Handies Douzo Restaurant At 3510 White Oak Dr.

tanith27

Just drove down White Oak and saw out of the corner of my eye, a bungalow that appeared to be in the middle of a renovation with a big sign out front advertising a dessert place. I just caught a glance of it, but it was something "fatz" I think. It was right around White Oak and Cortlandt. Yummy!

The sign says "Yummy Fatz Desserts"

The Heights really needs a good place to go get desert. I would love a nice little place you could get a good chocolate cake, and a glass of wine, without having to sit down for a $100 dinner or deal with a rude waiter who is upset b/c you just want desert and a glass of wine. Really there are not enough places like that out there at all.

I go out at least once on the weekends for dessert and coffee with friends. I like Antidote's coffee, but their dessert selection isn't always consistent. Usually end up at Epicure on West Gray, Dessert Gallery, or Chocolate Bar. I can't wait to see what the new place has to offer.

I go out at least once on the weekends for dessert and coffee with friends. I like Antidote's coffee, but their dessert selection isn't always consistent. Usually end up at Epicure on West Gray, Dessert Gallery, or Chocolate Bar. I can't wait to see what the new place has to offer.

All those places deserts look fantastic, but it does not look like any of them sell wine. A requirement for a nice piece of chocolate cake for me, is a nice smooth cab. I love my wine with my desert. Know of any good ones that sell wine as well?

I took a photo earlier that I can post tonight, but it's the house just to the west of the old filling station, and just to the east of the alley. It's 3510 White Oak. The house looks like it's in the middle of renovations, so the business won't be open in the next few days or anything. And it's in the dry zone, so probably won't be serving wine. (Could be BYOB, though, which some like better.)

<br />All those places deserts look fantastic, but it does not look like any of them sell wine.  A requirement for a nice piece of chocolate cake for me, is a nice smooth cab.  I love my wine with my desert.  Know of any good ones that sell wine as well?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Epicure on West Gray sells wine. It's a couple doors down from the River Oaks Theatre. Also has dinner entrees in addition to its desserts.

• 10 years later...

This thread was originally created August 26, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

3510 White Oak Drive in the Heights, Houston.

KQvhFSS.jpg

lendea9.jpg

6sRNA6r.jpg

Aerial View
bs7KuZ5.jpg

Street View:

This was originally posted August 26, 2019 in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The last operating business in the bungalow at 3510 White Oak Dr in the Heights was Happy Fatz.

Discussions on Happy Fatz from other threads on HAIF, most from the Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/17884-huge-construction-project-underway-near-washington-ave-yale/?tab=comments#comment-339636

On 9/2/2009 at 8:23 PM, poonks said:

It's not on 11th, but have you seen the construction for "Happy Fatz". It appears to be a dessert shop opening on White Oak and Columbia (I think it was columbia, maybe cortland).

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22969-any-great-place-to-enjoy-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=358165

On 2/28/2010 at 6:12 PM, heights_yankee said:

the heights does have a nice selection of sweets: , and rumored Happy Fatz to open on White Oak.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24547-white-oak-development/?do=findComment&comment=381460

On 3/4/2011 at 1:15 PM, sonic0boom said:

Also in other news, I noticed some activity last night at Little Fats, the dessert place near the bead shop on White Oak. The place looked all ready to go about a year ago and then .... nothing. Driving by, i noticed some people inside and there were chairs stacked up on tables. So, it looks like they may actually be opening at long last.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24547-white-oak-development/?do=findComment&comment=381584

On 3/7/2011 at 8:49 AM, sonic0boom said:

Correction, it is called Happy Fatz .... I did a search and see that they had a pre-opening inspection in January, but that's about all i can find. I guess we will find out soon enough.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=386347

On 5/31/2011 at 7:04 AM, tanith27 said:

BB's Cajun opened up this past weekend on White Oak as did Happy Fatz just down the street.

This was originally posted August 26, 2019 in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The last operating business in the bungalow at 3510 White Oak Dr in the Heights was Happy Fatz. 

Happy Fatz closed November 2017.

Discussion on Happy Fatz from the Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=560671

On 11/2/2017 at 8:04 AM, s3mh said:

Happy Fatz is closing.  The owners are going to open a restaurant in Canyon Lake.  

Also from Swamplot on the same day:

SPECIALTY HOT dog shop and bakery Happy Fatz closed its bungalow doors for good yesterday at 3510 White Oak Dr. — after 6 and a half years in the Heights. “The uphill battle with the ‘neighboring’ house for the last 2 years became a greater challenge than expected,” reads a brief announcement posted yesterday to the restaurant’s Facebook page. A new 2-story, 4,400-sq.-ft. home was constructed last year on an adjacent property — a portion of which formerly served as a patio and parking lot for the restaurant. It’s currently listed for sale.

Happy Fatz’s owners write that they’ll continue to open pop-up shops in the Houston area. But they say they’ll be turning their attention to the Hill Country, opening a restaurant called Wildflour Artisan Bakery & Grill in Canyon Lake.

http://swamplot.com/unhappy-with-neighbor-happy-fatz-shuts-down-its-white-oak-hot-dog-and-bakery-operation/2017-11-02/

wDidRsy.jpg

An update on the bungalow at 3510 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

This was the site of Happy Fatz; it closed in November 2017.

