Main Street Market At 901 Main St.

hindesky

Scaffolding has been up since at least Thursday, maybe earlier, and the sidewalk is closed under the scaffolding.  All week there were men in white bunny suits covered in ash going in and out of the building, though I saw no activity today.  Earlier last week they were pumping water from the basement of the Holy Cross Chapel, and they still have a lot of heavy equipment on site trying to dry out and clean up that building so it can reopen.  Haven't heard any news on the building that burned, though.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:12 PM, hindesky said:

Scaffolding was going up when I rode by, hopefully to repair the fire damage.

7fDfUz7.jpg

There seems to be some confusion on this thread. This is a different building. Main Street Market is located at 901 Main St, not 1101.
Both buildings are of interest and deserve recognition. Perhaps a separate thread can be established for this address, and existing posts pertaining to it moved. Moderators?

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 9:07 AM, kbates2 said:

Looks like we should see how this looks underneath soon, they are removing the panels.

https://imgur.com/gallery/X6fzahX

(Can't figure out how to get the photo in the post)

in google chrome   right click -> open image in new tab.    copy link and paste.  If it's your picture you can go to images under your name in imgur. Click on picture in gallery, then copy direct link to paste here.

F10U5hF.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The condition of the original façade looks better than I feared but it's still far worse than the Main Street Food Store building at 1101 Main, which was reportedly already hard to justify restoring.  It appears the columns between the windowed sections were totally destroyed.  But maybe we'll get lucky -- I'd love to see that 1929 façade back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rechlin said:

The condition of the original façade looks better than I feared but it's still far worse than the Main Street Food Store building at 1101 Main, which was reportedly already hard to justify restoring.  It appears the columns between the windowed sections were totally destroyed.  But maybe we'll get lucky -- I'd love to see that 1929 façade back.

I assume that it could just be hard to restore on a convenience store budget.

2 hours ago, rechlin said:

It will cost more, true, but it may end up being more feasible as this is a taller building and can thus generate more income with a renovation. If your renovation cost plus 10-20% incentive is less than the increase in value resulting from a renovation, then you renovate. The increase in value will be based on how much income those upper stories can generate. It would probably have to be office space rather than residential, and from what I know, there is a lot of empty Class B historic office space downtown in buildings already renovated (Esperson is sitting half empty a couple blocks away). So prospects are still a little iffy for this one.

Just now, kbates2 said:

I assume that it could just be hard to restore on a convenience store budget.

They can get a bank loan, just need to show the bank what the value will be post-renovation.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rechlin said:

It wasn't that it was hard to justify. The owner didn't have the money to renovate on that scale and welcomed whoever could help restoring it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
30 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Does anyone know if this will return as Main Street Market? I walked by this morning and it's completely gutted with construction workers in there.  Wasn't sure if this is still post-fire remediation or something new?

Man I hope not.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2019 at 10:12 PM, hindesky said:

Scaffolding was going up when I rode by, hopefully to repair the fire damage.

7fDfUz7.jpg

I happened to see it once in the beginning... It already looks better, but obviously there is still work to do. I don't like repairs I love the result of repairs:) Last year I was building a house and I needed scaffolding like this, I spent a lot of time for searching, everything was very expensive or with poor quality. I was lucky, I found a site, I will share it for you if someone found it helpful https://www.costshed.com/outside/scaffolding-prices/ . I didn't want to take a risk my health and chose this service, it is reliable and not expensive, really ,I searched for a long time and did not find it cheaper than this. I checked for myself. My house looks great right now. Good luck:)

Edited by Tedy
with time, I have new information
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:17 AM, CREguy13 said:

Does anyone know if this will return as Main Street Market? I walked by this morning and it's completely gutted with construction workers in there.  Wasn't sure if this is still post-fire remediation or something new?

This sounds like great news. Is the original facade still exposed?

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Main Street Market At 901 Main St.