Frost Town Brewing At 100 N. Jackson St.

CrockpotandGravel

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, hindesky said:

Talked with a worker, asked what they were building and he said "Bar". Lots of the times they don't really know what they're building.

aVona3b.jpg

Someone said it was going to be a brewery at one point.  Either way, across the street from the "sobering center", I anticipate there will be some social media photo ops with the sign. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Frost Town Brewing At 100 N. Jackson St.
Frost Town Brewing underway in downtown Houston
pulsinelli-olivia1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Olivia Pulsinelli  –  Assistant managing editor, Houston Business Journal 
Apr 1, 2021, 6:52pm EDT
A new craft brewery is in the works in the northeast corner of downtown Houston.

Frost Town Brewing, at 100 N. Jackson, will have a 9,100-square-foot taproom with indoor seating, a 10,000-square-foot outdoor beer garden with rotating food trucks and a second-story mezzanine available for private parties, according to Central Houston Inc. The mezzanine space will be around 2,250 square feet, according to a filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. 

"Our downtown location in the historic Frost Town neighborhood places us just down the street from the first breweries in the city," the brewery's website states. "(Frost Town Brewing's) locally inspired brews are a celebration of Houstonians, past and present. They're drinkable craft lagers and ales meant to be shared with friends in our communal space. We hope to welcome y'all soon!"

On its social media accounts, the brewery states that the area called Frost Town was established in 1837 and was home to some of the first commercial breweries in the city.

"Nowadays, this area of downtown has been largely paved over with highways," the social media post states. "There’s a living history of Frost Town underneath the surface, and we were fortunate to uncover some with the help of the Houston Archeological Society. We discovered brick rainwater cisterns, ceramic and glass artifacts, and old foundations for the former occupants of the lot."

John Sorensen is one of the brewery's owners, according to the TDLR filing and confirmed by the company.

Fehr Grossman Architects in Houston is the design firm listed on the TDLR filing. Houston-based Mission Constructors Inc. signs are posted at the construction site, according to photos on the HAIF architectural forum, which show demolition work on the site was completed last summer. The site formerly housed American Engine & Grinding Co., according to photos posted on the now-defunct Swamplot blog and HAIF. A brewery has been planned for the site since at least 2018, per Swamplot. 

The TDLR filing lists the project's start date as July 1, 2020, and its end date as Oct. 31, 2021. The cost of the project is nearly $2.58 million, according to the TDLR filing. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, zaphod said:

Frost Town is a cool sounding name....

I'm glad that side of downtown is getting more interest.

I know they want to have a brewery, but they missed out the chance to have "Frost Town Ice House"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

frostie.jpg

I remember it well. A treat when I was young was a trip to Dugan Drug store, one of the last in town to have a "soda fountain" for a root beer float. IIRC, the Dugan Drug in my neighborhood became a Rexall, then an Eckerd's, then CVS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Specwriter said:

I remember it well. A treat when I was young was a trip to Dugan Drug store, one of the last in town to have a "soda fountain" for a root beer float. IIRC, the Dugan Drug in my neighborhood became a Rexall, then an Eckerd's, then CVS.

The Dugan's at 249 and 45, I assume. I have fond memories of that lunch counter and soda fountain as well, although I was still very young when they got rid of it. Hard to imagine that such a thing once existed, and was even commonplace in many drugstores, in the current era of cookie-cutter CVS beige boxes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

The Dugan's at 249 and 45, I assume. I have fond memories of that lunch counter and soda fountain as well, although I was still very young when they got rid of it. Hard to imagine that such a thing once existed, and was even commonplace in many drugstores, in the current era of cookie-cutter CVS beige boxes. 

mkultra, your are correct but it was Farm-to-Market Road 149 instead of State Highway 249 in those days. 🙂

I don't want to reveal too much of my identity but my grandfather also had a drug store with a full lunch counter/soda fountain. I spent a fair amount of time there as well but Papa passed away when I was very young. The equipment and fixtures were sold and the building was rented for other purposes.

A few other drug stores with lunch counters that lasted into my adulthood were Huston's on Washington Ave., Park Place Pharmacy on Park Place Blvd., Yale Pharmacy on Yale, and the Post Oak Pharmacy across the street from Four Leaf Towers in uptown. That was the last one to go I believe.

I guess I'm just nostalgic but I really enjoy eating at drug store lunch counters. My last visit to a drug store lunch counter was the City Drug Store in Jacksboro, Texas about 20 years ago. I guess I'll go to the Frost Town Brewing Co. at first opportunity, grab a cold one, and reminisce.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, Specwriter said:

mkultra, your are correct but it was Farm-to-Market Road 149 instead of State Highway 249 in those days. 🙂

I don't want to reveal too much of my identity but my grandfather also had a drug store with a full lunch counter/soda fountain. I spent a fair amount of time there as well but Papa passed away when I was very young. The equipment and fixtures were sold and the building was rented for other purposes.

A few other drug stores with lunch counters that lasted into my adulthood were Huston's on Washington Ave., Park Place Pharmacy on Park Place Blvd., Yale Pharmacy on Yale, and the Post Oak Pharmacy across the street from Four Leaf Towers in uptown. That was the last one to go I believe.

I guess I'm just nostalgic but I really enjoy eating at drug store lunch counters. My last visit to a drug store lunch counter was the City Drug Store in Jacksboro, Texas about 20 years ago. I guess I'll go to the Frost Town Brewing Co. at first opportunity, grab a cold one, and reminisce.

Ha! I realized some time after I posted that I should have said FM149 but I was too lazy to go back and edit my post.

At least the lunch counter at Yale Pharmacy is still open, even if it has outlived the actual pharmacy portion of the business. I would also add Avalon Drug Store's original location at Kirby and Westheimer to your list. The diner was sold in 1993 and both it and the drugstore moved down the street to the current location before the drugstore portion closed in 2008. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I would also add Avalon Drug Store's original location at Kirby and Westheimer to your list. The diner was sold in 1993 and both it and the drugstore moved down the street to the current location before the drugstore portion closed in 2008. 

How could I have forgotten Avalon Drug. I had lunch there a few times when I worked in the Greenway Plaza area.

• Like 1

Metal beams have gone up. On the south side of the there is commercial truck parking and almost every time I come by there is 1 or 2 eighteen wheelers parking here. I wonder if they will be able to get the city to eliminate the commercial parking? I'm sure they would love for this to be for their customers instead.

KueoaTA.jpg

9A5YPMD.jpg

DLLzKpN.jpg

zoWxVkM.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, BeerNut said:

This seems like a huge buildout in a prominent location for a brewery's first foray.  

Then it is our duty as citizens of this great metropolis to make sure it is a success - if the product is good. 😄

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...