Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

Haven at Elgin: Student Housing High-Rise by Guefen Development

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

It looks like in 60 years it'll be haunted. 

It unfortunately reminds me of Soviet bloc housing. haha Wouldn't surprise me if it looked like this in 30 years

 

Image result for soviet bloc housing red

  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Soviet stuff is more attractive. As y'all know I don't like to be a downer but I am not a fan of suitcase handles on buildings. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also right at a train station, will also be on the BRT blue line whatever it will be called

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

One of my friends was robbed at knife point at that Chevron. Ahhh college.

I actually go to UH and people try to avoid Scott at all cost. Like if we want to go to midtown, we'd get on the highway instead of just driving down Elgin 😂. 7 of my friends on separate occasions got robbed on Scott/ that area of UH within the past 2 years. However, crime has gotten better this past year, I remember last year we would get an email EVERY WEEK about a robbery on campus. Can't wait for 3rd Ward to be redeveloped.....

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

I actually go to UH and people try to avoid Scott at all cost. Like if we want to go to midtown, we'd get on the highway instead of just driving down Elgin 😂. 7 of my friends on separate occasions got robbed on Scott/ that area of UH within the past 2 years. However, crime has gotten better this past year, I remember last year we would get an email EVERY WEEK about a robbery on campus. Can't wait for 3rd Ward to be redeveloped.....

Or maybe we need to stop trying to insert our privilege into minority neighborhoods. "Oh let's just kick them out so that we can feel safe "

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Caleb said:

Or maybe we need to stop trying to insert our privilege into minority neighborhoods. "Oh let's just kick them out so that we can feel safe "

Not being afraid of physical harm is a privilege these days?

 

It's not "feel" safer, clearly there is an issue with actual safety and people getting killed or harmed. 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iah77 said:

Not being afraid of physical harm is a privilege these days?

 

It's not "feel" safer, clearly there is an issue with actual safety and people getting killed or harmed. 

Interesting, there are hundreds of robberies reported in Galleria and it's a nicely developed area. "Redeveloping" an area to force life long residents out of their neighborhoods isn't the solution to crime. Suggesting to simply replace them is a privilege because they have no choice. No one else wanted to reside in these neighborhoods because of who was there. Now suddenly it needs to be redeveloped to fit the needs of those who moved far away to be "better off". 

Edited by Caleb
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caleb said:

Interesting, there are hundreds of robberies reported in Galleria and it's a nicely developed area. "Redeveloping" an area to force life long residents out of their neighborhoods isn't the solution to crime. Suggesting to simply replace them is a privilege because they have no choice. No one else wanted to reside in these neighborhoods because of who was there. Now suddenly it needs to be redeveloped to fit the needs of those who moved far away to be "better off". 

 

So what's you'r solution to the crime? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caleb said:

Interesting, there are hundreds of robberies reported in Galleria and it's a nicely developed area. "Redeveloping" an area to force life long residents out of their neighborhoods isn't the solution to crime. Suggesting to simply replace them is a privilege because they have no choice. No one else wanted to reside in these neighborhoods because of who was there. Now suddenly it needs to be redeveloped to fit the needs of those who moved far away to be "better off". 

