206 W. 27th St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created October 31, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

The lot at 206 West 27th St in the Heights was recently sold.

This was once a used car lot and mechanic shop.

The new owner of the property isn't available on HCAD currently.

rKia9kA.jpg

jfdOos2.jpg

This was originally posted October 31, 2017 in the previous thread for 206 W 27th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From Loopnet:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20378348/206-West-27th-St-Houston-TX/

The lot size is 23,887 SF
The building size is 7,392 SF

s2cNCfP.jpg

rUBij6U.jpg

This was originally posted October 31, 2017 in the previous thread for 206 W 27th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

This is marketed as a commercial property, so the building could be repurpose into something commercial. There's a lot next to it on N Shepherd with a business on it, but I don't know if it's still in operations. Has anyone heard what's going to happen here?

This was in the previous thread for 206 W 27th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by s3mh, October 31, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, mcook2002 said:

that has a lot of potential (meaning, here comes another beer garden)

With a repeal of the dry zone for bars and restaurants looming and all the new retail sq ft in the pipeline, you do have to wonder how many coffee shops, gastro pub/craft beer/cocktail bars, fitness studios and fashion boutiques the area can absorb before supply outstrips demand.  To the extent all the new development makes the Heights a destination for the entire city, the sky may be the limit.  But there are lots of places around town that are growing and will compete for the same retail/resto dollars.  East side, downtown, 6th/1st ward and even the GOOF will see a lot more retail development that will compete with the Heights.  

This was in the previous thread for 206 W 27th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Angostura, October 31, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

Lease rates in the Heights have gotten to the point that we're only really seeing established concepts, or new outposts from experienced operators, moving into new developments. Think of what's recently opened or slated to open in the next year or so:

- Bernie's

- Better Luck Tomorrow

- Cane Rosso

- Cloud 10 

- Helen

- Melange Creperie

- Mellow Mushroom

- Wooster's Annex/Heights Bier Garden- Bosscat

- Dish Society

- Hopdoddy

- Snooze

- Superica

BLT is the only original concept, and given the pedigree of the ownership team, it's as close to a sure thing as there is.

We're already seeing some of the development getting priced out of the Heights happening in Shady Acres (at least 4 new bars along 19th), and a lot of new stuff is slated for the east half of Washington (1st/6th ward) and east of downtown.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, November 1, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:12 AM, Angostura said:

Don't know, but isn't this the 700 block of W 27th? How is this address #206?

I don't know. I was going by the address that's on file with HCAD and Loopnet.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, November 1, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, mcook2002 said:

that has a lot of potential (meaning, here comes another beer garden)

God, I hope not.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:28 AM, s3mh said:

With a repeal of the dry zone for bars and restaurants looming and all the new retail sq ft in the pipeline, you do have to wonder how many coffee shops, gastro pub/craft beer/cocktail bars, fitness studios and fashion boutiques the area can absorb before supply outstrips demand.  To the extent all the new development makes the Heights a destination for the entire city, the sky may be the limit.  But there are lots of places around town that are growing and will compete for the same retail/resto dollars.  East side, downtown, 6th/1st ward and even the GOOF will see a lot more retail development that will compete with the Heights.  

I was wondering that too. It seems the Heights and surrounding neighborhoods that make up the Greater Heights is overflowing with restaurants. That may not be so, but it sure seems like it. Having choices is always a good thing, but at some point, too many restaurants will lead to lots of closures due to decline in demand. Commercial is needed for a vibrant neighborhood, but it should be a delicate balance of businesses. The restaurant industry on whole is on the brink of seeing more closures due to a mix of overstauration and increasing rents. I would like to see more artisan shops, similar to the ones at Heights Mercantile, but locally-owned. When I think of the Heights, I think of places like those on 19th Street. North Shepherd and White Oak to me, are perfect for restaurants, bars, and entertainment.

Originally posted by s3mh, November 1, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 10/31/2017 at 2:28 PM, Angostura said:

Lease rates in the Heights have gotten to the point that we're only really seeing established concepts, or new outposts from experienced operators, moving into new developments. Think of what's recently opened or slated to open in the next year or so:

- Bernie's

- Better Luck Tomorrow

- Cane Rosso

- Cloud 10 

- Helen

- Melange Creperie

- Mellow Mushroom

- Wooster's Annex/Heights Bier Garden- Bosscat

- Dish Society

- Hopdoddy

- Snooze

- Superica

BLT is the only original concept, and given the pedigree of the ownership team, it's as close to a sure thing as there is.

We're already seeing some of the development getting priced out of the Heights happening in Shady Acres (at least 4 new bars along 19th), and a lot of new stuff is slated for the east half of Washington (1st/6th ward) and east of downtown.

And Ascension. 

