Fairfield Sawyer Heights: Multifamily At 1520 Oliver St.

CrockpotandGravel

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1500 Oliver St  may be part of the Dock High District (I think) within the Sawyer Yards. The property sits next to Lovett's other development at 1201 Oliver St in the First Ward.

The property is included on the 
Sawyer Yards Masterplan below.

There is no listing of this property on Lovett Commercial's website yet, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future. Both 1201 Oliver and 1505 Oliver St were marked as retail development for a year or longer before Lovett published materials / announced plans for both. That could be true of this property.

Q7uURyw.jpg

• The title was changed to 1500 Oliver St.
  • 8 months later...

The Garage is also where Lovett's current office is for now till they get their new HQ's finished at the old Houston Post building. The lot across Oliver has a sign showing a rendering of what Lovett will convert with it to. It's not shown in this Google Street View though. Most of the stuff shown here is now gone.

zKOcbqy.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

I am pretty surprised about this. Lovett’s okd HQ is kind of a cool / interesting building. I wouldn’t have thought it a candidate for demo. An apartment here fully dependent on Oliver for traffic flow makes me think Oliver is going to need a massive upgrade.

that pedestrian path connecting sawyer to Oliver is extremely important IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Lovett Commercial is out and moved to their new offices in the converted The Post building in Eado. Talked with one of the truck drivers from the meat distributor that is on the end of the property. Asked him if they were moving out soon, he seemed surprised about that and didn't know anything. He did say they have another warehouse somewhere else though.

https://www.houston-meat.com

L1VgVtI.jpg

561xZd8.jpg

POT0sLD.jpg

h9GqEiZ.jpg

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Fairfield Sawyer Heights: Multifamily At 1520 Oliver St.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw a guy waiting in the parking lot, turns out he is overseeing this project for Fairfield and was waiting for a fence company to enclose the lot. He said this will be a 5 story wrap around a 7 story parking garage that will be cast-in-place. He is hopping to not use a tower crane due to the limitations of Oliver St. being very narrow.

Edit: Demo is supposed to start late November or early December.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 12:23 AM, hindesky said:

These are the two properties Fairfield bought for their future apartments on Oliver.

LYo7BPq.png

2XLLxBB.png

LO8d2hl.jpg

There's that mysterious "Dock High Pedestrian Path" again.  I get the concept from walking around other parts of Sawyer Yards and MKT, but there isn't a loading dock anywhere there, at least as drawn, or I am blind.  Does anyone know what it's supposed to be?

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

There's that mysterious "Dock High Pedestrian Path" again.  I get the concept from walking around other parts of Sawyer Yards and MKT, but there isn't a loading dock anywhere there, at least as drawn, or I am blind.  Does anyone know what it's supposed to be?

Typically, this is just an elevated/raised pedestrian walkway.  The term "dock high" is likely referring to the actual height the walkway will be, which would be around 4'.  These help corral and distribute the pedestrian traffic.  In this instance I could be completely wrong, though.

For reference...

cFKaAWx.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

Typically, this is just an elevated/raised pedestrian walkway.  The term "dock high" is likely referring to the actual height the walkway will be, which would be around 4'.  These help corral and distribute the pedestrian traffic.  In this instance I could be completely wrong, though.

For reference...

cFKaAWx.jpg

Thanks--maybe that drawing is not to be taken literally--seems odd they'd put a semi-elevated walkway in the middle of a parking lot, across a street, through the middle of another parking lot, and through a building.  But maybe it will end up being some sort an industrial-esque architectural attraction in and of itself! 

Edited by mattyt36

On 2/28/2022 at 12:23 AM, hindesky said:

LO8d2hl.jpg

Makes perfect sense to me. This area used to be industrial, those had no reason to have any sort of connections to the surrounding streets. But now that there's so many restaurants, bars, and residential, this disconnected area forces people to walk quite a distance even if the bar is just a building away. We saw the powerful affect of connection once the multi-family at Lower Heights was connected to Target. Sure, more car traffic but you see people walking to Target all the time now (or just walking their dogs).

• 2 weeks later...