Neighborhood Discussion

texas911

I agree. 

This forum covers areas that are far from each other and not connected in any way. Which defeats the point of having forums that are organized and easy to follow or contribute (it shouldn't take guesswork to find a topic or figure out where something should go, which is the case here and in other forums since these changes were implemented a month and half ago).

There's the city of Bellaire mixed with Bunker Hill and everything else. It makes no sense. And it makes no sense that the suburb forums have been nuked and merged with parts of town in the city of Houston. Like the Pearland area shares the same forum as southeast Houston (Sunnyside and South Park that are in the city of Houston) and the Woodlands shares the same forum as Acres Home and neighborhoods that are in the northern part of town in the city of Houston.

There should be a catch all forum for neighborhoods in the city of Houston, forums that are separated by parts of town (one of southwest Houston, one for southeast Houston, one for east Houston, one for northeast Houston, and so on). Then a thread for the suburbs (Katy area - would include Fulshear and other towns in that area, Pearland area - would include Manvel, Alvin, etc, Cypress, The Woodlands - would include Shenandoah and Conroe, and so on)

As for this, there should be threads for neighborhoods that have lots of developments going on: Galleria and Uptown area, Memorial area,  Washington Corridor, Garden Oaks / Oak Forest areas, Rice Village and West U area, Astrodome area (that's the name of area), and so on, similar to the dedicated threads for downtown,  the Heights, and the Medical Center.

To me and others here (who have shared the same concerns privately) that makes sense and makes it easy for everyone. This current setup doesn't make sense.

I agree too.

Looking at this particular forum now, we have a thread for "Coca Cola plant on Bissonnet closing".  But that's not even in an enclave, that's in Houston proper.  It's included here because it's near West U.  But in that case, shouldn't things in the Rice Village be alongside it since those are also near West U?  But then that just shows the deficiency in having a separate "Enclaves" forum like this that combines so many disparate cities.

I agree with @CrockpotandGravel that it would make more sense to geographically cluster things.   One possibility might be to have a forum for West U, Rice Village, Southside Place, Bellaire, and nearby areas.  A separate forum for the Memorial Villages area would have everything in those enclave cities plus anything happening in Houston nearby them.  If we are trying to keep forums at a minimum, as one potential example, we could combine the Texas Medical Center and Museum District forums, and allow discussion of Hermann Park too.  Rice University discussions could fit in either with the forum covering the Rice Village or the forum containing the TMC.

Or for that matter, judging by how few posts are in any of those forums, especially compared to highly active ones like the ones for the Heights, Midtown, and Montrose, maybe just combine all the "southwest loop" neighborhoods (TMC, Rice, Rice Village, Greenway Plaza, Boulevard Oaks, Linkwood/Braeswood Place, Astrodomain, inner loop enclave cities) into one "Southwest Loop" forum.

• The title was changed to Neighborhood Discussion
  • This topic was locked and unlocked
On 11/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, rechlin said:

I agree too.

Looking at this particular forum now, we have a thread for "Coca Cola plant on Bissonnet closing".  But that's not even in an enclave, that's in Houston proper.  It's included here because it's near West U.  But in that case, shouldn't things in the Rice Village be alongside it since those are also near West U?  But then that just shows the deficiency in having a separate "Enclaves" forum like this that combines so many disparate cities.

Exactly.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, rechlin said:

Or for that matter, judging by how few posts are in any of those forums, especially compared to highly active ones like the ones for the Heights, Midtown, and Montrose, maybe just combine all the "southwest loop" neighborhoods (TMC, Rice, Rice Village, Greenway Plaza, Boulevard Oaks, Linkwood/Braeswood Place, Astrodomain, inner loop enclave cities) into one "Southwest Loop" forum.

I think there are few posts in those forums because it's not clear what should go where. And there are fewer posts in the newly created forums because as discussed in posts here, it covers too broad of area to the point that it  reaches suburbs that are not in the city of Houston.

There are forums missing for major neighborhoods where development and adaptive reuses are surging (Washington Corridor, Rice Village area, Garden Oaks / Oak Forest area, Astrodome area, Galleria / Uptown area, Memorial area )

Geographical forums are the answer and make sense.

My suggestion:

• Inner Loop Forum
    (includes the current forums plus the ones below because they qualify having their own forums based on the amount of redevelopment and development taking place, as is/was the basis for the creation of the other dedicated neighborhood forums.)

• River Oaks

• Astrodome area (would include the Astrodome neighborhood that includes the areas surrounding NRG Stadium down to Holly Hall & 288)

• Rice Village area (would include SouthHampton, Boulevard Oaks neighborhoods and others, plus the city of West University Place)

• Washington Corridor (includes First Ward, Old Sixth Ward, Rice Military, and other neighborhoods)

• Fifth Ward area  (because there is lots of development happening here or going to with East River coming soon, which is usually the basis of a neighborhood or area receiving its own forum)

• Outer Loop Forum
    (would include the geographical parts of Houston proper that are between the loop and the beltway)

• Garden Oaks / Oak Forest (because there is lots of development happening here, which is usually the basis of a neighborhood or area receiving its own forum)

• Meyerland (because there is lots of development happening here, which is usually the basis of a neighborhood or area receiving its own forum)

• Bellaire (although some parts are inside the loop, majority of the city is outside the loop)

• Galleria / Uptown area

• Memorial area

• Energy Corridor

• Southwest Houston (a forum for all neighborhoods in southwest Houston)

• Southeast Houston  (a forum for all neighborhoods in southeast Houston)

• Northeast Houston    (a forum for all neighborhoods in northeast Houston)

• Northwest Houston   (a forum for all neighborhoods in northwest Houston)

• East Houston

• Suburbs
    (the return of the suburb forums)

• Pearland area (would include Alvin, Manvel and surrounding towns)

• Katy area (would include Richmond, Fulshear, Brookshire, and other surrounding towns)

• Sugar Land area (would include Missouri City, Stafford, Rosenberg, and other surrounding cities)

• The Woodlands & Spring area (would include Tomball, Conroe, Shenandoah, Oak Ridge and other surrounding towns)

• Kingwood & Humble area

• Cypress area

• Bay Area (would include Webster, Friendswood, League City, Seabrook, and other surrounding cities0

• Galveston area

• Pasadena area

• Baytown area

I know that there won't be a fix or addition where everyone will be 100% on board. And though the recent forum additions are a step in the right direction, this would be better because it will be easy for everyone (members and visitors ) to find topics or know where to find & post their contributions.

Also, I'm growing tired and bit irritated all of my threads for Washington Corridor areas, Rice Village area (would include SouthHampton, Boulevard Oaks and surrounding neighborhoods, Garden Oaks / Oak Forest areas (would also include Shepherd Forest, Independence Heights and others) are being relocated to forums that have ZERO to do with those neighborhoods, while other people's threads in the "Other Neighborhood" forum remain untouched and unmoved.

The creation of those threads in the "Other Neighborhood" shows the need for dedicated forums for Washington Corridor, Garden Oaks / Oak Forest area, Rice Village area, and others as suggested in posts above. These areas are NOT in or part of the Heights, they are NOT an enclave, or whatever forum threads I start are moved to. They are their own areas with lots of redevelopment and development deserving of their own dedicated forums.

I don't understand why this has to be up for debate or has to take years to create. The need for these forums make sense. The creation of these forums and sub-forums would bring better organization and easier for all (especially visitors) to follow and contribute without guesswork and confusion involved.

• The topic was locked

Archived