There is a big difference between Helen and Hopdoddy.  A chain with 21 locations across a couple of states is a totally different animal from a second location of a one off local concept.  There are still some new concepts coming to the Heights.  The chicken finger place next to the HEB on Shep.  The new bagel shop.  The Manuel Pucha's French restaurant is daring to take a shot at the cursed Studewood site and the European place that is going in on the ground floor of the medical building next to Bosscat.  But, yeah.  With leasing priced where it is, there are only so many ways to make use of the new retail space and make a profit.  Whether it is a chain or local concept isn't really the issue.  The issue is saturation and as you note competition from cheaper space in the 1st/6th ward, the East Side and maybe near north side.  If the Heights becomes a big city wide attraction, then demand can probably sustain a lot more retail development.  But if people are attracted to other spots around town on an increasingly equal footing to the Heights, then there may be a plateau on the way.  

Originally posted by Angostura, November 2, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:33 AM, s3mh said:

There are still some new concepts coming to the Heights.  The chicken finger place next to the HEB on Shep.  The new bagel shop.  The Manuel Pucha's French restaurant is daring to take a shot at the cursed Studewood site and the European place that is going in on the ground floor of the medical building next to Bosscat.  But, yeah.  With leasing priced where it is, there are only so many ways to make use of the new retail space and make a profit.  Whether it is a chain or local concept isn't really the issue.  The issue is saturation and as you note competition from cheaper space in the 1st/6th ward, the East Side and maybe near north side.  If the Heights becomes a big city wide attraction, then demand can probably sustain a lot more retail development.  But if people are attracted to other spots around town on an increasingly equal footing to the Heights, then there may be a plateau on the way.  

Shepherd will actually be Krisp's 2nd location. Pucha is the longshot that proves the rule, I guess.

The Heights doesn't really have the residential density to support all of these restaurants so places have to draw from outside the neighborhood to be successful. This isn't going to change, since the neighborhood appears to be doing everything it can to impede walkability.

The Heights is more convenient for more people than the east side (for now), and people don't really think of lower Washington as a dining destination (yet), so it remains an attractive option, but if rents start to get as high as in, say, Montrose, it'll definitely slow things down.

Originally posted by Angostura, November 2, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

Counterpoint:

Here's a map from Opentable for reservations 10 days from now. Pretty sparse in the Heights. Looks to me like Montrose, Galleria, Downtown and Upper Kirby all have much higher restaurant densities than the Heights, at least of the kind of places that take reservations.

(Photo of Opentable map was uploaded as an attachment. Like posts, all attachments added in threads that were started by me were deleted and not retrievable through Google cache.)

Originally posted by s3mh, November 2, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, Angostura said:

Counterpoint:

Here's a map from Opentable for reservations 10 days from now. Pretty sparse in the Heights. Looks to me like Montrose, Galleria, Downtown and Upper Kirby all have much higher restaurant densities than the Heights, at least of the kind of places that take reservations.

Coltivare, Liberty Kitchen and Field & Tides do not take reservations.  Ka Sushi takes reservations, but does not bother with Open Table.  Southern Goods is on a different online reservation platform.  Reservations are a must at Presidio on Fri/Sat, but they only take them by phone.  There are four prime restaurant pads that are currently in the process of turning over. (Hunky Dory, Bernadines, cursed Stella Sola and the late great Glass Wall).  Nundini takes reservations and the maitre d' will get all stressed out if you walk in on Friday or Saturday with out a reservation, but will quickly find you a table up front.  Can't wait for them to get back to business.  Harold's In the Heights takes reservations and is on a different platform.  The Heights restaurants tend to run more on the casual end, but you can spend a lot of money at any of the foregoing.  Galleria is not a fair comparison because they get a lot of expense account customers from the businesses nearby.  

I do not think that the Heights has reached saturation, but there are some big projects in the pipeline between the post office, waterworks and developments on N Shep and N Main.  So, it will be interesting to watch and see whether the sky is the limit or whether there will be a plateau.  

Originally posted by mcook2002, November 2, 2017 in the thread for 206 W 27th St.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:43 AM, Angostura said:

Shepherd will actually be Krisp's 2nd location. Pucha is the longshot that proves the rule, I guess.

The Heights doesn't really have the residential density to support all of these restaurants so places have to draw from outside the neighborhood to be successful. This isn't going to change, since the neighborhood appears to be doing everything it can to impede walkability.

The Heights is more convenient for more people than the east side (for now), and people don't really think of lower Washington as a dining destination (yet), so it remains an attractive option, but if rents start to get as high as in, say, Montrose, it'll definitely slow things down.

Field and Tide and Presidio should prove the rule too. 

• The title was changed to 206 W. 27th St.

Archived