A sushi restaurant is opening here as posted in the Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread earlier this month:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=598285

On 8/8/2019 at 10:27 AM, s3mh said:

Sushi restaurant coming to the old Happy Fatz bungalow on 3510 White Oak.  

More on the sushi restaurant moving into the bungalow  at 3510 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

The sushi restaurant opening at 3510 White Oak Dr is Handies Douzo.

https://www.handiesdouzo.com

https://www.instagram.com/handiesdouzo

Two weeks ago, Handies Douzo filed a SEC filing. They're probably readying to launch a campaign to find investors to fund the restaurant, likely through Nextseed. 3510 White Oak Dr is the listed business address.

https://sec.report/CIK/0001785244

3510 White Oak Dr was home to Happy Fatz.

This was originally posted August 27, 2019 in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

As speculated, Handies Douzo partnered with NextSeed to launch a crowdsourcing investment campaign.

A copy of their Nextseed campaign is included in their SEC filing documents.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1785244/000178524419000001/0001785244-19-000001-index.htm

The screenshots of their Nextseed campaign included in the documents are low resolution, so the text is very blurry.

The Nextseed campaign isn't live and there is no url address for their campaign yet.

lsowe4Z.jpg

Ys9YD8j.jpg

This was originally posted August 27, 2019 in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

More on the sushi restaurant opening at 3510 White Oak Dr is Handies Douzo.

On the Nextseed investor campaign page included in the above SEC documents, there are details about plans for the former Happy Fatz bungalow at 3510 White Oak Dr. The house is historical and has guidelines to follow as renovations take place. Here are a few details from the package, that includes not revealing the location of the restaurant until an opening event:

Company Description

From the team behind the wildly popular and buzzed about "Secret Taste" dinners in Houston comes a new hand roll restaurant that aims to set the standard in Houston for this trendy raw cuisine. Chefs Patrick Pham and Daniel Lee have over 20 years of experience and fresh off the success of their latest concept, Kokoro, in the recently opened Bravery Chef Hall in downtown Houston. The pair boasts an impressive foodie following and are perfectly positioned to put their talents to work in a carefully curated dining experience (located in a unique venue situated in a prime location in the Heights).

Business Model

...Handies Douzo will open in a prime location, having secured a lease below market value for the trendy Heights neighborhood of Houston. 

Business Operations & Cost-Saving Methodology

...Securing a lease on a unique property that was previously utilized as a restaurant will save significant costs on the buildout. While seating will be limited (due to the intimate space and configuration), the space is designed to encourage an efficient turnover between guests.

The Atmosphere

Handies Douzo will be located in a charming but modern location in the Heights neighborhood of Houston. The interior decor will be sleek and sophisticated with black and highlighted accents, creating a unique aesthetic in what is otherwise a more traditional space.

Location Analysis

In keeping with the "secret" theme that has provided the team's previous pop-up events so much publicity, intrigue, and hype, the exact location of Handies Douzo will not be officially revealed until the opening event.

And from the transcript of their Nextseed campaign video included in the SEC documents:

...The  structure is about a hundred years old, we've totally gutted it right in the heart  of the Heights. We've got what we think is going to be a really cozy, friendly environment that's going to give you a great experience eating right from these  chef's hands, watching them make the food right in front of you. 

This was originally posted August 30, 2019 in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The NextSeed campaign for Handies Douzo.went live yesterday.

This is the sushi restaurant moving into the former Happy Fatz bungalow at 3510 White Oak Dr in the Heights. 

The group involved with this recently opened Kokoro at Bravery Chef Hall in downtown Houston.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/handies-douzo

Here is their campaign video:

https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/681/14/353408275/1435921642.mp4?token=1567178209-0x210d1b93ca1d5e9a3dc24101f614cc2cbb0fa569

https://player.vimeo.com/video/353408275

Originally posted September 12, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

Has there been any noticeable changes to the bungalow at 3510 White Oak Dr? This was the former Happy Fatz restaurant. Handies Douzo restaurant is opening here.

Someone affiliated with this made an interesting comment a week or two ago. They said Handies Douzo is weeks away from opening. That seems quick.So, I don't know if it holds water.  

This was in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | |The Heights before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

Originally posted by s3mh, September 12, 2019 in the thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | |The Heights.

They just recently got their COA.  They are working on it.  Windows are papered over, so you can't see what is going on inside.  If they can keep the plumbing, electrical, etc. that Happy Fatz left behind, it could be a pretty quick turnaround.  

This was in the previous thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | |The Heights before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 13, 2019 in the thread for 3510 White Oak Dr | |The Heights.

Thanks, @s3mh. When you put in that perspective, the short turnaround time does makes sense.  Unlike most of the startups on Nextseed that took a while to open, this business isn't building from the ground up, doing an extensive build-out or renovation requiring a long wait for an opening. Any cosmetic interior work would probably be minimal, allowing for lower construction costs, upstart costs, and a shorter opening timeline.

• The title was changed to 3510 White Oak Dr.
  • The title was changed to Handies Douzo Restaurant At 3510 White Oak Dr.

Archived