Retail Center At 1902 Washington Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created December 29, 2015. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly).  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is here.

Mods, please don't move this to the Heights forum where all of my Washington Corridor posts were moved to. Mods, also don't sneak and move this thread and all the others for Washington Corridor, Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, and Independence Heights to the Heights forum once all the previous content is reposted as y'all have done in the last two weeks and continue to do. This is NOT in the Heights and it's not part of the Greater Heights area in any way. This is in the Washington Corridor area, an area that as suggested and advocated for previously needs its own forum because there is lots of development happening here, much spurred by the Sawyer Yards and Buffalo Heights developments. That in itself usually merits the creation for a new neighborhood forum. Until then, posts for those neighborhoods should remain in the forum for "Other Neighbohoods" has is done with other threads that don't have a dedicated neighborhood or area of town forum.Thanks.

Swamplot is reporting that the old Drake nightclub at 1902 Washington Ave (was also The Gatsby and The Mark in recent years, was also Olive's Drug Store in late 1800's or early 1900's) is transforming into a retail space. One of the proposed tenants seem to include Tacodeli out of Austin.

Also included in the center according the marketing brochure is a high end barbershop, brewpub and ramen restaurant.

From Swamplot:

Yet another fast-casual semi-gourmet taco chain from north of town appears to be spreading saucy tendrils into the 610 Loop — Austin-based Tacodeli, which announced intent to expand to Houston and Dallas last year, is now appearing in renderings and marketing plans of Lovett Commercial’s site at 1902 Washington Ave., across the street from upscale cocktail bar Julep and just west of cow-to-table butcher shop and steakhouse B&B Butchers. Tacodeli will be jostling against Torchy’s Tacos (also an Austin export), Fuzzy’s Taco’s (a Dallas chain currently working its way down through the north Houston ‘burbs to West Gray and Post Oak), and Velvet Taco (another Dallas chain) in the rush to claim territory in the local tacoscape, already thick with native Hous-Tex-Mex options.

Tacodeli’s new spot is the former home of once-chandeliered nightclub The Drake, now the site of several elaborate grafitti murals. The Drake faced scrutiny in 2012 from Parroquia de San Esteban, a Catholic church located immediately west across White St., for allegedly generating the scandalous trash appearing on the church’s property, including beer bottles, condoms, dirty needles, and obscene fliers.

http://swamplot.com/citywide-wave-of-taco-colonization-will-continue-with-occupation-of-former-drake-nightclub-in-sawyer-heights/2015-12-29/

This was in the previous thread for 1902 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by asubrt, December 30, 2015 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Tacodeli is really really good. Better than Torchy's and Velvet in my opinion (haven't had Fuzzy before). Definitely very excited about this one. Now I have basically no reason to go to Austin anymore now that this, Torchy's, Hopdoddy, and Pluckers are here.

This was in the previous thread for 1902 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 4, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

On 12/29/2015 at 11:42 PM, asubrt said:

Tacodeli is really really good. Better than Torchy's and Velvet in my opinion (haven't had Fuzzy before). Definitely very excited about this one. Now I have basically no reason to go to Austin anymore now that this, Torchy's, Hopdoddy, and Pluckers are here.

And Uchi and Juiceland.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 4, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

According to this post on Twitter, the brewpub at 1902 Washington Avenue will be Platypus Brewing.

sZiVcRQ.jpg

I couldn't find any information about it other than it's owned by Sean Michael Hanrahan, Rachna Saluja Hanrahan and Morgan Hughes.

A blurb from Swamplot:

Other beer endeavors currently fermenting in and around the Greater Heights area include Platypus Brewpub (preparing to slip in behind the Tacodeli and upscale barbershop on their way to Washington Ave)

More about the Platypus Brewing brewpub at 1902 Washington Avenue.

According to this tweet it will be an Australian brewpub:

More about Platypus Brewing, the brewpub w/ an Aussie slant at 1902 Washington Ave http://facebook.com/platypusbrewingllc 

@chrisandrewsCDA

More information from Platypus Brewing at 1902 Washington Avenue, Ste E, from Facebook:

Craft brewery. Brewed with Texan heart and Australian soul. Artisian small bites menu, views to downtown, outdoor patio and brewery tours. Coming in 2016!

Did some digging on my own and came across this job posting:

We are searching for a Head Brewer to join the team as an integral part of establishing and growing Platypus Brewing, a new brewery and tap room in the historic Houston Heights planned to open mid-2016 (with earlier on-boarding of the Head Brewer). This is a key leadership role for an experienced brewer to join this exciting new brand and take ownership for driving innovation and growth. We have the location, the funding and the business experience – we just need you!

