Washington Central 4003 & 4015 Washington Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by  CrockpotandGravel, December 25, 2017 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Good riddance.

I think what could be replacing 4003 Washington and/or 4011 Washington is a co-working space, AgileTurf. There is no address onthe website but their search engine summary has this opening on Washington Ave. The Loopnet listing did list this as office space, so maybe?

http://agileturf.com/

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by  Visitor, December 25, 2017 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Its a Christmas miracle

Originally posted by skooljunkie, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Newquest marketing brochure for Washington Central

https://www.newquest.com/pdfs/WashingtonCentral.pdf

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

I'm about to punch a hold through my wall. What in the hell is that??? So you save a beautiful historic building and put it next to a parking lot strip center... I'm done...

Originally posted by Avossos, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Newquest - what a disappointment. Whoever runs the show over there needs to either focus on the suburbs or clean house on their urban team.

Originally posted by Visitor, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Well that is insanely disappointing. Washington needs a business district committee or guiding org. 

Here is to hoping they dont lease up and just give up. I'd rather it stay an empty lot with hope for the future. 

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

This goes back to me asking why in the hell is our city approving this??? Why are they allowing a development like that when all they've been TALKING about is walkable neighborhoods???

https://www.newquest.com/contact/ I voiced my opinion

Originally posted by Angostura, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:55 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

This goes back to me asking why in the hell is our city approving this??? Why are they allowing a development like that when all they've been TALKING about is walkable neighborhoods???

Approve it? They practically require it.

People are far more likely to call their council member to complain about people parking on their street than about shit architecture and site layout.

Originally posted by Avossos, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:02 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wont let me submit my comments....here they were in case anyone wants to help...

I have an issue with a proposal you have for your Washington ave project. There has been much news of good development around the city. As Washington ave is becoming a high mixed use and walk-able environment, your proposal - if completed - would be detrimental to the overall corridor. 

https://www.newquest.com/pdfs/WashingtonCentral.pdf

What is expected here, as many other developments in the area have done, is a storefront along the ROW. Please see the Shepard / Durham & Washington Ave area. All *NEW* developments front the sidewalk with parking in the rear. They usually hold parking in the back. Please reference super-neighborhood 22 for reference in any concerns here. They will affirm and help with approvals needed for a walk able development.

Last, but not least, these street fronting developments absolutely pull a higher rent per sq foot, especially in urban areas with urban consumers. I highly recommend you all re-evaluate this proposal for the best interest of your company, and your community.

Originally posted by Visitor, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:02 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I emailed the listing contact from the flier my thoughts. Not nearly as well put as Avossos though. 

I did, however, cite 1818 Washington as the type of development that needs to be happening in the corridor.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, skooljunkie said:

More on the Washington Central development in Houston at 4003 Washington Avenue and 4015 Washington Avenue from NewQuest:

Site Specifics:

Approx. 1  acre development on Washington Ave. with two unique availabilities.

4003 Washington Avenue is an historic 1930’s two-story brick building occupying approx. 4,200 SF.

This building will be remodeled and modernized including: 

• a ‘white-wash exterior’ applied to the current red brick 

• larger windows for extra visibility and light throughout 

• an outdoor common seating area leading up to  building’s main entrance 

• bike racks for customers convenience.

Can lease up to   two (2) tenants, a tenant per floor (2,100 SF)

4015 Washington Avenue will be a new 9,040 SF retail building. This building will benefit from high end elevations and features along with accessible and extra parking. Great Washington Avenue visibility and presence. Can subdivide.  Centrally Located: This center is centrally and conveniently located right on Washington Avenue, Washington Central is in the heart of an urban lifestyle and community where walkability and convenience are of utmost importance. Five minutes from Downtown and two miles from River Oaks, this is a major retail, restaurant, medical, fitness region and more for those urban residents that seek both an outdoor and city life. Furthermore, a new HEB grocery store and 232 new urban apartment complex will open all within walking distance from this site!

eiIlzEd.jpg

9ByaAng.jpg

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 22,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

A waste of an opportunity. A brick parking garage behind the building would have been the way to go. The proposed parking in the front of the demolished La Roux space is an eyesore. Is there a requirement for street-facing surface parking for this lot?

• The title was changed to Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave | Washington Corridor

Originally posted by skooljunkie, September 14,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Small miracles...looks like parking is in the back now. Go check out the link now. 

Originally posted by Avossos, September 14,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 9/14/2018 at 4:17 PM, skooljunkie said:

Small miracles...looks like parking is in the back now. Go check out the link now. 

Yesssssssssssss

Originally posted by Visitor September 15,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Outstanding change if it comes to fruition!

Originally posted by kennyc05, September 15,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

I wonder what made them change the parking for the better?

Originally posted by Visitor, September 16,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:13 PM, kennyc05 said:

I wonder what made them change the parking for the better?

I'd like to think it was my rather blunt email when they announced the building, but I too would be interested to learn what actually incentivized them to change.

