The Block: Retail, Office Development At 2339 Commerce St.

This was in the previous thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by I'm Not a Robot, May 2,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

it's been de-listed from Loopnet.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2339-Commerce-St-Houston-TX/7148008/

From Houston Business Journal:

...WeWork also has pending leases in the region that will add an additional 1,000 desks by the end of 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/02/wework-confirms-the-woodlands-location.html

I'm going out on a limb and guessing a coworking space signed a portion of the lease. Hopefully not the whole facility because I was really hoping to see a restaurant or bar in here:

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 17,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Dallas cidery Bishop Cider Co. is opening a cider bar and arcade in Houston.

Edit: It's not going in the R.B. Everett Building at 3118 Harrisburg Boulevard in the East End (that's too small). It will open at The Block at 2339 Commerce. Thanks to @EaDolivin for connecting the rendering on the Cidercade Houston website to the rendering of The Block by Ancorian. 

Their announcement last week gave a location ballpark of EaDo ( East Downtown ), located down the street from both nearby stadiums and will be 18,000 SF.

Here is the Facebook announcement from Bishop Cidercade on Saturday:

The rumors are true: Cidercade Houston

Get ready Houston: a new Cidercade location is coming your way!

Bishop Cidercade Houston will proudly offer 18,000* sq ft of arcade and bar fun, and 30 ciders + wines on draft. Located right down the street from BBVA Compass Stadium and Minute Maid Park in the EaDo District.

*As a point of reference, the Dallas Cidercade is 6,500sf.

Location will be opening later this year.

To get updates on the progress, go to:

http://cidercadehouston.com

Source: https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/photos/a.1420998174585594/2758480010837397

Originally posted by EaDolivin, June 17,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Judging from the website, the photo of the warehouse matches the 2339 Commerce St location, which is a development known as 'The Block'.  The details are in a previous thread linked below.

I'm personally super excited about this as I live in the area.  EaDo just keeps getting better and better!

Sta1Tw9.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by EaDolivin, June 17,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Looks like Bishop Cidercade will be leasing part of the 'The Block' warehouse (18,000 sq ft)!

(the pic in the first link looks exactly like it)

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/photos/a.1420998174585594/2758480010837397

Originally posted by I'm Not a Robot, June 17,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:06 PM, EaDolivin said:

Looks like Bishop Cidercade will be leasing part of the 'The Block' warehouse (18,000 sq ft)!

(the pic in the first link looks exactly like it)

https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/photos/a.1420998174585594/2758480010837397

Great find. this is awesome news. 

Originally posted by thedistrict84, June 17,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, EaDolivin said:

Judging from the website, the photo of the warehouse matches the 2339 Commerce St location, which is a development known as 'The Block'.  The details are in a previous thread linked below.

I'm personally super excited about this as I live in the area.  EaDo just keeps getting better and better!

Which photo on the website are you referring to? I don’t see anything on the website or FB page that gives any indication of which building it is or what it looks like. I assume the shots they are using are from their Dallas location, which is the only one that’s open.

Originally posted by I'm Not a Robot, June 17,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:34 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Which photo on the website are you referring to? I don’t see anything on the website or FB page that gives any indication of which building it is or what it looks like. I assume the shots they are using are from their Dallas location, which is the only one that’s open.

EaDolivin posted that in the 2339 Harrisburg thread. 

Originally posted by gene, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

always cool to see HAIF mentioned and given credit! 

From Eater Houston:

One of Dallas’ favorite locations for house-made cider and arcade games, Bishop Cidercade, will expand into Houston in the coming months.

Eater Austin reports that the Dallas original has plans to open locations in both Austin and Houston by the end of the year. The Space City outpost will be situated in EaDo “right down the street from BBVA Compass Stadium and Minute Maid Park,” according to an announcement posted to the company’s Facebook page. A rendering sniffed out by posters on architecture forum HAIF speculates that it will be located at 2339 Commerce Street, at the Block mixed-use development.

The Houston outpost will be three times larger than the Dallas location with 18,000 square feet of space housing arcade games and a bar. As far as drinks are concerned, Bishop Cidercade will serve up brews by its namesake brand Bishop Cider, which will amount to 30 ciders and wines on draft with clever names like Beach Please, Cran’t Touch This, Darkcide, and the always delicious and addictive Crackberry, an aptly named cranberry and blackberry cider.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

While scrolling through Facebook comments on the post announcing Bishop Cidercade coming to Houston, Joel Malone, co-owner of Bishop Cider Co. & Bishop Cidercade Houston wrote this today:

Due to the lack of zoning in Houston, it is very likely that our Houston location will open 1-2 months before Austin. Also, we aren’t duplicated the Dallas one into the other cities. All three will be drastically different and catered to the City. They won’t resemble the Dallas location at all.

https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/posts/2758485927503472?comment_id=2766660366686028&reply_comment_id=2768053409880057

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, EaDolivin said:

EaDo is becoming vibrant again with each new development rising up. It's as vibrant as the old Chinatown of the 70's and 80's. I hope the 45 expansion dies a horrible death. With East Downtown as the new it spot, the expansion will kill growth, in my humble opinion.

