Neartown/Montrose Hosts Run Off Candidates District C

trymahjong

Wow

I got my dates mixed up

Today Neartown hosts DA Kim Ogg

heres the info on District C candidate run

From the Neartown presidents email

With the race to represent City Council District C going to a runoff, Neartown is teaming up with our adjacent Super Neighborhood, University Place, to co-sponsor a Candidate Forum. We urge you to take advantage of this opportunity to meet the two remaining contenders in the District C race, Abbie Kamin and Shelley Kennedy, and hear their positions on issues important to our city and our neighborhoods.

Houston City Council District C Candidate Forum

6:00 pm, Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Congregation Emanu El, 1500 Sunset Blvd.

The runoff election for this and other local races is Saturday, December 14, with early voting starting November 27th. Check www.harrisvotes.com for

Heard DA Kim Ogg speak

beside the frightening statistic that 100,000 cases come through her office but only 345 on staff.

she spoke about that 1mil$ for bail reform but it can only be directed towards the  accused.... no $ for extra courts, court staff, DA’s, PD’s, etc only $ for accused........ what’s up with that?

DA’s office is posting her remarks on internet but forgot Internet address.

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Heard DA Kim Ogg speak

beside the frightening statistic that 100,000 cases come through her office but only 345 on staff.

she spoke about that 1mil$ for bail reform but it can only be directed towards the  accused.... no $ for extra courts, court staff, DA’s, PD’s, etc only $ for accused........ what’s up with that?

DA’s office is posting her remarks on internet but forgot Internet address.

Ogg has made no friends since she was elected. She's fired a bunch of folks, and has apparently made a complete mess out of the DA's office. She was against the bail reform settlement, and also went in front of the County Commissioners demanding a large budget increase without any justification or support. I'll be voting for her opponent.

Speaking of voting, early voting opens today.

She and I seem to pop up at various “ anti crime events” enough that I have become familiar without really knowing my name etc.  I’ve talked to her a few times here and there. I’ve met a few of the “fired” staff.  I’ve met a few of the new staff as the DA office sends asst DA to attend PIP meetings.Kim Ogg always seemed to be on board that non violent crimes committed by poorer people shouldn’t mean months of incarceration because bail was too expensive. But the repeat offenders in crimes like assault or robbery seem to get on her nerves when released on OR’s and never have to put up money. I agree— just how many times can you justify no $ bail to a person who commits those crimes over and over.

IMO........I’ve lived  in Houston from DA  Chuck Rosenthal forward  and each DA had more than its share of Uh...ah. ....drama.

So the hiring and firing mentioned etc doesn't seem more sedate nor more thoughtless that the previous office holders.From the outside looking in — the DA, the DA staff etc seems very complicated.  So, for me, I’m backing Kim Ogg even if I’m in the minority .

One of of my kids is a criminal lawyer and sees DA office as short staffed. That impacts efficiency. Non efficiency impacts justice.

on that note .... I’m still confused that the big bucks thrown at the bail situation leaves me puzzled.   If all that $$$ will only be used on those that commit crime, and not used to help the entire system, which seems to need help- why was it set up that way.

• The title was changed to Neartown/Montrose Hosts Run Off Candidates District C

Archived