UNITi Montrose: 9-Story Apartments At 701 Richmond Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created February 26, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum. An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

Davis Commercial is marketing this property (archived link) next to an existing office building at 701 Richmond Ave. T

he building size is 3,000 SF.

More on Loopnet:

Montrose Build to Suit on Richmond Ave.
Up to 3,000 SF Restaurant/Retail
701 Richmond Ave. Houston, TX 77006
3,000 SF Bldg
Prime Montrose Location
Ideal for Restaurant or High End Retailer

Z9HC3Xj.jpg

• Like 1

This was originally posted February 26, 2017 in the previous thread for 1920 Houston Avenue (Former re:HAB Bar). It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Possible rendering of the adjacent building going up at 701 Richmond Avenue (from Tipps Architecture on Instagram😞

hck0cbF.jpg?1

This was in the previous thread for 701 Richmond Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Evil Developer, March 21, 2017 in the thread for 701 Richmond Ave.

hey that's my building!  hope we can snag a good tenant for this spot!  we have plenty of parking for dinner time!  the rendering is just a concept by Tipps, but we want to compliment our mid-century mod office building with this addition, so we hope to do something nice.

This was in the previous thread for 701 Richmond Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by bobruss, March 24, 2017 in the thread for 701 Richmond Ave.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, Evil Developer said:

hey that's my building!  hope we can snag a good tenant for this spot!  we have plenty of parking for dinner time!  the rendering is just a concept by Tipps, but we want to compliment our mid-century mod office building with this addition, so we hope to do something nice.

Just as long as you do the right thing and create a positive space with the public realm in mind everyone here should be happy. 

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to 701 Richmond Apartments: 15-Story Building For Montrose
47 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Wow! 4312 Greeley is really nice! I wonder how much these homes sold for.

They could have built a great building on the 2 lots and not had to tear anything down. I cannot stand demolition for the sake of vanity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You have to think that the proximity to the Ion pushed this one over the edge. It'll also be one of the most convenient transit locales in the city with Wheeler station getting a University BRT stop. 

This location also falls on a secondary Transit Oriented Development designated street/Transit Corridor street, so they will be subject to pedestrian realm standards.

These are listed in the TOD User's Guide as: 

pT084XJ.png

So at least an 8' sidewalk with a 4' safety buffer.

I believe TOD effectively pushes them to have side entrances to the parking garage as well, which is nice.  

They would also be able to opt-in to a 50% reduction in minimum parking requirements. 

Nice to see how the TOD ordinance is positive effecting the design of new buildings. 

• Like 8

On 1/27/2021 at 10:48 PM, clutchcity94 said:

I’m still waiting for someone to turn that big ugly yellow house on Richmond (former Drew’s BBQ) into something.

That place had good BBQ and the owner was super nice. To bad they couldn't get much business. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

Anyone on Nextdoor or any of the FB groups from this area of Montrose able to provide any intel on the NIMBY response?

This 8-10 block enclave south of Richmond is a fairly quiet area that is home to a really eclectic mix of old single family homes, new townhomes, and a few smaller 10-20 unit apartments. I used to work on the eastern side of Montrose just north of the bridge over 59, and would walk back through this area whenever I needed to step away from stressful lawyering stuff. It was pretty quiet and peaceful, with the only sound being the faint drone of cars going by on the recessed portion of 59. 

I cannot imagine the area would be too keen on a 15 story residential building going in. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Anyone on Nextdoor or any of the FB groups from this area of Montrose able to provide any intel on the NIMBY response?

This 8-10 block enclave south of Richmond is a fairly quiet area that is home to a really eclectic mix of old single family homes, new townhomes, and a few smaller 10-20 unit apartments. I used to work on the eastern side of Montrose just north of the bridge over 59, and would walk back through this area whenever I needed to step away from stressful lawyering stuff. It was pretty quiet and peaceful, with the only sound being the faint drone of cars going by on the recessed portion of 59. 

I cannot imagine the area would be too keen on a 15 story residential building going in. 

I lived on Jack St in this little section backing 59. I loved it! It's so chill and it's pretty charming with easy access to the Museum District. I plan on moving back soon. 

• Like 5

Looks like someone just posted it to Nextdoor less than an hour ago. No discussion yet. 

There’s a lively conversation (100+ posts) going on about this on Reddit, though.

What type of impact will this sort of development have on the Montrose homes south of Richmond?

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

Looks like someone just posted it to Nextdoor less than an hour ago. No discussion yet. 

There’s a lively conversation (100+ posts) going on about this on Reddit, though.

What type of impact will this sort of development have on the Montrose homes south of Richmond?

Parking issues and more people cutting through the neighborhood from Montrose to get to the development come to mind. Also, depending on how the garage is situated, which directions balconies face, etc., there could be a moderate increase in noise.

Don't get me wrong, I support this project and ones like it, I’m just being devil’s advocate here.

• Like 1

Parking issues and more people cutting through the neighborhood from Montrose to get to the development come to mind. Also, depending on how the garage is situated, which directions balconies face, etc., there could be a moderate increase in noise.

Don't get me wrong, I support this project and ones like it, I’m just being devil’s advocate here.

What effect will it have on nearby property values?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That place had good BBQ and the owner was super nice. Too bad they couldn't get much business. 

Indeed. It always reminded me of the quirky businesses that used to be plentiful in Montrose in the 70s and 80s but are practically extinct now. Many of those were likewise operating out of old houses. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I lived on Jack St in this little section backing 59. I loved it! It's so chill and it's pretty charming with easy access to the Museum District. I plan on moving back soon. 

Remind me here... (if you're old enough), after work, a few of us used to go to a small bar, that I think was on Jack St. It was on one of those small streets south of Richmond, in the curve of 59. It wasn't a big name place, mostly people who just knew about it. I'm thinking Sam Segura (sp?) may have had something to do with it. It had a couple letters on the door, that was the only signage I can recall.

Let's call it 1977, plus/minus a year or so.

12 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

What effect will it have on nearby property values?

Talking to my commercial real estate clients, apartment developments stabilizes property values in the surrounding areas because you know what that land will be used for and it will probably remain so for a while. A 10-20 story luxury apartment complex will have a good lifespan. 

Also, depending on the development there may be additional boons like improved curbs, drainage, trees/greenery, lighting, refreshing of CenterPoint wiring, etc. Those all increase property values. Then there is the buying power of those individuals entering that area, and if its a large enough complex the purchasing power can stabilize surrounding businesses. Thus, less empty storefronts. Negative externalities like street parking issues and noise and such also happens but usually not to the extent that it offsets the potentially positive additions. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...