If you are stoked over Cidercade, take a peek into the East Village thread in the Going Up forum. There's another cool arcade and bar  opening there in EaDo.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32934-east-village-mixed-use-development-at-1201-st-emanuel/?do=findComment&comment=593703

Originally posted by Avossos June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

EaDo is becoming vibrant again with each new development rising up. It's as vibrant as the old Chinatown of the 70's and 80's. I hope the 45 expansion dies a horrible death. With East Downtown as the new it spot, the expansion will kill growth, in my humble opinion.

putting the freeway underground will be good for the long term for everyone.

Originally posted by thedistrict84, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I hope the 45 expansion dies a horrible death. With East Downtown as the new it spot, the expansion will kill growth, in my humble opinion.

I’m with you on this. The 45 reroute project will take out something like 10%-12% of the total land that makes up EaDo, including many lots prime for development near East Village and 8th Wonder.

Ten years of construction will also have a detrimental effect on the businesses that are already open, including EaDo-adjacent businesses like the Bishop Cidercade (which is technically in Second Ward, as EaDo ends at the BNSF tracks). I don’t see how some—if not most—of them will survive.

Originally posted by Houston19514, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, thedistrict84 said:

I’m with you on this. The 45 reroute project will take out something like 10%-12% of the total land that makes up EaDo, including many lots prime for development near East Village and 8th Wonder.

Ten years of construction will also have a detrimental effect on the businesses that are already open, including EaDo-adjacent businesses like the Bishop Cidercade (which is technically in Second Ward, as EaDo ends at the BNSF tracks). I don’t see how some—if not most—of them will survive.

Nonsense. 

I think you exaggerate the percentage of land it takes.  Does EADO have a shortage of developable lots?  The buried freeways and deck park will convert far more real estate into true prime real estate than any of the long-vacant lots taken by the project.

The construction should not really have that much of an impact on the neighborhood.  It's not as if any significant access points to the area will be eliminated and those that are temporarily blocked for construction will not be blocked for ten years or anything close to it.  This project is a total win for EADO. The investors and business who continue to pour money into and build businesses in the area have access to the internet too; if the future of the area was so bleak because of the impending project, they would probably be looking elsewhere.

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Originally posted by Houston19514, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Nonsense. 

I think you exaggerate the percentage of land it takes.  Does EADO have a shortage of developable lots?  The buried freeways and deck park will convert far more real estate into true prime real estate than any of the long-vacant lots taken by the project.

The construction should not really have that much of an impact on the neighborhood.  It's not as if any significant access points to the area will be eliminated and those that are temporarily blocked for construction will not be blocked for ten years or anything close to it.  This project is a total win for EADO. The investors and business who continue to pour money into and build businesses in the area have access to the internet too; if the future of the area was so bleak because of the impending project, they would probably be looking elsewhere.

You cannot build on top of the freeway. TXDOT already said that this area will not have the necessary supports to build on. Also the park is FAR from a guarantee at this point. If they put the freeway underground, it will resemble the 59 underground freeway with bridges above it. No private group will support a park and without getting the funding secured now, there is no potential for a park in the future due the support structures needed. 

I didn't see this posted in here, although the old posts being re-inserted are a bit confusing. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/10/28/dallas-coworking-company-heading-to-houstons-east.html

Dallas Co-working coming to the remaining 25,000 SQ FT along with their coffee shop Fiction Coffee, which looks pretty great. A lot of coffee coming to this area which is great for me because the more options the better.  https://www.instagram.com/fictioncoffeeshop/

Cidercade is also re-confirmed. 

not in the article: Cidercade is still awaiting permitting to begin their construction in the facility. I'm not sure on timelines but that is the hold up currently. Hopefully the Cidercade can still be completed by early next year (originally estimated for October)

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Dallas Co-working coming to the remaining 25,000 SQ FT along with their coffee shop Fiction Coffee, which looks pretty great. A lot of coffee coming to this area which is great for me because the more options the better.  https://www.instagram.com/fictioncoffeeshop/

One can never have too much coffee. Bring it on.

• Like 2

Originally posted by CaptainJilliams June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

I agree with @Houston19514 on this one, I think you are catastrophizing the impact of the new highway.

And if the highway cap park ever gets built, it will directly connect downtown with EaDo, creating greater walkability and opportunities for people/visitors to explore EaDo.  

Originally posted by thedistrict84, June 19,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

I was just going along with what C&G said regarding the project’s effect on EaDo and EaDo-adjacent businesses, in the context of this particular business opening at The Block.

