Foodarama At 1803 Ella Blvd.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created May 8, 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

The property where Foodarama currently operates in the Lazybrook/Timbergrove area was up for sale in March.

From Re Business Online in March:

M&M Arranges Sale of 12,050 SF Retail Property in Houston

HOUSTON — Marcus & Millichap has arranged the sale of Houston Heights Retail Redevelopment, a 12,050-square-foot retail property in Houston. Gus Lagos and Evan Altemus of Marcus & Millichap’s Houston office marketed the property on behalf of the seller, a partnership. Altemus and Lagos also procured the unnamed buyer. Houston Heights Retail Redevelopment is located at 1803 Ella Blvd.

http://rebusinessonline.com/mm-arranges-sale-of-12050-sf-retail-property-in-houston/

JiO5yIf.jpg

This was originally posted May 8, 2016 in the previous thread for 1803 Ella Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Rumors of Foodarama's future ran rampant but a manager claims the store is staying put for now.

From The Leader in March:

UPDATE: A manager with Foodarama says the business isn’t going anywhere soon.

Management at the local grocery store emphasized that the business has not been closed and isn’t moving – however, the situation facing the building it resides in is somewhat murky.

The facility currently home to Foodarama was previously two different buildings that were later merged together, says Marcus & Millichap associate Evan Altemus. It used to be home to an Eckerd’s and one other business.

“If you stand inside of Foodarama, you can literally see where it was once two different buildings,” Altemus said.

According to a message left with The Leader, the landlord for one half of the property died and that portion is the 12,000 square foot that has now been sold. Foodarama’s lease will end at the facility in about five years Altemus says, at which time the owner of the other portion of the store may opt to separate the facility into two buildings once again.

“If that happens, [Foodarama] would have to move away,” Altemus said.

http://theleadernews.com/heights-foodarama-location-sold/

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted May 8, 2016 in the previous thread for 1803 Ella Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From this week's real estate transactions in Houston Chronicle, the 1803 Ella Blvd property was sold to Baker Katz:

Houston-based Baker Katz has purchased a 12,000-square-foot store at 1803 Ella Blvd. The building sits on 40,000 square feet of land and is occupied by Foodarama, which has an option to extend its lease. Gus Lagos and Evan Altemus of Marcus & Millichap represented the seller, the Houston Heights Retail Redevelopment. "Our decision to purchase this property was largely based on its location in an up-and-coming trade area with outstanding potential," Neal Wade, Baker Katz development partner, said in an announcement. "The gentrification of this area is attracting young professionals to live, work and play, and with an area suitable for the addition of national retail tenants, we're pleased to expand our Inner Loop Houston footprint and contribute to the growth of the area."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Real-estate-transactions-7407956.php

• The title was changed to Foodarama At 1803 Ella Blvd
  • 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Foodarama At 1803 Ella Blvd.
  • 8 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 7:39 PM, hindesky said:

I couldn't find any permits for it but Loopnet shows it for lease and Google Maps says "Permantently closed".

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1805-Ella-Blvd-Houston-TX/21433487/

EtUTcwY.png

1805 Ella Blvd, the site of the shuttered Foodarama grocery store is still available for lease.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1805-Ella-Blvd-Houston-TX/21433487/

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/KM5LJ-lZnxlqYvbrNJS7tfP4W48wu_AbPDOqgbUCUnk/Ella18th.pdf

12 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

It's fake news.

Also, mods there is an existing topic for this property. Please consider merging:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45583-foodarama-at-1803-ella-blvd

@Urbannizer @Highrise Tower @Triton

I think you linked to this same thread. Have another link?

1 hour ago, Triton said:

I think you linked to this same thread. Have another link?

The threads were merged by another moderator, that's why. 

I would have removed my post pertaining to the request (as I usually do), but the merge happened outside the 30 minute allotted time we're now given to edit or remove our posts.

Thanks anyways.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

Can anyone confirm/corroborate 

2D7B4520-A21F-4FE8-8EF6-195167B1A8CE.jpeg

As noted previously, the banner announcing a Trader Joe's at 1805 Ella Blvd is fake.

Baker Katz, owners of the property, confirms Trader Joe's will not be moving into the former Foodarama unit. The former Foodarama remains available for lease.

John Frels, one of the appointed administrators of the Houston Heights Foodies Facebook group, is often overzealous about sharing this kind of news. The same goes for gossip, be it confirmed or otherwise.

Also, as pointed out in that very topic, it's unrealistic Trader Joe's would lease that particular space. They're storefronts are typically smaller. Additionally, the Summer 2023 timeline is not realistic, if the news were true. A renovation of that scope would require more time, including going through the permitting process.

Anyway, the banner was removed yesterday afternoon.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, TacoDog said:

Was it a real banner? That's kinda funny.

Not a real banner, but an awesome troll of the people who keep begging for a Trader Joes in that location. I'm not sure why we would need another crappy grocery there, but there's no accounting for taste.