Social Beer Garden HTX At 3101 San Jacinto St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created April 1, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming.

3101 San Jacinto Street in Midtown, Houston.

N1u1nuc.jpg

bbHS1Jd.jpg

zzPJrML.jpg

Street View from December 2018

2AACCkl.jpg

Gxi64TV.jpg

mTtxLCl.jpg

boEcXmH.jpg

3Zto8Mg.jpg

ydJ9Lok.jpg

This was originally posted April 1, 2019 in the previous thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From the More Coming to Midtown thread:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=570663

On 7/3/2018 at 10:34 AM, corbs315 said:

Couple things I noticed on the permitting website today:

Something called the "Social Beer Garden" at 3101 San Jacinto (appears to have been a series of failed clubs here before).

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&commentid=570940

On 7/10/2018 at 11:00 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Social Beer Garden at 3101 San Jacinto (Houston midtown) is bar from a guy who owns Shamrock Pub in Humble. I would be surprised if this place survives in Midtown. The Kirby Group and the group with Pub Fiction have a grip on the Midtown bar landscape.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=570945

On 7/11/2018 at 6:43 AM, BeerNut said:

Doesn't help that it's not close to any current establishments.   With the current success of all the open air bars and bier gardens how will they make this place more inviting and a destination?  

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=570947

On 7/11/2018 at 7:12 AM, Texasota said:

I mean, it's within two blocks of Weights & Measures and 13 Degrees Celsius. I think if they can veer more toward that demographic rather than the more stereotypical bro-y midtown scene they'll be fine. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=571016

On 7/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, Diaspora said:

Yup, the 3101 San Jacinto location has been, in the past, Club Empire and Club Myst, with dreadful results for nearby residents including a driveby in which 6 people were shot in May of 2015, when it was billed as Club Empire.  The nearby residents and businesses protested the TABC license in 2016 and the place shut down soon after.  

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=583857

On 1/13/2019 at 8:24 PM, BeerNut said:

fXcbVfe.jpg

FEvlvml.jpg

2S5Dlxs.jpg

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=583857

On 1/13/2019 at 8:24 PM, BeerNut said:

Guess the land owners had some legal issues is why this is taking forever

LFMC Enterprises, LLC, Li Y. Feng and Mimi Chan v. Gary Baker Appeal from 80th District Court of Harris County (opinion)

https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/first-court-of-appeals/2018/01-17-00558-cv.html

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=587024

On 3/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, BeerNut said:

7JevyAf.jpg

This was originally posted April 1, 2019 in the previous thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Facebook page for Social Beer Garden at 3101 San Jacinto. The page includes the mural painted on the building. Fox 26 News filmed a segment on it.

https://www.facebook.com/SocialBeerGardenHTX/

This was in the previous thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by BeerNut, April 17, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

There is additional video of backyard showcasing the lighting and other features.

Completed mural picture from their Facebook.

4N2WdoJ.jpg

This was in the previous thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 7, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

Photos of construction and the completion of Social Beer Garden at 3101 San Jacinto in Houston's Midtown.

EJo4d1K.jpg

Video from Instagram: 
https://instagram.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/3d231d841f0faefe9cd900087a74c26a/5CD41943/t50.2886-16/57586838_257956685132382_1359604071148814336_n.mp4?_nc_ht=instagram.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net

Screenshots from a video on Instagram:

uCStDrq.jpg

V7le3ub.jpg

2a9Ttrd.jpg

kKcnvCM.jpg

Rjuyi44.jpg

QMfWo5D.jpg

of4BNpK.jpg

FDfd32c.jpg

d4zdbT9.jpg

evAKCB3.jpg

MMMhvmy.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 7, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

Photos of construction and the completion of Social Beer Garden at 3101 San Jacinto in Houston Midtown.

From Facebook:

n4o8LP8.jpg

ApJQE7G.jpg

oyBhLg7.jpg

q6NeycU.jpg

YDxwrNr.jpg

Jz2DbR9.jpg

TSu4SLQ.jpg

ZHMDv87.jpg

AMeXbon.jpg

cu16pF6.jpg

Originally posted by Luminare, May 7, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

Dude needs to go easy with all the "Dutch Angles"

Originally posted by mollusk, May 7, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

Today's vocabulary word is "vertiginous" 

Originally posted by mkultra25, May 8, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:23 PM, mollusk said:

Today's vocabulary word is "vertiginous" 

e6ae9b370ae92bd149850816bda50a26.gif

Originally posted by BeerNut, May 10, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

We are officially open Houston!!! Rain or shine, we have plenty of air conditioned in door space for you to lounge, relax and play some pool or table tennis! HD TV’s to watch any of the games that are showing with a full bar to quench your thirst! 
ZiVqs9e.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/SocialBeerGardenHTX/photos/a.2268389159849117/2314093705278662

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, May 10, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

That's the same building? 😮 Looks promising

Originally posted by thedistrict84, May 13, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

Surprised there haven’t been any “HTX” vs. “HOU” comments on this thread. 

Originally posted by BeerNut, May 13, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

Pics of Social Beer Garden HTX from their Facebook.

JzlKcNk.jpg

COoUA17.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 22, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

From Houstonia yesterday:

With vintage and contemporary arcade games, a view of the Downtown skyline, and a policy that permits kids and pets until 9 p.m. daily, Social Beer Garden HTX is primed to be the relaxed neighborhood haunt for many a Midtown resident.  The place had a soft-opening on May 7, but they’re planning on a grand opening June 7. However, we went and checked it out now, and we’re thinking it’s going to be great. 

