Washington Central 4003 & 4015 Washington Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created January 20, 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link  will be posted soon.

Mods, please don't move this to the Heights forum where all of my Washington Corridor posts were moved to. Mods, also don't sneak and move this thread and all the others for Washington Corridor, Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, and Independence Heights to the Heights forum once all the previous content is reposted as y'all have done in the last two weeks and continue to do. This is NOT in the Heights and it's not part of the Greater Heights area in any way. This is in the Washington Corridor area, an area that as suggested and advocated for previously needs its own forum because there is lots of development happening here, much spurred by the Sawyer Yards and Buffalo Heights developments. That in itself usually merits the creation for a new neighborhood forum. Until then, posts for those neighborhoods should remain in the forum for "Other Neighbohoods" has is done with other threads that don't have a dedicated neighborhood or area of town forum.Thanks.

Once home to  Guadalajara Bakery, the 4003 Washington Avenue property, and the adjacent lot next to it at 4011 Washington Avenue (former car lot) is expected to open as a club named La Roux. Construction has been on going for a year or two.

hCO0iqP.jpg
[Photo: Eater Houston]

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted  January 20, 2016 in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From the Another Bar on Washington thread in 2014:

On 4/20/2014 at 4:55 PM, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

Updated photos from what used to be the Guadalajara Bakery on Washington and Leverkuhn... Looks like they're doing a nice renovation job on the old building but not sure what to say about the new structure! If I remember correctly, the old building will be a restaurant/lounge and the new one is slated to be a club. The old variance request sign mentioned Laroux.

NQdrBo5.jpg

Z2lyTt6.jpg

cT4uosI.jpg

c3Hk1qX.jpg

a3RnHUd.jpg

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/18093-another-bar-on-washington/?do=findComment&comment=457225

On 4/20/2014 at 8:04 PM, Texasota said:

Hm. That does look like a nice renovation job. The windowless black box next to it does look ...strange. 

I actually like it, but, this being Washington, I can't imagine ill like what they actually put in there.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/18093-another-bar-on-washington/?do=findComment&comment=457238

This was originally posted  January 20, 2016 in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From a 2013 blog posting on Swamplot:

Bar Takes Old Guadalajara Spot on Washington

A reader has spotted some signs hanging on the fence outside 4003 Washington near Leverkuhn, where the Guadalajara Bakery used to be: The slick one in the photo above for La Roux, and another just a few feet away indicating that La Roux has applied to sell alcohol. County records show that the 1930 4,368-sq.-ft. building at 4003 Washington and 2 nearby vacant lots — the 5,100-sq.-ft. one at 4011 Washington, and the 28,045-sq.-ft. one at 4015 Washington — are all owned by Kalan Properties.

The block is just west of the retail center at 3939 Washington, where Pedestrian Pete and city planner Peter Park once stood to debate the impact of guy wires on walkability.

CZwTOMh.jpg

vpYKMhh.jpg

More photos of construction from La Roux uploaded in January of 2014:

E5t7rwa.jpg

Fefrvil.jpg

0vcFGhG.jpg

Hoiwf3A.jpg%22

Photos of construction uploaded in March of 2014 by La Roux:

Well, frame is up, now it's time for trim. La Roux will be fully up by next weekend. Get ready everyone!!
La Roux, Houston's most upscale venue, coming summer 2014!!!!!!

Bbquben.jpg

vBVQHkD.jpg

SjMwylD.jpg

sYGjaQL.jpg

From 2014 on Eater Houston:

...A few blocks down on the corner of Washington Avenue and Leverkuhn is Kolodziej's other concepts: Black Orchid, a lounge on 4003 Washington Ave and La Roux, a nightclub next door at 4011 Washington Ave, first reported by Swamplot two years ago. Sanguinetti has also been hired as the corporate chef who will also over see the menu development at Black Orchid.

While Commonwealth will be more food heavy, Black Orchid will feature a craft cocktails and wine in a 55 seating setting. Andrew Grala, formerly of Reserve 101 was tapped to construct the cocktail program. The lounge will offer a sophisticated menu with high-end plating tapa-style offerings. Additionally, Sanguinetti will use the lounge as his culinary playground serving a chef-driven tasting menu during dinner hours. A patio will connect adjoining nightclub, La Roux. Black Orchid's anticipated soft opening is January.

