Black Labrador At 4100 Montrose Blvd.

gene

https://houston.eater.com/2019/11/8/20955001/the-black-labrador-montrose-bar-closing-december-2019

Man I loved this place for years...and it was my favorite place to eat during winter months with it's cozy atmosphere...and loved the huge chess set out front as well! 

BL you will be missed!

Longtime Montrose haunt the Black Labrador will close its doors next month after 33 years of slinging beers.

The bar at 4100 Montrose Boulevard announced that it will call it quits in mid-December, but did not cite a specific reason for the closure. Its departure has been impending, though, thanks to real estate issues — earlier this year, the building at 4100 Montrose was sold to a developer, which would have ultimately necessitated a move. Before that news broke, superstar chef Aaron Bludorn was looking to open a restaurant in the space, but that deal ultimately fell through earlier this fall.

“A Montrose community hub for 33 years, the Black Lab wishes to thank its loyal customers, its hard working staff, and most of all Armando Vazquez, General Manager, for his dedication and service,” the bar said in a statement released on Friday. The statement also encouraged patrons who purchased refillable monogrammed mugs to stop by and have one last beer at the Lab.

The Black Labrador will close for good on December 15, which means that there’s still plenty of time to swing by and say farewell.

Hopefully, the whole article is as accurate as the bit about the "building at 4100 Montrose" having been sold to a developer earlier this year.  Very odd thing to write, especially when it's linked to a story about the development of the Montrose Collective (which has some connection to the separately-owned Freed-Montrose Library Building, but neither building was sold to a developer earlier this year).

5 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Man if this was sold to a developer they better not change much. This is one of the most aesthetically pleasing buildings in the city. 

I don't think there is any reason to think it was sold to a developer.  It appears to still be owned by the University of St Thomas. The writer of that Eater piece must be preparing their portfolio for an application for a job at the Chronicle. 

Lots of great memories here.  Black & Tans with my grandfather.  Gathering around the fire in the winter.  Eating bowls and bowls of their mussels...best in the city IMO. 

Sad now.  Jesus, I hope that they feel for the building isn't altered by much, for whatever happens next. 

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh.  

I get that the Brothers who administer St. Thomas are different than the nuns who administer Incarnate Word Academy downtown.  But... makes me uneasy after the atrocities committed elsewhere in the city, by the Catholic Church (specifically referring to atrocious Architectural destruction and not the first type of atrocities that people think of when discussing the Catholic Church).   

I went last night.  They are already out of several beers and food options.  They seemed to have a very reduced staff.  The waitress told me they found out they were closing on facebook and that the building is being tore down and replaced with a parking garage.  

1 hour ago, ttuchris said:

I went last night.  They are already out of several beers and food options.  They seemed to have a very reduced staff.  The waitress told me they found out they were closing on facebook and that the building is being tore down and replaced with a parking garage.  

Just horrible.  Now we pray for GFR?

1 hour ago, ttuchris said:

O

M

G

😶

2 hours ago, ttuchris said:

Let's not get too carried away. While that would indeed be awful, it seems rather unlikely that a waitress would be privy to this information before practically anyone else in town.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, Houston19514 said:

Let's not get too carried away. While that would indeed be awful, it seems rather unlikely that a waitress would be privy to this information before practically anyone else in town.

No way! Is this true??? I find this hard to believe. I think they'll remodel the site a bit but a complete tear down???

On 11/22/2019 at 2:22 PM, bobruss said:

Why. This is Houston.

Tear it down first and then ask questions.

On 11/22/2019 at 3:11 PM, Texasota said:

Did... did something bad happen to you this week? I don't think of your posts as generally being quite this negative

Considering that his post was made about the same time that demolition of the James West mansion was announced, some cynicism is to be expected. 
You're not alone in feeling this way, @bobruss

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Black Labrador At 4100 Montrose Blvd.

Archived