Social Beer Garden HTX is comprised of a two-story building decorated in a style that is best described as “beer chic”. Inside, décor includes a tap wall with handles old and new, plus beer cans that date back to the 1950s. Games are upstairs (arcade, dartboards, billiard tables), as is a patio. But while the insides are cool, the real draw for this spot, located at 3101 San Jacinto St., is the beer garden featuring a center covered in turf from the Texans practice facility (purchased from a turf recycler) and dotted by Adirondack-style chairs, picnic tables, cushioned chairs, and hammocks to hang out in. Murals created by local artist Donkeeboy add that necessary pop of Houston color. There will be food trucks, too.

More here: https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/5/21/midtown-social-beer-garden-htx

l50OZ7T.jpg

• The title was changed to Social Beer Garden HTX | 3101 San Jacinto | Midtown

Originally posted by thedistrict84, May 25, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 5/22/2019 at 7:18 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

a view of the Downtown skyline 

Interesting that they mention this, but absolutely none of their photos on social media show a view of downtown. 

I guess it’s like those townhomes that advertise “views of downtown” but all you can see is like the top floor of the Chase Tower, and only if you use binoculars.

Originally posted by Chi-Char-Hou-Dal, July 22, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

@thedistrict84 thought of you the other night - this place is great! Went after work with two kids and everyone was very friendly, owner said they have been very busy since opening. Chill bar / DT view from the balcony attached! lol

(There was an attached photo, but all attachments were removed in the mass deletion of my content, including threads started by me).

Originally posted by thedistrict84, July 22, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

@thedistrict84 thought of you the other night - this place is great! Went after work with two kids and everyone was very friendly, owner said they have been very busy since opening. Chill bar / DT view from the balcony attached! lol

haha Nice shot, certainly can see more of downtown than I expected from that location/angle.

I’ll have to check it out soon.

Originally posted by Luminare, August 4, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Walked by this about a month ago and that was my feeling as well. It has the look of an Axelrad, but definitely a more local vibe.

Originally posted by corbs315, August 4, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

I hope it's doing well. I drive by it on the way home all the time and I never see people there. (tbf it's usually before 6pm)

Originally posted by Luminare, August 4, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, corbs315 said:

I hope it's doing well. I drive by it on the way home all the time and I never see people there. (tbf it's usually before 6pm)

Says it opens on 3pm during weekdays. That means its not really a daytime bar, so it being dead at 6pm wouldn't be unusual. I live near Poison Girl in Montrose, which is one of the main bars I go too, and its also dead at 6pm. Most bars around here don't get going until at least 9-10pm.

Originally posted by BeerNut, August 4, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:16 PM, Luminare said:

It has the look of an Axelrad, but definitely a more local vibe.

They definitely borrowed from the Axelrad aesthetic for their outdoor space...hammocks.  Initially Axelrad had a local vibe but it's just so popular now.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:16 AM, BeerNut said:

They definitely borrowed from the Axelrad aesthetic for their outdoor space...hammocks.  Initially Axelrad had a local vibe but it's just so popular now.

Being on Almeda and W Alabama, it was destined to be a big time bar. Even though its a big time bar its still really chill place. I actually went one Saturday evening and just sat in one of the hammocks and read a book. It does a great job with seating arrangement where you have options to social or if you just want to chill. Busy, but great vibe. Then you have this kind of place. Its location is just going to lend itself to be a more local vibe.

Originally posted by dbigtex56, August 4, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:12 PM, Luminare said:

Being on Almeda and W Alabama, it was destined to be a big time bar.

1517 Alabama (not 'W').

On 8/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, dbigtex56 said:

1517 Alabama (not 'W').

Yeah I always make that mistake haha.

Originally posted by dbigtex56, August 5, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, dbigtex56 said:

1517 Alabama (not 'W').

On 8/4/2019 at 6:57 PM, Luminare said:

Yeah I always make that mistake haha.

Understandably. For many years it seemed like Alabama (or E Alabama) didn't even exist.
Normally I wouldn't nitpick but now that there's development taking place along the length of the street the potential for confusion has risen.
(and don't get me started about the project called West Gray [something] that's proposed for Gray)

Originally posted by Luminare, August 5, 2019 in the thread for Social Beer Garden | 3101 San Jacinto.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:12 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Understandably. For many years it seemed like Alabama (or E Alabama) didn't even exist.
Normally I wouldn't nitpick but now that there's development taking place along the length of the street the potential for confusion has risen.
(and don't get me started about the project called West Gray [something] that's proposed for Gray)

Agreed and I thank you for the correction. It doesn't help that you can have the same exact address and the only difference is the "W" in front of Alabama. That shouldn't be a thing, yet it is.

From the More coming to Midtown thread:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=603536

On 10/17/2019 at 3:01 PM, dbigtex56 said:

On 7/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, Diaspora said:

Yup, the 3101 San Jacinto location has been, in the past, Club Empire and Club Myst, with dreadful results for nearby residents including a driveby in which 6 people were shot in May of 2015, when it was billed as Club Empire.  The nearby residents and businesses protested the TABC license in 2016 and the place shut down soon after.  

The Social Beer Garden (3101 San Jacinto) seems to be intent on keeping up that address's history of poor relations with its neighbors. 
Their music blares until well after 2 a.m. and they used portable generators (which apparently lack any sort of mufflers). Calls to the police go unanswered, even though it's obvious that the noise ordinances are being violated left and right. 
I hope they either start showing some consideration for their neighbors or go out of business.

13 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

They put about 2 thousands dollars and slapped on the name Social Beer "Garden." This place is sooooo ugly omg. I feel like my backyard is nicer than this plac.

yeah it's like they went to Axelrad and were like "This is great, let's copy this but we have a strict budget".   

Archived