Eureka Heights Brew Co. At 941 W. 18th St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created January 6 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly).  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming soon.

According to this tweet, the warehouse at 941 W 18th St has been leased by a new brewery opening in the Heights. The brewery is Eureka Heights Brew Co.:

Any word on Eureka Heights Brew, a new Houston brewery @ 941 W 18th @beernerds @FromTheLeader @theheightslife
BldXkya.jpg

A search on Google showed an entity named Jolly Jorts LLC at this address as does a search on Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission's website.

This was originally posted January  6, 2016 in the previous thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Specs about the warehouse at 941 W 18th St from Loopnet:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19015212/941-W-18th-Houston-TX/

A 22,200 sqft warehouse space with 2,000sqft of office, 11,700sqft of dry warehouse space, 5000 sqft of 38 degree Freezer space and 3,500sqft of Cooler space. Plus 5000 sqft of dry storage on mezzanine.(Not included in total sqft)

3 Dock High Doors and 1 Drive-in Bay Door.

Plenty of parking on westside of building for trucks and 8 parking spaces in front of office for car parking.

More information from a leasing flyer:

http://har3.commgate.com/photos/pdf/fs/214808_1.pdf

uPmUCB3.jpg

dGScUD5.jpg

This was originally posted January  8, 2016 in the previous thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Eureka Heights Brew Co. appears to be happening. There's a website up according to this tweet with some info:

There's a website for new Houston brewery Eureka Heights Brew Co. http://eurekaheights.com 

@beernerds @theheightslife

From the website:

Eureka Heights Brewing Company was forged in the dark depths of the Eureka Heights fault line and the hellfire of Houston summer. After a tireless search, we’ve found ourselves an ugly old warehouse to call home.

First, we’re going to powerwash the hell out of this warehouse. Then we’re gonna brew some kickass beer – interesting, approachable beers that are crisp, flavorful and (mostly) low alcohol. Oh, and stouts. Lots of them. (Like, more than one.)

So buckle up and get your face holes ready, because the space train is pulling into town.

This was in the previous thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by SamHouston, January 9, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

So looks like a former StA brewer is working this! https://twitter.com/TonySwank including comments like: 

https://twitter.com/TonySwank/status/685606138910388224

Also, many references to jorts in tweets with StA, which would explain the legal name!

This was in the previous thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, January 9, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

Looks like you're right. The founder of Eureka Heights Brew Co. is a former Saint Arnold Brewing Company brewer, Casey Motes.

Found this tweet on Twitter:

It's official, we're having a brewery! Due date sometime later this year. Follow us! @EurekaHeights

From Eureka Heights Brew Co. Facebook yesterday:

Oh, hello! We’re Eureka Heights Brewing Company. Since we’ve gotten to know each other so well in the last few seconds, you can call us Eureka Heights Brew Co. After several months we have finally escaped the deepest, darkest bowels of the permitting office and just wanted to pop our heads out to see what’s up. We didn’t see our shadow, so either we’re vampires or we have six more weeks of lagering. Anyway, we’re super pumped to join the amazing craft beer scene in Houston.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, January 9, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

From Swamplot:

Eureka Heights Brewing Company employees will get to work on beer as soon as they’re done “powerwashing the hell out of this warehouse” — that 22,000-sq.-ft. one formerly occupied by Jake’s Finer Foods on W. 18th St., half a block west of N. Durham Dr. (and even closer to the border of the Height’s historically (nominally) dry zone.) The brewery’s webpage also proudly touts its proximity to the trace of the Eureka Heights Fault, which crosses White Oak Bayou about where Ella Blvd. does (just a few blocks to the west of the newly leased space).

Other beer endeavors currently fermenting in and around the Greater Heights area include Platypus Brewpub (preparing to slip in behind the Tacodeli and upscale barbershop on their way to Washington Ave), Holler Brewing Company (planned for the Artists Alley section of the Sawyer Yards Development), Allen’s Landing Brewing Company (3540 Oak Forest Dr., a few blocks west of Petrol Station), and the seemingly-yet-unmoored Great Heights Brewing Company, which claims a numberless address on Heights Blvd. on its Facebook page.

As of October 2015 (according to the HBJ), Texas claimed some 117 craft breweries, up from 60 in 2011, as new laws around distribution have made it easier to start a beer operation from scratch — the Greater Houston Area is now home to more than 15 and counting.

http://swamplot.com/eureka-heights-brewing-will-dive-into-the-craft-beer-flood-at-the-edge-of-the-heights-dry-zone/2016-01-08/

Originally posted by BigFootsSocks, January 9, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

That Facebook post is gold and I'll support them based off their dry snarky humor alone. Hope the beer is good!