Sorry if I led this thread astray.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 21,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, Avossos said:

putting the freeway underground will be good for the long term for everyone.

Agree to disagree.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 21,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

While scrolling through Facebook comments on the post announcing Bishop Cidercade coming to Houston, Joel Malone, co-owner of Bishop Cider Co. & Bishop Cidercade Houston wrote this today:

Due to the lack of zoning in Houston, it is very likely that our Houston location will open 1-2 months before Austin. Also, we aren’t duplicated the Dallas one into the other cities. All three will be drastically different and catered to the City. They won’t resemble the Dallas location at all.

https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/posts/2758485927503472?comment_id=2766660366686028&reply_comment_id=2768053409880057

More on Bishop Cidercade's Houston location at 2339 Commerce.

The development won't be named The Block but 2339 Commerce, says Houston Business Journal.

Joel Malone, co-owner of Bishop Cider Co. & Bishop Cidercade Houston confirmed Cidercade is opening at 2339 Commerce. 

It will be in Houston-based Ancorian's new mixed-use project called 2339 Commerce Street, Malone confirmed to the Houston Business Journal via email.

Last fall, Ancorian broke ground on the project, which is located along Colby Street between Commerce and Canal streets in the East End District. At the time, it was called The Block.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/19/dallas-based-cidercade-expanding-to-houston-austin.html

And there is this:

It will also have a cider production facility on a much smaller scale than the Dallas location, offering small batches of Bishop beverages.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190619/cidery-arcade-bar-comes-to-former-joes-crab-shack-site-in-austin

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 24,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

More on the Houston location of Bishop Cidercade at 2339 Commerce in Second Ward: 

...The Houston location will be the concept's new flagship.

Co-owner Joel Malone wants to see what kind of cider Houstonians are craving. To do that kind of research and development, he says, having a brick-and-mortar location in the market helps. 

...The cidercade will seat 250 and will span 20,000 square feet, including a patio.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/21/why-a-dallas-based-cidercade-decided-to-bring-its.html

Originally posted by crock, June 24,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

I remember the first day Bishop Cider opened in a little hole in the wall in the bishop arts district, I walked right up to Joel and asked him where his apples came from/what varietals they used, and he mumbled something about the northeast then said Michigan and maybe New York.  If you care about craft or actual cider, they're total and complete garbage.   

i'm hopeful the houston cider company thats being built near sawyer yards is truthful about their owners attachment to a specific orchard and that they focus on actual varietals/heirlooms, and not just making flavored apple juice. 

Originally posted by thedistrict84, July 10,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

There is some activity and new equipment at the site, including a paver. Looks like they might finally pave the parking lot—curbs were already done, trees have been planted in the medians between rows, and the lot has been leveled for some time.

C1fs4hH.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, August 1,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Parking lot almost done

FQkuyIU.jpg

Houston Midtown, on Flickr

On 11/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, JBTX said:

Oh man, I forgot that the original look was going to be colorful. Oh well. I do like the wood-paneled side.

I like the wood-paneled sided building too, but sort of  wish Ancorian would have kept the colorful design. That alone would have made it an instant spot to take photos for the 'gram.

• Like 1

Last week, another tenant was announced for The Block, Ancorian's new Second Ward development at 2339 Commerce St:

The announcement provided insight on the coworking  office reported over the last two years.

Ancorian signed  Common Desk, a coworking office from Dallas.

I think the address Houston Chronicle reported from the press release is wrong. Instead of 2339 Commerce,  the Chronicle lists 2339 Canal St.

From Houston Chronicle last week:

Coworking company Common Desk opened its first location in 2012 in Deep Ellum, a neighborhood just east of downtown Dallas known for its arts and entertainment venues.

The company saw similar characteristics in Houston’s EaDo, where it's planning its newest outpost.

Dallas-based Common Desk will occupy 25,000-square-feet in a warehouse redevelopment project at 2339 Canal St. called The Block.

“EaDo reminds us of Deep Ellum,” Nick Clark, CEO of Common Desk, said in an announcement. “It has the cultural authenticity and significance that we as a brand love to build a foundation from, offering the diverse variety of concepts and convenience you want from a submarket, without the congestion and parking difficulties you might find in a central business district.”

The new EaDo coworking space will have shared desks, eight conference rooms, private offices and suites for larger teams. Amenities will include a fitness concept, an outdoor patio, coffee shop, wet bar and shared kitchen. It will open next summer, the company said.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Dallas-coworking-company-to-open-EaDo-outpost-14691880.php

• The title was changed to The Block 2339 Commerce St
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

"Common Desk" signage is up. Looks like they are currently setting up inside the south side of the building.

No word on Bishop Cidercade. The Austin location just opened, which means it should free up their development team to target Houston. It's still listed on their website as "Coming Soon" with no additional updates.