Platypus Brewing aims to create a powerful brand based on quality hand crafted beer which will complement and improve the emerging craft beer industry in Houston. Platypus Brewing will be a destination for people who enjoy hand crafted beer in a distinctly Australian atmosphere.
Brewed with Texan heart and Australian soul

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, March 28, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Work on Platypus Brewing may be starting soon (1902 Washington Avenue, Suite E):

Platypus Brewing coming 2016 #platypusbrewing #houston #texascraftbeer #australiancraftbeer 
4PGTDFe.jpg
[Photo from Platypus Brewing's Instagram]

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, March 31, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

More on Platypus Brewing opening at the redeveloped property on Washington Avenue:

From Eater Houston:

Platypus Brewing Will Bring Australian-Style Beers To Houston This Summer

Most Texans’ notion of Australian-style beer comes from those terrible Foster’s commercials, but a new brewpub coming to Houston could totally revolutionize your idea of the land down under’s beer scene.

Platypus Brewing, an Australian-style brewpub, will open at 1902 Washington Avenue in the coming months. The brewpub will feature house-brewed beers made with “the very best Australian, U.S. and European hops.” Those beers – no word yet on exactly what styles will be on offer – will be served in an adjacent taproom, which will also serve food crafted from “quality, local Texan ingredients.”

...Platypus Brewing has plans to open its doors at some point in Summer 2016.

http://houston.eater.com/2016/3/30/11329856/platypus-brewing-will-bring-australian-style-beers-to-houston-this

049q4A5.jpg

Originally posted by kbates2, March 31, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

I spent two weeks in Australia in December and didn't see a single Foster's anywhere.  Conspiracy.  I'm starting to think that Foster's isn't even really Australian for beer.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, April 1, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

On 3/31/2016 at 1:41 PM, LarryDierker said:

So they will be brewing Foster's?

On 3/31/2016 at 3:04 PM, kbates2 said:

I spent two weeks in Australia in December and didn't see a single Foster's anywhere.  Conspiracy.  I'm starting to think that Foster's isn't even really Australian for beer.

Doubt it but I'm interested to see if the brewpub will be completed by the summer. I have my doubts because there's a lot of work to be done in that warehouse.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 6, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

The high-end barbershop going in at 1902 Washington is In the Black.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 16, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Tacodeli has confirmed that it is opening at 1902 Washington Avenue:

From Eater Houston:

Rumors have swirled for at least a year about Tacodeli’s imminent arrival in Houston, and an announcement today confirms that the Austin-based taqueria will open its first Houston location at 1902 Washington Ave later this year.

For the uninitiated, Tacodeli, founded in 1999, is a fave among Austinites thanks to its scratch-made ingredients and super fast service. Many of the restaurant’s offerings are organic and locally-sourced, in addition to a solid menu of vegan and vegetarian options. Vegan tacos can be hard to come by in H-Town, but that will all soon change with the arrival of Tacodeli.

"I've been a huge fan of the Houston restaurant scene since I first started visiting the city back in the 80's! It is very exciting to know that we will finally be able to sling tacos in a city with some serious culinary heritage,” co-founder Roberto Espinosa said in a statement. "We are especially excited to be opening in a unique part of the city along Washington Avenue with great neighbors such as B&B Butchers, Julep, and soon-to-open Platypus Brewing in our building."

Tacodeli is currently planning for a Fall 2016 opening. Stay tuned for more details on its arrival.

http://houston.eater.com/2016/5/16/11683416/austin-tacodeli-is-headed-to-houston

From CultureMap :

Tacodeli, the popular Austin-based taco joint, has finally acknowledged that the rumors are true. It will open its first Houston location on Washington Avenue this fall. 

As noted above, Tacodeli will join Washington Avenue's thriving taco scene. In addition to traditional favorites like Laredo Taqueria and Tex-Mex staples like Molina's and El Tiempo, the area has recently added Dallas import Velvet Taco and will soon see the reborn brick and mortar location of La Macro. Still, Tacodeli's track record of success in Austin's competitive scene argues that it will do well in Houston, too.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-16-16-rumor-no-more-one-of-austins-favorite-taco-joints-coming-to-washington-ave/

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 16, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

New rendering of Tacodeli at 1902 Washington Ave, from CultureMap Houston article.

cGGJqvX.jpg

Originally posted by Mab, June 16, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/pic/dwnFeatures.aspx?webid=114 

includes 

Tacodeli

Platypus brewing

In the black

Goen Japanese Ramen

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 16, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

On 6/16/2016 at 1:26 PM, Mab said:

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/pic/dwnFeatures.aspx?webid=114 

WWqLOzj.jpg

includes 

Tacodeli

Platypus brewing

In the black

Goen Japanese Ramen

You are on it today @Mab.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 17, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

From Swamplot: 

Platypus and Friends Now Decorating Washington Ave Nesting Sites

Australo-Texan Platypus Brewing has been not-so-secretly secreting away a set of fermentation tanks in the back of the reforming nightclub complex at 1902 Washington Ave (at the corner with Silver St.). The brewpub is readying the northernmost segment of the structure; a tree-lined patio is planned at the corner of Silver and Center streets.