I was WAITING for someone to cry about physically pulling of people out of their homes 😂. You're MADDD if you think a high density mall and the surrounding neighborhoods get anywhere near the amount of robberies that the 3rd ward gets. Don't compare the couple of crimes that happen to one of the densest areas in Houston to 3rd ward which literally has weekly crimes with 1/10 the population the galleria area has, so get your facts straight. I live in the galleria and I go to school at UH so I get know whats going on around near me :). This whole "suggesting to replace them," "force residents out of their neighborhoods," and "no one wanted to move here, so they cant have interest here" is sooooooo entitled. You buy a house--> the area increases in property value due to proximity or whatever the case--> people can either afford it or cant. You think if you bought a home it should have the SAME taxes as it did YEARS ago just because they're a minority? The 3rd ward is LITERALLY nestled between Midtown, Downtown, and the Texas Medical Center (the world's largest), its Cleary not a minority/ race issue. Property values is increases EVERYWHERE! Also, you're extremely contradicting, you're complaining that no one wanted to live there back then, and now that people want to live there because of LOCATION (not bc they have a plot to remove all minorities), you're saying its not fair because its "forcing people out of their homes." No one is being forced; you can either can afford it or can't. Oh and lastly, my "privilege" comes from my 2 immigrant parents who came here (legally) from a 3rd world country w/ nothing in their pockets/ not even a "3rd ward" roof over their heads/ started with NOTHING. So this "privileged" idea is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. My parents and almost ALL my friend's overseas parents went through the same thing and made a better life for themselves. Worry about economic development and outreach programs to kids in the 3rd ward instead the simple business/real-estate concept of supply & demand.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one should be excluded from living in any neighborhood they can afford whether it's labeled white, minority, Italian, Greek, Chinese etc.   In my childhood neighborhoods were segregated throughout a large part of the United States. This was officially ended decades ago.  I live now in a very racially and ethnically mixed affluent neighborhood in the suburbs.  In my opinion it is exponentially better than it used to be. As for being labeled "privileged",   Thank You.  Like many folks in Houston I  had wonderful immigrant parents who sacrificed greatly so my brothers and I could succeed in this country of great opportunity. To my folks and all the people who sacrificed to keep this a free country I will be eternally grateful . 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

In my childhood neighborhoods were segregated throughout a large part of the United States. This was officially ended decades ago.  I live now in a very racially and ethnically mixed affluent neighborhood in the suburbs. 

 

Officially, sure. Black families still have a harder time getting home loans though, and the after effects of redlining on family wealth aren't going to dissipate for a long time. Those of us with Boomer parents who were able to buy a home and use it as wealth generating tool started out in a much better position than those whose parents were refused loans, have had to rent, and will not only *not benefit* from an improving neighborhood with higher property values, but will actually have to leave because they can't afford the rent anymore. And the percentage of renters in greater Third Ward is *very* high.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texasota said:

 

 

Edited by iah77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

come on everyone. One guy with zero post history decides that the first thing they are going to do is not comment about architecture...on an architecture forum, and instead chooses to comment exclusively on race and perceived "privileges" of others. Doesn't that seem fishy to y'all and if thats the case, why bother getting into all of this bs? That person is clearly baiting people, and isn't here for the reasons most of us are here to discuss. Especially when this is a post about one low-rent highrise apartment complex and not about the intricacies of race relations.

Edited by Luminare
further clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Luminare said:

come on everyone. One guy with zero post history decides that the first thing they are going to do is not comment about architecture...on an architecture forum, and instead chooses to comment exclusively on race and perceived "privileges" of others. Doesn't that seem fishy to y'all and if thats the case, why bother getting into all of this bs? That person is clearly baiting people, and isn't here for the reasons most of us are here to discuss. Especially when this is a post about one low-rent highrise apartment complex and not about the intricacies of race relations.

Good point. I guess I fell for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Luminare said:

come on everyone. One guy with zero post history decides that the first thing they are going to do is not comment about architecture...on an architecture forum, and instead chooses to comment exclusively on race and perceived "privileges" of others. Doesn't that seem fishy to y'all and if thats the case, why bother getting into all of this bs? That person is clearly baiting people, and isn't here for the reasons most of us are here to discuss. Especially when this is a post about one low-rent highrise apartment complex and not about the intricacies of race relations.

I’m not here to bait anyone. I just offered my opinion on a closely related topic that so happened to have been the most recent post. I’ll offer my insightful architecture related comments in due time and you all will grow to love me. 😊 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, htownbro said:

Is this an affordable housing apartment complex?

