The Old "playland Park"

I remember going to Playland Park in Houston in the 1950s

as a kid,fond memories!. My step-dad operated the motor boats,my brother

and I would operate all of the lock levers to let boats out

and in,that wouldn't have happened these days!.

Please share your memories.

We lived on the old Chocolate Bayou Road,and now

I've heard it is "Cullen Blvd." We were close to Pearland,8 miles

south of Holmes Rd.,near the Brazoria/Harris county line.

What is out there now??. I remember there were cemeteries

around us and not much else!.

Thanks,

Ron Hoover

Denver Co.

Edited by hartwell

Thanks,

Ron Hoover

Denver Co.

Old Chocolate Bayou has been straightened up to align with Cullen. 518 used to dead end at Cullen. Now, it's a major shopping area. You would not believe it.

South of 518 - off Cullen (Old Chocolate Bayou) there is the Silverlake community. http://www.silverlaketexas.com

Down further from 518 and Cullen (about four - five miles) is a new major freeway - SH 288 - that goes up to the Astrodome area and the medical center. All the way from Cullen to the freeway is dotted with commecial shopping areas - Super Walmart, Home Depot, Randalls, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Check out the City of Pearland web page

http://www.cityofpearland.com/

I went to Peppermint Park in the old Gulfgate area in the 1960s.....I was also on Kitterick (old 60's TV show) for my 5th birthday...I remember when there were cattle drives down the Manvel Highway (FM 1128 - 2 - 3 miles east of Old Chocolate Bayou) - the cattle would really tear up our lawn.

• 1 year later...
PlaylandAd.jpg

I believe this address places it about where South Main and Murworth now intersect.

I used to confuse Playland Park with Peppermint Park. I vaguely remember one where you could see the "rock" of the Prudential building. Maybe it was Playland, because I distinctly remember Peppermint being next to Gulfgate.

• 1 year later...

I can remember going to Playland Park back in 1958 with our CYO group. Riding the Tilt-a-World and eating lots of junk food. A boy that I really liked wanted me to ride the roller coaster with him and he wanted us to sit in the front car....and I told him that I didn't want to ride in the first car because it scared me....well he got mad and sat there anyway and I climbed into the second car while the rest of our group filled the back cars. Going down the fifth hill all the junk food in my stomach started churning and I up-chucked all over the "love of my 13 year old life" and then I just sunk down on the seat in embarassment...not knowing that the rest of my friends were getting pelted with flying vomit as the coaster was speeding around the tracks. Needless to say I was not too popular after we got off the roller coaster as I was the only one who didn't get a speck of puke on me. Think that was the last time I went with our CYO group anywhere. It was hard enough having to go to church on Sundays with them. I lived off of OST on Tierwester St. and went to the old St. Agnes Academy on Fannin St. Does anyone out there remember riding the ride that they called the Bullet....I think I told my cousin who rode it with me all the sins I ever commited because I thought I was going to die on that ride...and my cousin later became a nun...guess she made a promise to God if she got off that ride that she would live her life as a nun. I wasn't that desperate because I got married right out of high school and have been married for 46 years. All my family still lives in Houston but I moved to a small town in Bridgeport, Texas where we milked cows! Anybody out there can remember the platform dives at the Shamrock Hotel...oh well that is another story!

Thanks,

Ron Hoover

Denver Co.

We have discussed Playland on other threads, and I mentioned a few times about the maniacal mechanical clown that was in a glass booth at the entrance to the Fun House. I don't think anyone ever acknowledged that they remembered that.

He scared the Bajeezus outta me!

Well thanks alot Heights. That was a memory I could of gone without. As I remember, the clown was animated and screamed a horrific laugh. My wife remembered it too as soon as I mentioned it to her.

She also recalled a creepy mechanical fortune teller in a glass booth. We couldn't remember exactly where it was in the park. Maybe in the arcade?

when did playland park disappear? i don't remember playland park, but further up/down mainstreet was kiddie wonderland which we went to in the 60's. i sometimes wondered if the poor horses were going to make it around the track. kiddie wonderland made it to the 90's before it was demolished.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Ron Hoover

Denver Co.

