Annoying/Common Comments

Naviguessor

So there are some haif member comments which can annoy and irritate the senses. I think it’s natural but BOY they can get your goat. Flip remarks about progress, or traffic, or the way Metro spends money. What is yours?  Mine is...

“Is it just me or...?”

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, Naviguessor said:

So there are some haif member comments which can annoy and irritate the senses. I think it’s natural but BOY they can get your goat. Flip remarks about progress, or traffic, or the way Metro spends money. What is yours?  Mine is...

“Is it just me or...?”

If I understand you correctly, yes. A few come to mind:
1. People who dismiss any structure that's more than 20 years old as "an eyesore that should be torn down".
2. People who, whenever someone expresses disappointment about the imminent demolition of an historic building, smugly suggest "So why don't you just buy it yourself, then?"  (There's a reply that's just begging to be made to that query but voicing it would probably get me suspended or barred from HAIF.) 
3. "After all, the rail was a boondoggle. NOBODY rides it." (Then who ARE those humanoids who keep competing with me to find a seat?)

I'm sure there's more. If something peeves me, I'll sure to let you know. 😀

I've met a lot of people IRL who think the train has no riders and just disrupts traffic.  I guess people remember the one article from when it opened and that's the conventional wisdom, even when the red line is running as many trains as possible at rush hour to accommodate the riders

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

I've met a lot of people IRL who think the train has no riders and just disrupts traffic.  I guess people remember the one article from when it opened and that's the conventional wisdom, even when the red line is running as many trains as possible at rush hour to accommodate the riders

Considering the size of Houston there are people that never venture inside the loop and think people that live there are crazy.

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Along with the people IRL who refuse to ride the train because they're "afraid [they'll] get knifed" (verbatim quotation). 🤷‍♂️

Some of the comments I've heard:

"They built it in the street they should have made it a subway"

Same person - "They spent way to much money on building a train that no one would ride"

"It's a commuter rail that only goes around downtown - useless to actually commute to work"

7 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Considering the size of Houston there are people that never venture inside the loop and think people that live there are crazy.

Booga booga! Danger!

Signed, Confirmed Inner-Looper Since 1982

7 hours ago, mollusk said:

Along with the people IRL who refuse to ride the train because they're "afraid [they'll] get knifed" (verbatim quotation). 🤷‍♂️

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd bet that there's a non-zero overlap between these people and the ones who don't hesitate to whip out a pistol and wave it around when someone cuts them off during their daily commute. 

• The title was changed to Annoying/Common Comments

Archived