The Block: Retail, Office Development At 2339 Commerce St.

This thread was originally created January 17, 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link  will be posted soon.

The 60,000 SF warehouse in Houston's Second Ward at 2339 Commerce may be redeveloped into a mixed-use development, retail or residential.

YyuXaZH.jpg

hXjyTwg.jpg

2339 Commerce St is listed as an upcoming project on Ancorian's website:

http://www.ancorian.com/project/2339-commerce/

2339 Commerce is a 60,000 SF redevelopment project located in Houston’s rapidly gentrifying east downtown neighborhood. 2339 sits in the shadows of downtown Houston and provides an eclectic value option for downtown office users.

oLVTUBh.png

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Urbannizer, August 31,  2016 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/3093368F-A094-49E9-8379-169D37ECB6B5.pdf

G0iCHCN.jpg

a94x3fa.jpg

This was in the previous thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by UtterlyUrban, September 8,  2016 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Nice to see more thoughtful development.  I hope it leases well and quickly.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, December 13,  2016 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

About the Commerce Street project:

" This large 70,000 square foot existing warehouse is currently being restructured into office and restaurant space for the development group, Ancorian in the growing East Downtown area of Houston. "

Another rendering of Commerce Street at 2339 Commerce from Mak Studio's website:

7ceyl6b.jpg

• Like 2

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, December 15,  2016 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Another rendering of Commerce Market at 2339 Commerce Street. It's the same as Urb's (here) but without people. This was taken from Ancorian's website.

ugvlmpR.jpg

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, May 26,  2017 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Updated site map for 2339 Commerce Street.

Two tenants added:

Interfield - a leading consulting engineering company in Houston, specializing in engineering and architectural design services.

Inbox Printing - Houston’s premier full-service printing  company. With a full staff of industry veterans and the latest in digital printing equipment on site.

2K6WodN.jpg

VtNkpqJ.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, June 1,  2017 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Niiice!

Originally posted by Urbannizer, September 22,  2017 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Updated listing for 2339 Commerce St. Looks like they now plan to take out a portion of the warehouse for more parking.

Updated renderings

GOlZ1bt.jpg

nG2CUOp.jpg

NFivXJC.jpg

Originally posted by ryrohtx, December 2,  2017 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Demo has started on this project. I will take some pics this afternoon. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 7,  2017 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

The Ancorian re-adaptive development at 2339 Commerce at Canal has a new name: The Block.

In addition to creative offices, other tenants desired includes restaurants, a distillery, or a brewery.

dFhOjoR.jpg?1

Unable to archive the Loopnet page for this development (useful because Loopnet has implemented new measures where the site either deletes listings or remove all images and pdf files once a listing has been leased or sold), but here's a screenshot of the page.

lFBkf4K.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by thedistrict84, April 26,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Does anybody know the latest on this project? There hasn’t been any activity on site for months. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, November 16,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, thedistrict84 said:

Does anybody know the latest on this project? There hasn’t been any activity on site for months. 

Update on The Block at 2339 Commerce from Houston Business Journal this week:

Houston-based Ancorian, a real estate development company, recently broke ground on a 44,000-square-foot warehouse reuse project at 2339 Canal St. in east downtown, Michael Sperandio, a founding partner at Ancorian, told the Houston Business Journal. When the project delivers near the end of 2019, it'll likely contain coworking space and one or two retail or restaurant concepts, Sperandio said.

"It’s east downtown proper, it’s not EaDo, but we’ve taken this old metal building and started working on bringing it back to life," Sperandio said.

The project, dubbed The Block, has been underway for around two years since Ancorian acquired a 70,000-square-foot industrial warehouse on 2.5 acres at Canal Street and Colby Street, Sperandio said. Ancorian demolished part of the warehouse, which made room for around 200 parking spots at the development. Houston-based Method Architecture is the architect and Houston-based Course Construction is the general contractor.

The project has garnered attention from major coworking companies, including New York-based WeWork, Sperandio said.

"They came and toured it," Sperandio said of WeWork. "I don’t know if we’re the right fit for them — we’re not a typical office space like they've taken in the past — but they’re aware of our property. … I know they want to be in east downtown."

Some coworking companies have expressed interest in leasing the entire property, Sperandio said. The project's also received interest from makerspace companies, or coworking space that's geared toward craftspeople and artisans in need of studio space.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/11/13/exclusive-houstons-east-village-developer-breaks.html

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, November 16,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Construction progress photos of The Block at 2339 Commerce from Houston Business Journal

KevXzVd.jpg

3EamypV.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by cspwal, November 16,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

"It’s east downtown proper, it’s not EaDo, but we’ve taken this old metal building and started working on bringing it back to life," Sperandio said.

What does this quote mean?  EaDo is short for East Downtown, and this block looks pretty far away from "downtown" regardless

Originally posted by august948, November 19,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

I think they are trying to say it's not in the official EaDo boundries.  Technically, it's in the second ward but I'd bet people will just say EaDo anyway.