I went there as a boy. Loved Playland Park. I went to Allen School, Sutton Elementary, Johnston Jr High, San Jac. Where did you go to school?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I remember the fortuneteller, but it didn�t bother me. What does bother me is that I can get up from the computer to get something in the other room, and when I get there, I forget what I went in there for.

Yet I can recall the most trivial of bits of information from when I was a kid. When you mentioned the fortuneteller, it came to me that there was a fortuneteller in a glass cage at the old Bill Williams Restaurant near Richmond. Why I would remember that I have no idea.

BILL WILLIAMS RESTAURANT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO EAT AND I ALSO REMEMBER THE FORTUNE TELLER................AS FOR AS THE REASON THAT YOU CANT REMEMBER FROM ONE ROOM TO THE NEXT.............HMMMM..........................IT'S CALLED GETTING OLDER AND I TO HAVE THAT SAME PROBLEM.

• 2 months later...

I can remember going to Playland Park back in 1958 with our CYO group. Riding the Tilt-a-World and eating lots of junk food. A boy that I really liked wanted me to ride the roller coaster with him and he wanted us to sit in the front car....and I told him that I didn't want to ride in the first car because it scared me....well he got mad and sat there anyway and I climbed into the second car while the rest of our group filled the back cars. Going down the fifth hill all the junk food in my stomach started churning and I up-chucked all over the "love of my 13 year old life" and then I just sunk down on the seat in embarassment...not knowing that the rest of my friends were getting pelted with flying vomit as the coaster was speeding around the tracks. Needless to say I was not too popular after we got off the roller coaster as I was the only one who didn't get a speck of puke on me. Think that was the last time I went with our CYO group anywhere. It was hard enough having to go to church on Sundays with them. I lived off of OST on Tierwester St. and went to the old St. Agnes Academy on Fannin St. Does anyone out there remember riding the ride that they called the Bullet....I think I told my cousin who rode it with me all the sins I ever commited because I thought I was going to die on that ride...and my cousin later became a nun...guess she made a promise to God if she got off that ride that she would live her life as a nun. I wasn't that desperate because I got married right out of high school and have been married for 46 years. All my family still lives in Houston but I moved to a small town in Bridgeport, Texas where we milked cows! Anybody out there can remember the platform dives at the Shamrock Hotel...oh well that is another story!

the bullet..........the ride my cousin put me on and the one i screamed at the top of my lungs to get off of, lol. playland was a great place, the wooden coaster and the might mouse or something close

Edited by capt. kirk

PLAYLAND PARK WAS NO WHERE NEAR PEARLAND...........IT WAS IN THE AREA JUST BEHIND WHERE THEY BUILT ASTROWORLD................PEARLAND IS SOUTH OF HOUSTON

on further research......playland park was located on south main, just inside loop 610, bordered by south main-murworth-and lantern drive...further east was kirby...the map shows the outline of where the astrodome was to be and the bridge across 610 and of course no astroworld yet. the 1957 image shows everything....by 64 the racetrack was gone and the partial park remained, the next year that shows is early 70's, everything is gone

• 3 years later...

I too used to go to Playland park. We also went to the stock car races in the back. My dad and I was there that fateful night in 1959 when a car crashed through the fence during the time trials killing three people outside the entrance near the concession stand, We were only about a minute from being at that very spot. As a couple of you mentioned the fortune teller. She was creepy as all get out and I avoided her like the plague.

I too used to go to Playland park. We also went to the stock car races in the back. My dad and I was there that fateful night in 1959 when a car crashed through the fence during the time trials killing three people outside the entrance near the concession stand, We were only about a minute from being at that very spot. As a couple of you mentioned the fortune teller. She was creepy as all get out and I avoided her like the plague.

That night marked the end to Playland Park one of the people that was killed that night was the owner of Playland. It closed not to long after his death. I too used to go there with my dad to watch the car racing, A.J. Foyt raced there then moved on to race at Meyer's Speedway.