Hass Center At 5815 Gulf Fwy.

This thread was originally created August 29, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

5815 Gulf Fwy ( 5845 Interstate-45 S or 5845 I-45 South ) in the Idylwood neighborhood. This is part of the Lawndale / Wayside area of Houston, near or part of the Greater East End area.

XHwSbIi.jpg

qqUhdkW.jpg

cgiP1DC.jpg

Po43vGc.jpg

Street View:

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted  August 29, 2019 in the previous thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From a 2016 Loopnet listing for 5815 Gulf Fwy in the Idylwood neighborhood. This is part of the Lawndale / Wayside area of Houston, near or part of the Greater East End area.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19777282/5815-Gulf-Freeway-Houston-TX/  (archive link)

Building Size 54,615 SF 
Property Type Retail 
Property Sub-type Free Standing Bldg
Additional Sub-types:   Office Showroom, Office-Warehouse , Retail (Other)
Lot Size 5.05 AC

Marcus & Millichap is pleased to exclusively offer for sale the Mattress Firm Headquarters building, located at 5815 Gulf Freeway in Houston, Texas. The property has been recently renovated and has been home to Mattress Firm since 2006. The tenant has five years remaining on their lease with the upcoming renewal being at market rate. The tenant has invested significant money into leasehold improvements and is paying significantly below-market rent.

The property is located just off the corner of Interstate 45 and Highway 90 Alternate. Over 200,000 cars per day drive by the site, which is both a corporate headquarters and retail location for Mattress Firm. The property is 54,615 square feet and sits on 5.05 acres.

E3bIGb7.jpg

This was originally posted  August 29, 2019 in the previous thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The former Mattress Firm SuperCenter at 5815 Gulf Fwy in the Idylwood neighborhood was sold June 2016.

This is part of the Lawndale / Wayside area of Houston, near or part of the Greater East End area.

Screenshot from the Broker List

https://thebrokerlist.com/transactions/sold-mattress-firm-corporate-headquarters-358

uT9maai.jpg

Update on the property of 5815 Gulf Fwy in the Idylwood neighborhood. This is part of the Lawndale / Wayside area of Houston, near or part of the Greater East End area.

From Virtual Builder's Exchange, taken from minutes from the Houston Planning Commission meeting this week:

The Houston Planning Commission on Aug. 22 granted a variance to a planned mixed-use project located southwest of downtown.

The project at 5815 Gulf Freeway, west of South Wayside Drive, is called Hass Center in documents on file with the city. But it carries the moniker South Gulf Plaza in a conceptual rendering.

The project would involve construction of a two-story, 24,797-square-foot retail/office building and a one-story, 16,048-square-foot retail building.

According to a plat map on file with the city, the smaller retail building would include 6,000 square feet of restaurant space.

Plans call for more than 239 total surface parking spaces and landscaped medians in between the two buildings.

Houston-based MattressFirmhad been operating its corporate headquarters and a retail supercenter in a 54,615-square-foot building that would have to be razed from the property.

A variance request dated Aug. 1, 2019, describes Houston company Doan and Associates LLC as “the developer of the subject site.” Doan and Associates, which provided the aforementioned conceptual rendering, has handled designing, planning and consulting on a range of commercial and residential developments.

Houston company Century Engineering is providing engineering services for the project.

It was in 2016 that Sugar Land-based Hass Holdings LLC acquired the property, which is currently valued at $4 million, according to Harris County Appraisal District records.

Hass Holdings directed by Amir Hassan, who is connected to a handful of trucking and logistics businesses.

The variance request was to ensure that three neighboring residential roads – Dwinnell, Harriet and Dorbrant streets – do not extend past the western boundary of the project site property.

City codes does typically permit the consideration of extending any public street that presently stops at a plat boundary without a cul-de-sac.

In a memo to the Planning Commission, city planning staff said, “The property owner intends plat all of the property he owns, to create an unrestricted reserve, the property will be developed as commercial, therefore allowing these streets to be extended east and/or end in a cul-de-sac would create an undue hardship by depriving the applicant of the reasonable use of the land.”