• Like 1

Originally posted bykennyc05, September 16,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 9/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, Visitor said:

I'd like to think it was my rather blunt email when they announced the building, but I too would be interested to learn what actually incentivized them to change.

Lol 

Originally posted Angostura, September 17,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Aspect ratio on the flyer is a little funky, but:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/uploads/monthly_2018_09/5b9f9f8678145_WashCentral.png.2178225aefc2db7ea9e895d66431af44.png

Originally posted urbanize713, September 19,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

It would be great if they proceeded with this plan instead! Official change?

Originally posted Visitor, September 19,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Seems like this is the new plan.  I followed up my negative email with a positive one and got a response that they too were were happy with the design change. 

Leasing will determine if this gets built anytime soon...

Originally posted New2Houston, October 6,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

What happened to the La Roux club that was there before? It didn't look as bad as everyone says.

In the new plans, I'm glad to see the parking lot behind the building so that this part of the Washington is more pedestrian friendly!

Originally posted Visitor, October 6,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:54 PM, New2Houston said:

What happened to the La Roux club that was there before? It didn't look as bad as everyone says.

In the new plans, I'm glad to see the parking lot behind the building so that this part of the Washington is more pedestrian friendly!

That half-ass monstrosity was torn down a while back. :)

Originally posted New2Houston, October 6,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:10 PM, Visitor said:

That half-ass monstrosity was torn down a while back. :)

Lol, was it that ugly? Or just a bad fit for the neighborhood with the rowdy crowd it brought in?

I'm new to the area. It seems the further west I go on Washington, the louder it gets at night. I have to drive carefully to avoid a bunch of drunk people walking in the middle of the street 😃

Originally posted Visitor, October 6,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

In my opinion it just wasn't professionally done from a construction perspective. Looked like an amateur job.  From a clientele perspective, it wasn't as bad as the "The House" or the ever changing building next to The House. 

There was a shooting in the parking lot of LaRoux, some dumbass kids tried to rob an employee after hours and he shot at them. 

All in all this new development will look better and likely house better tenants. My .02

Originally posted skooljunkie, October 7,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

Oh man hahaha, it took three years (2014-2016) to build that simple metal box they called La Roux. They opened with an expired liquor license and never had it renewed. TABC didn't even know they were  operating in early 2017 from the sound of it. There was no sign.  During the 2017 Superbowl, they taped up six black posterboards with the letters L A R O U X. The letters slowly fell to the ground. It was a literal trash dump---after a while, they stopped paying for trash service so heaps of garbage would pile up behind the metal box. Many 311 requests were made...soon after, a new owner bought the block; the 3-year-old box was swiftly demolished. The Saturday night gunshots stopped and were never heard again. So, yeah, dump da-da dump, dump, dump. 

Originally posted j_cuevas713, October 8,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

You're joking right? 

Originally posted New2Houston, October 8,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:07 PM, Visitor said:

In my opinion it just wasn't professionally done from a construction perspective. Looked like an amateur job.  From a clientele perspective, it wasn't as bad as the "The House" or the ever changing building next to The House. 

There was a shooting in the parking lot of LaRoux, some dumbass kids tried to rob an employee after hours and he shot at them. 

All in all this new development will look better and likely house better tenants. My .02

On 10/6/2018 at 7:59 PM, skooljunkie said:

Oh man hahaha, it took three years (2014-2016) to build that simple metal box they called La Roux. They opened with an expired liquor license and never had it renewed. TABC didn't even know they were  operating in early 2017 from the sound of it. There was no sign.  During the 2017 Superbowl, they taped up six black posterboards with the letters L A R O U X. The letters slowly fell to the ground. It was a literal trash dump---after a while, they stopped paying for trash service so heaps of garbage would pile up behind the metal box. Many 311 requests were made...soon after, a new owner bought the block; the 3-year-old box was swiftly demolished. The Saturday night gunshots stopped and were never heard again. So, yeah, dump da-da dump, dump, dump. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:23 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

You're joking right? 

No, I'm not joking. I am new to Houston and only moved here a little over a year ago. I am only basing it on the pictures earlier in the thread since I never saw the place in person.

If it's anything like Visitor or skooljunkie said, then good riddance. We don't need anymore unsafe places where people get shot at night. Those guys sound like a crazy bunch for opening without a liquor license and letting garbage pile up.

I hope that the new developer builds an appealing shopping center with great additions for the neighborhood. No more "amateur jobs" or crappy buildings please!

Originally posted InTheLoopFromNYC, October 8,  2018 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

It looked every bit as bad as everyone says and worse! Adding insult to injury, it took years to never complete -- they were supposed to open a lounge in the brick building, which of course never happened. The large empty lot for parking was a mess and the owners stored their old junkers there. The best was towards the end when they attempted to plant trees on the Washington Ave side -- they couldn't even get that right and those died within weeks. Hopefully the rehab of the brick building and the redesigned strip center with the parking relocated to the rear gets built and we can forget about this forever!