A permit to build out a barber shop called In the Black, shown above in suite E of the compound,was issued in April; per Lovett’s plans the shop looks to be facing Silver through at least one of the new and used holes between Platypus and the first Houston outpost of Austin taco colonist Tacodeli:

...The Washington-facing facade of Tacodeli is getting some work as well, and another corner patio is planned right at Washington and Silver

Here’s the nextdoor space previously marked up as a ramen shop — Lovett now labels the spot as Goen Japanese Ramen, and  a restaurant buildout permit was issued to Hiroshi Abe in April. The framework for the glassy front shown in previous renderings of the site seems to be in place

http://swamplot.com/platypus-and-friends-now-decorating-washington-ave-nesting-sites/2016-07-11/

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, July 17, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Construction progress photos from Swamplot article above.

p6RY08e.jpg

CE2eA69.jpg

H0OCqlq.jpg

xj8etUn.jpg

ti1GIQS.jpg

On 6/16/2016 at 2:28 PM, Angostura said:

Google turns up a Goen Japanese Ramen with 2 locations in the Philipines.

Not related I think.

From In the Know Houston:

Hold on to your chopsticks, noodle obsessives. Another ramen shop is on the way to Washington Avenue.

Newcomer Goen is opening soon at 1902 Washington Avenue. It will be the third ramen restaurant along the Washington Corridor, joining late night favorite Ninja Ramen and Seattle-based Samurai Noodle.

Real estate blog Swamplot first got wind of the new noodle offering after renderings for the Old Sixth Ward space surfaced last year. At the time, the only other indicator that pointed towards a noodle house was a site plan listing a nameless ramen eatery. However, recently updated site plans from Houston-based developer Lovett Commercial shows the name of the forthcoming restaurant as Goen.

Attempts to contact Goen for further details have been unsuccessful. Nevertheless, the restaurant’s website provides some hints.

According to the site, Goen will serve ramen and authentic Japanese fare, highlighting ingredients native to Japan as well as local and seasonal. The menu will include modern sushi and offer omakases prepared by Tokyo chefs specially trained in sushi. Additionally, there will be a dessert program under the direction of a purported renowned Japanese pastry chef.

Goen is one of three new restaurants opening at 1902 Washington Avenue, which sits next to B&B Butchers and across the street from bourbon bar Julep and soon-to-open Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken. Joining the ramen shop is Austin-based Tacodeli and Australian brewpub Platypus Brewing.

Earlier this year, Austin-based Tacodeli confirmed their entry into the Houston market after announcing expansion plans in 2014. Platypus Brewing will serve a wide range of Aussie suds including selections from their in-house brewery.

Look for Platypus Brewing to open later this year and Tacodeli in early 2017. Although there has been no response from Goen to requests for additional information, plus no visible signs of construction yet, expect to slurp steaming bowls of the Japanese noodle soup sometime next year.

http://intheknowhouston.com/goen-ramen-washington-avenue/

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, August  28, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Posted to Facebook earlier this month from Platypus Brewery:

Houston....we have light! Washington Ave looks a little brighter today.
CTsQUBn.jpg

Wow...talk about Texan heart and Australian soul! We are humbled by your help and support. Thank you to our friends, family and especially Houston Lonestars Australian Football Club for the working bee today
MPkEqAZ.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 3, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

On 5/6/2016 at 6:15 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The high-end barbershop going in at 1902 Washington is In the Black.

Website for In the Black at 1902 Washington Avenue
http://www.intheblackbarbers.com/

On Instagram too at http://instagram.com/intheblackbarbers

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 3, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Sign going up at In the Black Barbers at 1902 Washington Avenue. Picture from Houston Sign Maker.
KthvOXJ.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 16, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Construction has begun on Tacodeli on Washington Avenue. From Tacodeli Houston's Facebook:

Let the Houston construction begin! 

HNxkgIJ.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 16, 2016 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

Construction inside In the Black at 1902 Washington Avenue
QHAwpus.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1370672846327552&set=a.230296010365247.58112.100001545489217

Tacodeli is open at 1902 Washington Avenue

From Eater Houston:

J5UX6sT.jpg

DZHtjYk.jpg

http://houston.eater.com/2017/4/12/15272870/tacodeli-houston-washington-ave-photos

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 21, 2017 in the thread for 1902 Washington Ave.

About the restaurant next to Tacodeli:

The Japanese restaurant next door to Tacodeli on Washington Ave is named Kukuri rather than Goen.
http://kukuri-uzu.com/

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/859419377317408768

Kukuri is opening at 1902 Washington Avenue, Unit C. There's a Facebook page for it:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/houstonkukuri/

From Facebook:
Brand new Japanese restaurant will open very soon! Michelin star Sushi chef Shimao Ishikawa from NY city will offer finest Sushi to you!

We will create love in this calm and warm restaurant. Michelin star chef Ishikawa offers the finest sushi and our famous celebrity chefs provide authentic Japanese cuisine using seasonal fresh ingredients with Kappo style. Food, fish, vegetables, even seasoning, every time it changes. It is based on Japanese tradition and Japanese hospitality OMOTENASHI.