Warehouse - 5521 Navigation Blvd.

This thread was originally created October 30, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming.

A vacant 1950's warehouse in the Second Ward at 5521 Navigation Blvd will be repurposed. I am unaware of the property ownership.

From an old Loopnet listing:

Building size: 7,716 SF

DeJC8C8.jpg

(Loopnet)

Google Map street view screenshots from August 2016:

zOSY21E.jpg

rjhjIUd.jpg

This was originally posted  October 30, 2017 in the previous thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The warehouse at 5521 Navigation Blvd is rumored for a brewery and taproom. The name is either TopHill Brewing Company or Symbolic Brewing Company.

This will be the second brewery in the Second Ward, Sigma Brewing being the other. I think there's another brewery coming to Second Ward at The Plant at Harrisburg (3401 Harrisburg).

This was originally posted  October 31, 2017 in the previous thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Used Google to see if there were any renderings or details about the brewery for 5521 Navigation Blvd. I didn't find much.

I saw a deleted Facebook page for TopHill Brewing Company that matched the address
https://www.facebook.com/TopHill-Brewing-Company-1788944421423726/

I also a LinkedIn page for someone who is a founder of Symbolic Brewing Company in Houston. The person worked in some capacity of Flying Saucer in downtown Houston.

This was originally posted  July 11, 2018 in the previous thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Construction is beginning on the warehouse at 5521 Navigation Blvd in Houston, soon to be Symbolic Brewing Company.

From Symbolic Brewing Co's Facebook:

HGST2Ef.jpg

This was in the previous thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Naviguessor, July 11, 2018 in the thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd.

This is going to be great.  BBP is really focusing on the wharf and old crane structure on Turkey Bend, just behind this brewery.   I can see these two concepts coming together nicely. 

This was in the previous thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel July 31, 2018 in the thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd.

More on Symbolic Brewing Co., coming to 5521 Navigation Blvd in Houston's Second Ward.

From Houston Business Journal, behind a pay-wall:

...And with his new venture, Symbolic Brewing Co., Caleb Hawkins hopes to bring a taste of the German beer culture into the heart of Houston. 

"We’re not gearing (it) toward the beer nerds," Hawkins said. "They're more than welcome, but we’re much more interested in the community and having families there."

Symbolic Brewing will occupy just under an acre at 5521 Navigation Blvd., a tract of land that sits right on Buffalo Bayou and adjacent to a large barge dock that the Buffalo Bayou Partnership owns on the bayou. Hawkins and his family – his younger sister, Nellen; his older brother, Oliver and their parents – bought the land at the beginning of 2017 from an individual seller. Though the purchase price of the land wasn't disclosed, the land's value was appraised at $301,356 in January 2017, per city records.

The tract of land contains a few unique commercial properties that'll be redeveloped into a brewery and beer garden, Hawkins said. There's a 5,000-square-foot brick and concrete office building that lost its roof in a fire more than a decade ago; that building will be transformed into the brewery's beer garden and be filled with lots of greenery and topped with a shade cloth on warmer days. There's also a 2,300-square-foot industrial building that'll become the brewery's air conditioned tap room. The 9,000-square-foot property will become Symbolic Brewing's production center.

...Construction should start on Symbolic's brewery by the end of the year, Hawkins said, and the brewery should deliver by 2019.

...Hawkins said that the Buffalo Bayou Partnership is discussing the possibility of launching boat tours from the barge just adjacent to Symbolic Brewing Co.'s land.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/07/30/exclusive-former-buffalo-bayou-brewer-planning.html

This was in the previous thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by thedistrict84 July 31, 2018 in the thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd.

This will be a very welcome addition to the neighborhood. And, depending on how the eastward extension of the trail is routed, it could make for an appealing destination for bike and pedestrian traffic along the Buffalo Bayou hike and bike trail. Boat tours originating at that part of the Bayou/Ship Channel also sound very interesting.

This is a very exciting time to be living in the East End!

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 24, 2019 in the thread for 5521 Navigation Blvd.

Update on the renovation and build out of Symbolic Brewing Co., the brewery at 5521 Navigation Blvd in Houston:

Someone asked a week ago on Instagram or Facebook about the progress. Symbolic said it was slowly progressing. 

• The title was changed to 5521 Navigation Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Warehouse - 5521 Navigation Blvd.

Archived