Frost Town Brewing At 100 N. Jackson St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created November 22, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming.

The downtown Houston warehouse for American Engine & Grinding at 100 N Jackson St is on the market.

I don't know if this will become another warehouse or developed into something else. I saw the listing on Loopnet and decided to post it here Loopnet's new website design no longer includes a link to property records (at lease for non-subscribers). The new site design also no longer contains pictures of the listing after it's off the market, so I posted it here while it's still visible.

From Loopnet (link 1 and link 2)  (archive link 1 and archive link 2):

- The warehouse was built in 1925.
- Total Building:  8,075  SF

- Total SF Land: 20,027 SF

Q3iMuru.jpg

RqCsTE7.jpg

RVR78EG.jpg

This was in the previous thread for 100 N Jackson St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Nate99, November 22, 2017 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

I suppose it would be in poor taste to put in a bar there, given the "SOBERING CENTER" proximity/signage.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for 100 N Jackson St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, November 25, 2017 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:00 PM, Nate99 said:

I suppose it would be in poor taste to put in a bar there, given the "SOBERING CENTER" proximity/signage.

It's Houston, so you never know.

Originally posted by H-Town Man, November 27, 2017 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

It's a beaut. The pre-engineered metal façade at least needs to be saved, whatever else happens.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 23, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

This is off the market. What's going to happen here? Will this be demoed or rehabbed?

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 24, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:19 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This is off the market. What's going to happen here? Will this be demoed or rehabbed?

The warehouse at 100 N Jackson St in downtown Houston will be turned into a brewery.

Originally posted by downtownian, July 24, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The warehouse at 100 N Jackson St in downtown Houston will be turned into a brewery.

Serious or not?

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 24, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:12 PM, downtownian said:

Serious or not?

I have no earthly idea but maybe serious? I did a search and came up with a recent sales permit for Industry Brewery at 100 N Jackson St in Houston.

Logo with downtown Houston skyline
nJ6wUOH.jpg

It's a brewery that has been in the planning stages for years.

At the Houston meeting, I met folks from some breweries that are about to open, like Under the Radar Brewery and Town in City Brewing Company , and Industry Brewing, which is in the planning stages.  The Houston brewing scene is definitely on the rise! 

http://www.texascraftbeerlaw.com/2015/06/texas-brewers-nights/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/breweries-in-planning-around-texas.199175/page-5#post-4963914

Originally posted by Nate99, July 25, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Even better. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 30, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

A replat was submitted to the city for Industry Brewery earlier this month.

6HPSpgS.jpg

n7sLBfz.jpg
(direct link to zoom in for closer view)

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, August 12, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

From Swamplot on 100 N Jackson St in Houston:

A new brewery is now in the works for the industrial building that sits across the Downtown 59 on-ramp from the Houston Center for Sobriety. Just like the adjacent drunk tank which opened in 2013, the new business at 100 N. Jackson will be housed in a repurposed warehouse. Its lawn includes several signs pointing drivers to the neighboring sobering center — like the one shown above fronting the exit ramp off the Eastex, on the west side of the soon-to-be beer venue dubbed Industry Brewery.

http://swamplot.com/new-industry-brewery-on-tap-across-from-the-houston-center-for-sobriety/2018-08-03/

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, August 29, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

Website for Industry Brewery updated. Opening in Housotn at 100 N Jackson.

https://www.industrybrewery.com/

Originally posted by Luminare, August 29, 2018 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

This is so beautiful haha. The definition of Houston. Have a Sobering Clinic on oneside? Build a Brewery on the otherside. Problem solved.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, March 2, 2019 in the thread for 100 N Jackson St.

There's more on Industry Brewery on the updated website but no renderings.

https://www.industrybrewery.com/story

• The title was changed to 100 N Jackson St
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really wish we could get rid of the word "eyesore". It's completely meaningless and has been used far too often to describe buildings that are worth saving.

Was this little warehouse worth saving? No, of course not. But that word still rubs me the wrong way, and I'm holding off on judgement of how positive its removal is until I see what replaces it. Nothing is worse than a vacant lot. Nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I really wish we could get rid of the word "eyesore". It's completely meaningless and has been used far too often to describe buildings that are worth saving.

Was this little warehouse worth saving? No, of course not. But that word still rubs me the wrong way, and I'm holding off on judgement of how positive its removal is until I see what replaces it. Nothing is worse than a vacant lot. Nothing.

A lot with a derelict building with a collapsing roof is far worse than a vacant lot. As is a lot with piles of rubble or 42 disintegrating old boats. Losing a metal building in poor condition on the North end of Downtown strikes me as a positive move, since it makes it simpler to build something later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

I totally agree. I mean what does eyesore mean? I really don't like that word, it's overuse, and the theory that if some people don't like looking at things it must be torn down.

I do agree that safety is another issue

Eyesore means poorly designed or aesthetically displeasing to the eye. Not saying this place had to sparkle like the Taj Majal but even places like this can carry an appeal that doesn’t take away from the surrounding area. We talk about it all the time on this forum how the city is fixing mistakes from poor development. Ugly stucco strip malls lining busy corridors instead of more aesthetically pleasing materials like brick. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3