Strip Center At 1415 Richmond Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created August 26, 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly).  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming soon.

Nondescript strip center at 1415 Montrose Blvd in Houston.

k509jOo.jpg

This was originally posted  April 26, 2016 in the previous thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Pepino's Italian Restaurant located at 1421 Richmond Avenue in the strip center next to Mandell Park closed in July.

From Houston Chronicle:

It appears that longtime Montrose establishment Pepino's Italian Restaurant has closed.

While there was some doubts about its status when the signage started coming down, a for-lease sign is now up in its place. Beyond that, calls to the small family-owned space have not been answered, and when we reached out to Pepino's Facebook page admin, the profile promptly disappeared. 

The Montrose staple at 1421 Richmond, next to El Pueblito Patio, has been around for more than a decade but had received mixed reviews for the last several years. On Yelp — which has also declared it closed — it had 2.5 stars with 43 reviews. Yelp reviews included some odd stories about the service, complaints about the food and its prices, and even a story about a roach on the table.

Although it did receive one recent rave review from Houston-based magazine My Table, which called it a "Montrose gem overlooked." 

We'll update if we hear back from the owners. 

This was originally posted  April 26, 2016 in the previous thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Pepino's Italian Restaurant may be one of several casualties in this strip center. It's not updated on Houston County Appraisal District's site yet but a recent LLC filing for 1415 Richmond Realty LTD suggests there's a new owner.

This may mean renovations are coming and more closures. 1415 Richmond LTD is registered to Braun Enterprises, who also own the strip a block over where Oui Banh Mi, The Revelry are located. Does anyone know anymore about this?

a7n6HNL.jpg

This was in the previous thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Texasota, August 26, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

Braun tends to do decent strip mall renovations as opposed to straight-up redevelopment, so maybe that's what they're planning here? 

This was in the previous thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, August 27, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

I thought the same but wouldn't it be nice if this was torn down? I can imagine a parking garage and several floors of retail, restaurants and offices. I doubt it will come to be but what a thought! This area need more density buildings that are built upwards.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, October 23, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

I was right. This strip is being redeveloped and the remaining tenants are either closing or moving.

Houston Business Journal confirmed it last month:

Houston-based Braun Enterprises, one of the inner Loop's fastest-growing retail developers, has closed on two assets in bustling neighborhoods.

The company closed on properties at 1415 Richmond Ave. near Montrose and 2401 N. Shepherd Dr. in the Heights, Dan Braun told the Houston Business Journal.

The property in Montrose, though, should undergo some renovations in a nearer-term timeframe. The 10,000-square-foot strip center, which formerly housed Pepino's Italian Restaurant, has received interest from a number of tenants, he said, including juice bar users and other retail users. Braun will replace the former Pepino's space with a new restaurant, too.

"After years of chasing the 1415 Richmond center, we finally got a response and got a deal," Braun said. "Once we go into an area, we like to do more than one deal."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/09/23/exclusive-fast-growing-retail-developer-scoops-up.html

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, October 23, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

New leasing fliers from Braun Enterprises renaming this strip to 1415 Richmond:

jSrH9kx.jpg

946XlG7.jpg

cIBW9hL.jpg

Originally posted by crockpoandgravel, October 23, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:35 AM, corbs315 said:

But what of Michael's Outpost!? 

Don't know.

Originally posted by hindesky, October 30, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

Michael's Outpost seems to have expanded and taken over the Pepino's portion, drove by this morning.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 14, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

On 10/29/2016 at 7:55 PM, hindesky said:

Michael's Outpost seems to have expanded and taken over the Pepino's portion, drove by this morning.

I saw that also. But an updated leasing flyer shows the Pepino's space is available for lease with the convenience store and washateria.

BgiwAoX.jpg

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, December 14, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

I'm happy for the redevelopment but I'd hate to lose quality businesses for the neighborhood. I live close by, so I hope the majority of the businesses stay. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 15, 2016 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

The convenience store added character. Giving that the neighborhood's aesthetic is changing, I give that strip two or three years before it's bulldozed into something else.  

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 26, 2017 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

Updated site plan for 1415 Richmond Ave strip center being redeveloped by Braun Enterprises.

In the Pepino's Italian Restaurant space at 1421 Richmond Avenue is Ms. Saigon Cafe.

The barber shop is closing. The site plan shows the space being available in the fall.

ZPw1UhS.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 16, 2017 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

From Houstonia:

A popular West University Vietnamese hub may be expanding to Montrose. Miss Saigon Café is rumored to be opening in the Braun Enterprise-acquired strip center at 1415 Richmond Avenue. The eatery could replace shuttered Pepino’s Italian Restaurant at 1421 Richmond Avenue.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2017/6/16/may-june-2017-restaurant-rumors-and-closings-houston

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 29, 2017 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

Miss Saigon is opening in the Pepino's space at 1421 Richmond Ave. 

CultureMap has an article with a report that the restaurant is moving from West U to Montrose, not expanding.

When her landlord wouldn’t offer her a long term lease renewal, Miss Saigon owner Mai Ho made the difficult decision to leave Rice Village after 22 years. In order to keep as many of her current customers as possible, she began looking for something nearby. 

Ho tells CultureMap that she found the right opportunity in a shopping center on Richmond Avenue near Mandell that’s owned by local developer Braun Enterprises. A sign at Miss Saigon’s current location announces that the restaurant will close on July 29 and reopen no later than August 15. So far, Ho says the reaction from her customers has been mostly positive. 

“(Customers) say that’s a good location, (but) they’re sad that we’re moving,” Ho says. “I have a few customers in Montrose; they’re happy I’m moving closer to them.”

While Miss Saigon’s address is changing, the menu will remain the same. That’s good news for fans of signature dishes like the lemongrass chicken, vegetarian stir fry, and salmon hot pot.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-28-17-miss-saigon-cafe-lua-viet-kitchen-vietnamese-restaurants-montrose

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 9, 2017 in the thread for Strip Center at 1415 Richmond Ave.

Updated site plan for the 1415 Richmond Ave strip mall shows a pet grooming place: The Pet Barber

WIq3O0D.jpg

• The title was changed to Strip Center At 1415 Richmond Ave.

Archived