Haven At Elgin: Student Housing High-Rise At 3719 Elgin St.

Urbannizer

43 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

I actually go to UH and people try to avoid Scott at all cost. Like if we want to go to midtown, we'd get on the highway instead of just driving down Elgin 😂. 7 of my friends on separate occasions got robbed on Scott/ that area of UH within the past 2 years. However, crime has gotten better this past year, I remember last year we would get an email EVERY WEEK about a robbery on campus. Can't wait for 3rd Ward to be redeveloped.....

Or maybe we need to stop trying to insert our privilege into minority neighborhoods. "Oh let's just kick them out so that we can feel safe "

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, iah77 said:

Not being afraid of physical harm is a privilege these days?

It's not "feel" safer, clearly there is an issue with actual safety and people getting killed or harmed. 

Interesting, there are hundreds of robberies reported in Galleria and it's a nicely developed area. "Redeveloping" an area to force life long residents out of their neighborhoods isn't the solution to crime. Suggesting to simply replace them is a privilege because they have no choice. No one else wanted to reside in these neighborhoods because of who was there. Now suddenly it needs to be redeveloped to fit the needs of those who moved far away to be "better off". 

Edited by Caleb
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Caleb said:

Interesting, there are hundreds of robberies reported in Galleria and it's a nicely developed area. "Redeveloping" an area to force life long residents out of their neighborhoods isn't the solution to crime. Suggesting to simply replace them is a privilege because they have no choice. No one else wanted to reside in these neighborhoods because of who was there. Now suddenly it needs to be redeveloped to fit the needs of those who moved far away to be "better off". 

So what's you'r solution to the crime? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caleb said:

I was WAITING for someone to cry about physically pulling of people out of their homes 😂. You're MADDD if you think a high density mall and the surrounding neighborhoods get anywhere near the amount of robberies that the 3rd ward gets. Don't compare the couple of crimes that happen to one of the densest areas in Houston to 3rd ward which literally has weekly crimes with 1/10 the population the galleria area has, so get your facts straight. I live in the galleria and I go to school at UH so I get know whats going on around near me :). This whole "suggesting to replace them," "force residents out of their neighborhoods," and "no one wanted to move here, so they cant have interest here" is sooooooo entitled. You buy a house--> the area increases in property value due to proximity or whatever the case--> people can either afford it or cant. You think if you bought a home it should have the SAME taxes as it did YEARS ago just because they're a minority? The 3rd ward is LITERALLY nestled between Midtown, Downtown, and the Texas Medical Center (the world's largest), its Cleary not a minority/ race issue. Property values is increases EVERYWHERE! Also, you're extremely contradicting, you're complaining that no one wanted to live there back then, and now that people want to live there because of LOCATION (not bc they have a plot to remove all minorities), you're saying its not fair because its "forcing people out of their homes." No one is being forced; you can either can afford it or can't. Oh and lastly, my "privilege" comes from my 2 immigrant parents who came here (legally) from a 3rd world country w/ nothing in their pockets/ not even a "3rd ward" roof over their heads/ started with NOTHING. So this "privileged" idea is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. My parents and almost ALL my friend's overseas parents went through the same thing and made a better life for themselves. Worry about economic development and outreach programs to kids in the 3rd ward instead the simple business/real-estate concept of supply & demand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

No one should be excluded from living in any neighborhood they can afford whether it's labeled white, minority, Italian, Greek, Chinese etc.   In my childhood neighborhoods were segregated throughout a large part of the United States. This was officially ended decades ago.  I live now in a very racially and ethnically mixed affluent neighborhood in the suburbs.  In my opinion it is exponentially better than it used to be. As for being labeled "privileged",   Thank You.  Like many folks in Houston I  had wonderful immigrant parents who sacrificed greatly so my brothers and I could succeed in this country of great opportunity. To my folks and all the people who sacrificed to keep this a free country I will be eternally grateful . 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

In my childhood neighborhoods were segregated throughout a large part of the United States. This was officially ended decades ago.  I live now in a very racially and ethnically mixed affluent neighborhood in the suburbs. 