City staff supported granting the variance, explaining in the memo that strict application of the code allowing extension of such streets would “make this project infeasible due to the existence of unusual physical characteristics that affect the property in question, or would create an impractical development or one otherwise contrary to sound public policy.”

City staff also agreed that the streets surrounding the property – South Wayside, Sunnyland and Eskeridge streets – can adequately serve the projected traffic flow that will be produced by the new development.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-office-retail-project-in-works-for-i-45-wayside-property/

Map and plat for 5815 Gulf Fwy in the Idylwood neighborhood.

This is part of the Lawndale / Wayside area of Houston, near or part of the Greater East End area.

This is being redeveloped and will be named either Hass Center or South Gulf Plaza.

From Virtual Builders Exchange, taken from documents submitted to the city of Houston Planning Commission.

Q11RIi3.jpg

jmbctDK.jpg

Rendering of the proposed development at 5815 Gulf Fwy in the Idylwood neighborhood.

This is being proposed for redevelopment. The name for the development it either Hass Center or South Gulf Plaza.

From Virtual Builders Exchange, taken from documents submitted to the city of Houston Planning Commission.

JMvHOlX.jpg

This was in the previous thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crock, August 29, 2019 in the thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood.

this area is brutal.  basically all concrete and car exhaust, no shade whatsoever.   everytime I have to run to that walmart i feel like i'm in the most inhumane part of late capitalism.   really surprised someone would spend the money on this to re-develop, and not, say, the dinner bell cafeteria.  

This was in the previous thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Texasota, August 29, 2019 in the thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood.

I wish the site plan addressed Harriet and Dwinell

Originally posted by Triton, August 29, 2019 in the thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood.

Not sure why everyone is so critical of this area.... Quite a lot of UofH students come to this area for knick knacks and I'm sure are driving the local economy here. I can see this development being really successful, especially if they have a coffee shop here. Coral Sword is usually packed full of UofH students right now so any relief in another coffee shop would be welcome for sure.

Originally posted by mkultra25, August 29, 2019 in the thread for Hass Center | 5815 Gulf Freeway | Idylwood.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, crock said:

this area is brutal.  basically all concrete and car exhaust, no shade whatsoever.   everytime I have to run to that walmart i feel like i'm in the most inhumane part of late capitalism.   really surprised someone would spend the money on this to re-develop, and not, say, the dinner bell cafeteria.  

I would hope that folks take to the streets with pitchforks and torches when and if the idea of redeveloping the Dinner Bell ever gains any traction. 

• The title was changed to Hass Center 5815 Gulf Freeway
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

On 1/4/2021 at 1:44 PM, ljchou said:

Updated brochure for South Gulf Plaza. This is a new retail center at 5815 Gulf Freeway.

More about South Gulf Plaza from the listing:

• South Gulf Plaza is a retail/office redevelopment located on the Gulf Freeway (I-45), inside the 610-Loop . The project will be home to two (2) retail/office buildings that will front the Gulf Freeway. Building A, measuring approximately ±26,424 SF with plans for 1st floor retail with an office component on the 2nd level. Building B, measuring approximately ±29,754 SF is planned to be retail with a ±13,746 SF warehouse space with 2 dock high loading ramps. This once single-tenant site is being redeveloped and will be transformed into a vibrant and welcoming retail/office center. 

https://www.colliers.com/en/properties/for-lease-retailoffice-redevelopment-at-south-gulf-plaza/usa-5815-gulf-freeway-houston-tx-77023/usa1072950

https://colliershouston.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/property/5815GulfFwyFlyer(1072950).pdf

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/154754/texas-south-gulf-plaza

https://api-lease.crexi.com/assets/154754/flyer

8gCSEOA.jpg

6ogsX11.jpg

• The title was changed to Hass Center At 5815 Gulf Fwy.
  • 8 months later...