Non Passenger Access in Airports Past Security

DH3

Are there any other countries besides Australia that nationally allow anyone who is not a passenger to visit the secure area of an airport, but with the requirement to still go through security and follow the same rules as passengers. I also know Pittsburgh Airport has a program that allows such access.

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

I think SeaTac also has a pilot program for non-passengers to go through security to the gates. 

I'm old enough to remember meeting people at the gate (but we still had to go through security)

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/airports-allowing-non-ticketed-visitors-through-security

Tampa

Pittsburgh (because they built a large shopping component in their very large underutilized terminal and they are trying to get people to come to the airport to do some shopping)

Both require registration before going to the security lines.

Seattle had a month-long test in November 2018

Another program in Detroit:  https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/10/24/detroit-metro-is-the-latest-airport-to-allow-non-ticketed-passengers-inside-departure-area-under-dtw-destination-pass/

This seems like a good place to insert a gripe I've had for a while. 
Non-ticketed people are not permitted in the secure areas, but often that's the only place in the entire airport where food or beverages can be purchased.
Those who show up to meet someone at the airport and discover that the flight has been delayed have to choose between going hungry (perhaps for hours), or going elsewhere, paying to park twice, and possibly missing the person they came to meet. 
Would it be too much to ask to provide a restaurant for those who have business at the airport, but who don't need to go through an already overburdened security check?
Even a vending machine or two would be a godsend.

58 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

This seems like a good place to insert a gripe I've had for a while. 
Non-ticketed people are not permitted in the secure areas, but often that's the only place in the entire airport where food or beverages can be purchased.
Those who show up to meet someone at the airport and discover that the flight has been delayed have to choose between going hungry (perhaps for hours), or going elsewhere, paying to park twice, and possibly missing the person they came to meet. 
Would it be too much to ask to provide a restaurant for those who have business at the airport, but who don't need to go through an already overburdened security check?
Even a vending machine or two would be a godsend.

There are a number ways to fix this issue: 

Bush Airport:

#1.  Check flight status on-line before going to the airport.  That will take care of the vast majority of delay issues.

#2. Take the subway over to the Marirott Hotel.

#3. Starbucks pre-security Terminal A

#4 Starbucks pre-security Terminal D

#5 Subway pre-security Terminal A

#6 Peet's Coffee pre-security Terminal B

#7 Starbucks Terminal E International Arrivals Hall

Hobby Airport:

#1 Check flight status on-line before going to the airport.

#2 Pappas BBQ pre-security

#3 vending machines outside of security

Interestingly, the Fort Worth newspaper recently had an article discussing how little business the vendors do outside of security at DFW. 

Archived