Officially, sure. Black families still have a harder time getting home loans though, and the after effects of redlining on family wealth aren't going to dissipate for a long time. Those of us with Boomer parents who were able to buy a home and use it as wealth generating tool started out in a much better position than those whose parents were refused loans, have had to rent, and will not only *not benefit* from an improving neighborhood with higher property values, but will actually have to leave because they can't afford the rent anymore. And the percentage of renters in greater Third Ward is *very* high.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

come on everyone. One guy with zero post history decides that the first thing they are going to do is not comment about architecture...on an architecture forum, and instead chooses to comment exclusively on race and perceived "privileges" of others. Doesn't that seem fishy to y'all and if thats the case, why bother getting into all of this bs? That person is clearly baiting people, and isn't here for the reasons most of us are here to discuss. Especially when this is a post about one low-rent highrise apartment complex and not about the intricacies of race relations.

Edited by Luminare
further clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Luminare said:

come on everyone. One guy with zero post history decides that the first thing they are going to do is not comment about architecture...on an architecture forum, and instead chooses to comment exclusively on race and perceived "privileges" of others. Doesn't that seem fishy to y'all and if thats the case, why bother getting into all of this bs? That person is clearly baiting people, and isn't here for the reasons most of us are here to discuss. Especially when this is a post about one low-rent highrise apartment complex and not about the intricacies of race relations.

Good point. I guess I fell for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I’m not here to bait anyone. I just offered my opinion on a closely related topic that so happened to have been the most recent post. I’ll offer my insightful architecture related comments in due time and you all will grow to love me. 😊 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, htownbro said:

Is this an affordable housing apartment complex?

Nobody knows yet. I'm assuming its cheap student housing. When I say "low-rent" I was more referring to the buildings aesthetics haha. I actually thought the prior discussion about it looking like Soviet block housing was interesting due to the fact that it resembles a lot of old soviet block housing refreshes that are happening all over Germany and in particular East Berlin.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Caleb said:

I’m not here to bait anyone. I just offered my opinion on a closely related topic that so happened to have been the most recent post. I’ll offer my insightful architecture related comments in due time and you all will grow to love me. 😊 

Are you someone who believes that first impressions are important?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Caleb said:

From someone who has been through the hazing portion of trying to join in and contribute to HAIF over the years - just a few words of advice:   When you comment on here, just know that there are several "blogging police" (self appointed vigilantes in a way) on HAIF that think it's okay to call out others, no matter if there's a valid point or not, and this even comes from higher ups within the forum (so much for expecting an inkling or even appearance of neutrality.)  I guess just take it in stride and contribute, like I do, as you see fit, especially in order to correct the many wrong perceptions people bring into this forum about Houston and our architecture.  This includes, believe it or not, many locals that have been here for decades.  I would expect nothing less if and when I speak up and my assertions are veritably wrong.  Don't take it too personally.  It's just some of the longer surviving HAIF members "peeing" to mark their territory as it were, and to enforce their superiority over us peons.  On the flip side, there are actually many other fair HAIF members that are pretty awesome and will compliment or recognize your contributions that have real merit.  Just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when that happens.  Of course, there must be the possibility of a small group of fake little dallas-type "bots" on here as well LOL !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

From someone who has been through the hazing portion of trying to join in and contribute to HAIF over the years - just a few words of advice:   When you comment on here, just know that there are several "blogging police" (self appointed vigilantes in a way) on HAIF that think it's okay to call out others, no matter if there's a valid point or not, and this even comes from higher ups within the forum (so much for expecting an inkling or even appearance of neutrality.)  I guess just take it in stride and contribute, like I do, as you see fit, especially in order to correct the many wrong perceptions people bring into this forum about Houston and our architecture.  This includes, believe it or not, many locals that have been here for decades.  I would expect nothing less if and when I speak up and my assertions are veritably wrong.  Don't take it too personally.  It's just some of the longer surviving HAIF members "peeing" to mark their territory as it were, and to enforce their superiority over us peons.  On the flip side, there are actually many other fair HAIF members that are pretty awesome and will compliment or recognize your contributions that have real merit.  Just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when that happens.  Of course, there must be the possibility of a small group of fake little dallas-type "bots" on here as well LOL !

Well received advice. Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1