Originally posted by thedistrict84, November 19,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, august948 said:

I think they are trying to say it's not in the official EaDo boundries.  Technically, it's in the second ward but I'd bet people will just say EaDo anyway.

I think the Second Ward name is still sticking for the most part, but there is definitely some name-creep occurring in the area, thanks mostly to town home developers.

The worst part about living in Second Ward is having to correct all of the people that call it EaDo. The BNSF rail line provides a clear boundary, so I’m not sure what’s so confusing about it. Oh well.

Originally posted by Tone2002, November 20,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

Do people really still use the ward designations?? Outside of Fifth Ward/Third Ward rarely are the other areas referred to as such.

Originally posted by Ross, November 20,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/20/2018 at 12:04 AM, Tone2002 said:

Do people really still use the ward designations?? Outside of Fifth Ward/Third Ward rarely are the other areas referred to as such.

Yes. Although, 2nd Ward is the least heard.

Originally posted by Naviguessor, November 20,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

^^ Unless you live in or near there.  Then you hear it all of the time. 

Don't forget Old Sixth Ward or Forth Ward/Freedman's Town, either.  They’re not going away.  First Ward, Art District is pretty proud too. 

So, other than First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Wards, nobody really refers to the wards as wards. 

Originally posted by thedistrict84, November 21,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, Naviguessor said:

So, other than First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Wards, nobody really refers to the wards as wards. 

😀

As long as Google maps still labels the area Second Ward, I don’t think the designation will go anywhere. If anything, it might help broaden use of the name.

Originally posted by Tone2002, November 23,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, Naviguessor said:

^^ Unless you live in or near there.  Then you hear it all of the time. 

Don't forget Old Sixth Ward or Forth Ward/Freedman's Town, either.  They’re not going away.  First Ward, Art District is pretty proud too. 

And I have a bridge to sell you too. I live in the East End and the use of Second Ward is nonexistant. Let them tell you there is no such thing as EaDo, but those are lies regarding the use of 1st/2nd/4th/6th wards. I find it funny you throwing in “Freedman’s Town” when that area clearly isn’t referred to that. 

Originally posted by intencity77, November 23,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

For me that’s false. I’ve lived here ten years and have heard both Second Ward and East End used interchangeably when describing the area. Only in the last 3-4 years has the EaDo word spilled over the railroad tracks and into the western portions of the East End/Second Ward.

Originally posted by thedistrict84, November 26,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, intencity77 said:

For me that’s false. I’ve lived here ten years and have heard both Second Ward and East End used interchangeably when describing the area. Only in the last 3-4 years has the EaDo word spilled over the railroad tracks and into the western portions of the East End/Second Ward.

I’ve lived in the area for about four years myself, and I would agree with this for the most part. The one caveat I will add is that (I think) the recognized boundary of the Second Ward ends at Lockwood, whereas the East End refers to the area well beyond that. So, there is some overlap but the names aren’t necessarily interchangeable.

Originally posted by intencity77, November 26,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, thedistrict84 said:

I’ve lived in the area for about four years myself, and I would agree with this for the most part. The one caveat I will add is that (I think) the recognized boundary of the Second Ward ends at Lockwood, whereas the East End refers to the area well beyond that. So, there is some overlap but the names aren’t necessarily interchangeable.

The “Greater East End” is an umbrella term that overlays the area of Second Ward and the neighborhoods of Pecan Park, Magnolia Park, Lawndale/Wayside, Eastwood and Central Park. The East End Management District office is actually located at 3211 Harrisburg near Sampson, well outside and west of the “Lockwood boundary”. But I do agree that you are correct on the Second Ward neighborhood boundary ending at Lockwood. 

Originally posted by downtownian, November 26,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:23 AM, intencity77 said:

The “Greater East End” is an umbrella term that overlays the area of Second Ward and the neighborhoods of Pecan Park, Magnolia Park, Lawndale/Wayside, Eastwood and Central Park. The East End Management District office is actually located at 3211 Harrisburg near Sampson, well outside and west of the “Lockwood boundary”. But I do agree that you are correct on the Second Ward neighborhood boundary ending at Lockwood. 

The Second Ward goes past Lockwood to Terminal

HoustonWards1920.jpg

Originally posted by intencity77, November 26,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:30 PM, downtownian said:

The Second Ward goes past Lockwood to Terminal

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/HoustonWards1920.jpg

Of course, when technically speaking, but in modern times I’ve rarely heard the neighborhood north of Harrisburg and east of Lockwood referred to as Second Ward. That area usually goes by Central Park. It’s no wonder the EaDo name is creeping in all over the East End, everyone seems to have a different name for the same neighborhood. Lol. 

Originally posted by thedistrict84, November 26,  2018 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:23 AM, intencity77 said:

I completely agree with you. I didn’t mean that the two areas are delineated by Lockwood. I meant that the East End includes Second Ward but extends well beyond that to include the other neighborhoods and areas you mentioned—hence the “overlap” comment. 

I probably could have been a bit clearer with my statement. My apologies.

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, March 11,  2019 in the thread for 2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment.

R3aOl82.jpg
Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

• Like 1