Also, for someone with more effort than I currently have, how many breweries does this make for Htown?

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, January 10, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

On 1/9/2016 at 12:32 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

That Facebook post is gold and I'll support them based off their dry snarky humor alone. Hope the beer is good!

Also, for someone with more effort than I currently have, how many breweries does this make for Htown?

I hope the beer is good. Rumaging through Facebook and Twitter, there are lots of people who've tried the beer and say it's good. The owner is known in the Houston craft beer community and was a brewer for Saint Arnold Brewing Company. The Heights is becoming a local beer mecca.

Originally posted by mcook2002 January 11, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

worth correcting to say he (casey) is 1/2 of 1 of 3 couples that own the brewery....

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, January 11, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

On 1/11/2016 at 10:49 AM, mcook2002 said:

worth correcting to say he (casey) is 1/2 of 1 of 3 couples that own the brewery....

There isn't any information about this place so the point of the thread is to post what you know. At the time no one here knew who was involved and then someone wrote that Casey is involved or it's his. Not intentionally leaving one out, people who aren't in the know or have insider knowledge don't know anything about this place other than the bread crumbs that's been put out there.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, February 6, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

From Eureka Heights Brew Co.'s Facebook last week:

Our shiny new brewhouse arrived this week.

Link to video:
https://www.facebook.com/EurekaHeightsBrewCo/videos/899479690173474/

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, February 6, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

Video of the brewery from Facebook:

Need to beef up our floors for the new tank farm. Moving the old concrete blocks like pancakes. Large, heavy, gravelly pancakes.

https://video-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xtl1/v/t42.1790-2/12811690_812443358884204_1022805259_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjM5MCwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoidjNfNDI2X2NyZl8yM19tYWluXzMuMF9zZCJ9&rl=390&vabr=217&oh=52dbe5dafca598374b384de2094da033&oe=56EA3623

Originally posted by Purpledevil, March 17, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

I saw a many an egg go through that warehouse in my youth...

Can't wait until someone gets the idea to lump Timbergrove in as a part of the Heights one of these days. The blue hair is gonna fly.

What's next? After Booker T. Washington's new campus gets completed, and the surroundings get "hip", are we suddenly going to be face to face with StudeHeights? Independence Heights of Greater Heights? North Sunset Heights? Oh, how about NoDo, so Studewood can be as with it as East End is these days.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravell, May 6, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

From Houston Business Journal last month:

Eureka Heights Brew Co., one of the latest breweries to launch into Houston's budding beer scene, is working to build out its 20,000-square-foot brewery and open by August, co-founders Casey Motes and Rob Eichenlaub told the Houston Business Journal.

The brewery's been under construction since January and will be completed in two phases. Phase I of the buildout will focus on the operations of the brewery; i.e. brewing beer, kegging the beer and having an on-tap presence in Houston's bar scene. That's expected to wrap up by August. Phase II will be more consumer-oriented and will include the taproom and patio.

Among Houston's well-known beer bars, such as The Hay Merchant and Flying Saucer, Eichenlaub said the brewers hope to have a presence in bars throughout the greater Houston area, even though they will be self-distributing kegs for the foreseeable future. Bars in Sugar Land, west Houston and Clear Lake weren't ruled out. Houston's bigger beer bars, such as The Ginger Man, Petrol Station, Cottonwood and D&T Drive In are also on the brewer's horizon, Eichenlaub said.

And in terms of geography, Motes and Eichenlaub said their primary goal was to find a piece of property in the inner Loop. EaDo housed some alluring properties for brewers, they said, based on the submarket's warehouse-heavy makeup. An advantage of their current Heights digs is the massive industrial cooler it came equipped with, as the warehouse used to be home to Houston-based Jake’s Finer Foods. Jake's vacated the property in early 2010, but that cooling system saved Eureka Brew Co. tens of thousands of dollars, if not more than $100,000, Motes said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/04/take-a-peek-inside-the-heights-newest-brewery.html

Originally posted by crockpotandgravell, May 6, 2016 in the thread for Warehouse at 941 W 18th St.

Renovation progress photos of Eureka Heights Brew Co. These are from the Houston Business Journal article linked above.

hZP5hM5.jpg

E2x3QVq.jpg

ED5wLpl.jpg

U3WmkL5.jpg

lpJ6aif.jpg

vA0E2Td.jpg

LuxUI9t.jpg

• The title was changed to Eureka Heights Brew Co. At 941 W. 18th St.

Archived