 

Nobody knows yet. I'm assuming its cheap student housing. When I say "low-rent" I was more referring to the buildings aesthetics haha. I actually thought the prior discussion about it looking like Soviet block housing was interesting due to the fact that it resembles a lot of old soviet block housing refreshes that are happening all over Germany and in particular East Berlin.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Caleb said:

I’m not here to bait anyone. I just offered my opinion on a closely related topic that so happened to have been the most recent post. I’ll offer my insightful architecture related comments in due time and you all will grow to love me. 😊 

 

Are you someone who believes that first impressions are important?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Caleb said:

I’m not here to bait anyone. I just offered my opinion on a closely related topic that so happened to have been the most recent post. I’ll offer my insightful architecture related comments in due time and you all will grow to love me. 😊 

From someone who has been through the hazing portion of trying to join in and contribute to HAIF over the years - just a few words of advice:   When you comment on here, just know that there are several "blogging police" (self appointed vigilantes in a way) on HAIF that think it's okay to call out others, no matter if there's a valid point or not, and this even comes from higher ups within the forum (so much for expecting an inkling or even appearance of neutrality.)  I guess just take it in stride and contribute, like I do, as you see fit, especially in order to correct the many wrong perceptions people bring into this forum about Houston and our architecture.  This includes, believe it or not, many locals that have been here for decades.  I would expect nothing less if and when I speak up and my assertions are veritably wrong.  Don't take it too personally.  It's just some of the longer surviving HAIF members "peeing" to mark their territory as it were, and to enforce their superiority over us peons.  On the flip side, there are actually many other fair HAIF members that are pretty awesome and will compliment or recognize your contributions that have real merit.  Just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when that happens.  Of course, there must be the possibility of a small group of fake little dallas-type "bots" on here as well LOL !

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

From someone who has been through the hazing portion of trying to join in and contribute to HAIF over the years - just a few words of advice:   When you comment on here, just know that there are several "blogging police" (self appointed vigilantes in a way) on HAIF that think it's okay to call out others, no matter if there's a valid point or not, and this even comes from higher ups within the forum (so much for expecting an inkling or even appearance of neutrality.)  I guess just take it in stride and contribute, like I do, as you see fit, especially in order to correct the many wrong perceptions people bring into this forum about Houston and our architecture.  This includes, believe it or not, many locals that have been here for decades.  I would expect nothing less if and when I speak up and my assertions are veritably wrong.  Don't take it too personally.  It's just some of the longer surviving HAIF members "peeing" to mark their territory as it were, and to enforce their superiority over us peons.  On the flip side, there are actually many other fair HAIF members that are pretty awesome and will compliment or recognize your contributions that have real merit.  Just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when that happens.  Of course, there must be the possibility of a small group of fake little dallas-type "bots" on here as well LOL !

Well received advice. Thank you!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Caleb said:

Well received advice. Thank you!

 

Sounds like someone trying to sell you something disguised as charity. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I signed up for a free Crowdstreet account and there is lots more info. Looks like the site is actually the current site of City Cathedral Church.

 

A 166 unit, 651 bed Class A luxury student housing 16-story, high-rise development project in Houston, Texas adjacent to the University of Houston.

 

The Property is a series of tracts totaling approximately 1.31 acres located at 3701 Elgin in Houston, TX, approximately 100 feet from the UH. 

 

The subject Property Site is located approximately 100 feet North of the UH Campus across Elgin St. from campus. The Property is located in a traditional student housing area, which benefits from significant student traffic due to its premium location. The Site is a block away from the city lightrail and a block away from the campus shuttle, offering students multiple convenient transportation options.

 

The University is landlocked on the east and the school has agreed with Texas Southern University not to extend west past Scott St, which currently borders the University on the west, leaving the north and the south end of campus as the only possible areas of expansion. With the south end of the campus slated for a medical school development site, the north end of campus is where future university development will occur. Current developments on the north end of campus include a new Arts District development, Law Center and Hofheinz Center renovation. University development activity on the north end of campus will further drive student housing demand in the immediate area.

 

Total expected price is $79.4 million and they want to sell it for 107.5 million in year 4 with 95% occupancy.

 

 

  • Closing on the Land: Guefen Development has the necessary equity to close on the land. They plan to do so on Dec. 2, 2019. They are giving CrowdStreet investors the opportunity to backfill additional equity up to $15,002,386. Please note, this will not change the Sponsor co-investment. The new offers due date is Dec. 16, 2019.
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, Luminare said:

 

Sounds like someone trying to sell you something disguised as charity. Good luck.

 

Wow, just wow...  Oh well, can't placate everyone, but thanks for verifying my observations !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...