chrome" nightclub over at Shepherd @ Kipling and it's going to be 2 or 3 floors in height!

While nothing has been set in stone, the only thing I can think of is what a horrible location that would be.

The Lot is small, NO parking (Valet options would probably be 24hr garage and the Restaurant in the back), plus the high speed exits from 59 on Brazos.

You'd have to have wreckers posted there on weekends.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh - Crome. Cutsie spelling and all, I thought it wasn't doing so well?

Too bad if they smash up 502 Elgin - used to be Humble service station #124 in the 1920s/30s

So from where have you been hearing this?

Too bad if they smash up 502 Elgin - used to be Humble service station #124 in the 1920s/30s

I have been there, nothing special, but yes, the spelling is a pain.

The first time I went, I tried to located it, and could not find it because I was spelling it Chrome, instead of Crome.

The location was a bar before it was a pizza joint, an icehouse. Parking will be a mess.

It should be converted back into a gas station or corner store.

I've been hearing it from some employees from LNP, but I did some additional verification by some people I know. I've been sitting on it for about 2 weeks before I can get some fact checking. Hopefully they'll just make a draft house or something, knock down the fence and share the parking with the center next door.

I have been there, nothing special, but yes, the spelling is a pain.

The first time I went, I tried to located it, and could not find it because I was spelling it Chrome, instead of Crome.

The location was a bar before it was a pizza joint, an icehouse. Parking will be a mess.

It should be converted back into a gas station or corner store.

Title has been corrected to reflect 'cutsie' spelling. :D

Will they still be pandering to the biker wanna-be crowd? That might help reduce the parking squeeze. Otherwise, that parking lot to the east or valet seem to be the only viable options.

And I agree about the tow trucks on weekends comment. That downhill exit from Spur 527 onto Elgin is already a perfect setup for head-on collisions.

• 1 month later...

Good question. I was driving by the place a few weeks ago and I didn't see any signs of life.

Like most "trendy" bars, this one died a most deserved death.

I have been seeing SOME work being done in the old LNP location, but I can't tell what it is.

Good question. I was driving by the place a few weeks ago and I didn't see any signs of life.

Like most "trendy" bars, this one died a most deserved death.

I have been seeing SOME work being done in the old LNP location, but I can't tell what it is.

A couple of months ago I heard that someone had bought it and was doing renovations...well, "heard" as in overheard the new owner telling a friend of mine. Not sure when it will re-open, but I see cars and some activity there now and then

It would be cool if Crome moved everything out of the old Shepherd location. Weird place for a club.

I thought it was pretty odd at first, too...but really, my only problem was the parking and lack of alternatives. If you got sick of Crome, the only other option was Vintage. Is Vintage still open?

Vintage is still open and is packed every weekend.

That's good to hear...

In other news, I drove by the old LNP location and there was a sign up that said something like "Slate Bar and Grill". "Slate" might not be correct, but it was definitely not for a club

That's good to hear...

In other news, I drove by the old LNP location and there was a sign up that said something like "Slate Bar and Grill". "Slate" might not be correct, but it was definitely not for a club

I was kind of getting the feeling that Upper Kirby may be the new club destination in 5 years. That area already has a solid base of bars between the Shepherd/Richmond strip center, Vintage, Kenneally's, and Red Lion. Once West Ave is finished, not only will the bars and nightlife in that development bring more people in, but also probably attract some renovations to some of the older small buildings along Shepherd and Kirby.

Of course, the land value will also most likely skyrocket once all of this happens, so who knows.

I was kind of getting the feeling that Upper Kirby may be the new club destination in 5 years. That area already has a solid base of bars between the Shepherd/Richmond strip center, Vintage, Kenneally's, and Red Lion. Once West Ave is finished, not only will the bars and nightlife in that development bring more people in, but also probably attract some renovations to some of the older small buildings along Shepherd and Kirby.

Of course, the land value will also most likely skyrocket once all of this happens, so who knows.

Yeah, who knows? Shepherd Plaza apparently used to be the trendy area back in the late 90's, but you'd never know looking at it today... You've also got rail coming down Richmond in the next few years as well, and ever increasing density in the form of more and more apartments. I don't know a lot about what is behind the moves the club scene tends to make, but lately it tends to be in more transitional areas...like Midtown and Washington Ave. One could argue that Upper Kirby, in large part, doesn't quite fit the mold - maybe something more like the East End? I'm also not sure an infusion of new clubs really drives up land prices, but I wouldn't mind some renovations in some of the rougher buildings; however, the area seems to be doing pretty well already without necessarily being a club destination

One could argue that Upper Kirby, in large part, doesn't quite fit the mold - maybe something more like the East End? I'm also not sure an infusion of new clubs really drives up land prices, but I wouldn't mind some renovations in some of the rougher buildings; however, the area seems to be doing pretty well already without necessarily being a club destination

The Near East End, or East Downtown (as long as it's not called EaDO or something!) would make sense. There are already 2 live music venues (Meridian and Warehouse) Lucky's is doing well. I bet the old Axiom (ah...memories) on McKinney is in workable shape. I like the idea of clubs in warehouse districts because you can designate plenty of parking. I also think it would be cool to integrate more intimate pubs with smaller galleries and performance spaces.

That's good to hear...

Its going to be called Saint Dane's....no word on if its just a bar or will also sell food.

• 1 month later...
shouldn't this topic be on the Midtown board?

I agree. Elgin is Midtown, Westheimer is Montrose - topic moved, retitled.

From what I have been hearing, the old "Late Nite Pie" (502 Elgin) location was purchased by the same people that own "Chrome" nightclub over at Shepherd @ Kipling and it's going to be 2 or 3 floors in height!

Has any connection to Crome been confirmed?

Review in Houston Press here

• 4 weeks later...
A couple of months ago I heard that someone had bought it and was doing renovations...well, "heard" as in overheard the new owner telling a friend of mine. Not sure when it will re-open, but I see cars and some activity there now and then

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I'm sure everyone has been anxiously awaiting news on what was formerly known as Crome. :) Judging by this recent permit, "Pravada" is on the horizon: Link

• 5 years later...

From Bisnow:

ARA's Clark DaltonDavid MarshallTim Dosch, and Tom Dosch (who graciously got up early to meet us at Le Peep) tell us they've handled ninenew apartment development deals in Midtown and the immediate area in the last 15 months. Two of the big ones are Morgan's building on Smith and a redevelopment site on Main. The latter—right on the rail line a few blocks south of the Superblock—is proposed to be the first high-rise in the submarket.

Archived