Along with La Roux, both restaurants will open late serving dinner until 11 p.m. and bar menus until 2 a.m. daily.

http://houston.eater.com/2014/12/15/7396455/meet-commonwealth-tqlas-replacement-on-washington-ave

Forthcoming Black Orchid on 4003 Washington Ave.

k8gTcGO.jpg

Forthcoming Black Orchid and La Roux on 4003 Washington Ave.
17STyjG.jpg

La Roux on 4011 Washington Ave.

4s23ffk.jpg

XkpywpS.jpg

La Roux at 4011 Washington Ave is on track to open in Rice Military according to this tweet shared on Twitter today:

Although @CWealthHouston is gone, it appears sister concept La Roux (4011 Washington Ave) is still moving forward http://fb.com/larouxhouston2016 

They were referring to La Roux's Facebook account, freshly created this week. There's no mention of Black Orchid. La Roux may be opening in January or February.

Here are pictures from inside:

EoWUkZt.jpg

yiwNcnp.jpg

This was in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by s3mh, January 20, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

Back lit bars are pretty much doucherocket fly paper.  Just when you thought Washington Ave. was starting to grow up.

This was in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 21, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

On 1/20/2016 at 5:06 PM, s3mh said:

Back lit bars are pretty much doucherocket fly paper.

Pretty much. I'd like to see the newer part of the construction and the renovations inside.

This was in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by zstrater86, January 21, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

This is going to be hell on the neighborhood behind it. Parking is already bad at night because of The House bar.  Hopefully it is a different crowd than The House, which has increased crime and noise levels substantially since it converted from The Drinkery last year.  I live a few blocks away and the whole area is looking into Residential Permit Parking only for many of the streets closest to Washington.

This was in the previous thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Visitor, January 21, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

On 1/21/2016 at 9:28 AM, zstrater86 said:

This is going to be hell on the neighborhood behind it. Parking is already bad at night because of The House bar.  Hopefully it is a different crowd than The House, which has increased crime and noise levels substantially since it converted from The Drinkery last year.  I live a few blocks away and the whole area is looking into Residential Permit Parking only for many of the streets closest to Washington.

Agreed, I also live about a block away from The House and gave a try a couple of times.  Not exactly the best crowd...  A night club in that location doesn't exactly incite confidence that it will get better.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 21, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

On 1/21/2016 at 9:28 AM, zstrater86 said:

I agree. La Roux is suppose to be an ultra luxury lounge according to Facebook, so it's going for the VirSi and Cle crowd. It wouldn't shock me if this doesn't last long. The kind of crowd they want go to these type of places in River Oaks, Downtown and Midtown.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 23, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

From Facebook yesterday, a picture of the upstairs portion of La Roux at 4011 Washington Avenue (4011 Washington Ave.) in Houston:

Q3dNwk6.jpg%22

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, January 27, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

From JMG magazine:

La Roux on Washington Opens Soon

“It’s not Vegas, it’s Houston.” La Roux is a new nightclub that will be opening soon, and is already defining itself as venue that won’t rely on “out of town” comparisons to draw in guests. Instead, the 10,000 sq. ft. venue is backed by a unique design, a familiar address and nightlife heavyweights to fill up the guest list.

Tucked away at 4011 Washington Avenue, La Roux was designed by Thomas Kolodziej (Commonwealth Restaurant). It’s a two-level venue with a spacious first level for mingling and dancing, a mezzanine-styled second level, posh VIP sections and a state-of-the-art lighting and sound system. And with the spring time right around the corner, La Roux will offer a spacious patio with its own service bar.

Behind the scenes at La Roux are familiar names in Houston’s hospitality industry. The management team at La Roux is led by Adam Guzman, formerly of Baker St. Pub & Grill and Local Pour. The other partners include Albert Rowan (Commonwealth Restaurant) and George Salas (Xtreme Nitelife). It’s a team that’s merging together years of food and beverage, and nightlife expertise to give La Roux the premier launch you’d expect.

“La Roux is not like Vegas, New York, LA or Miami,” said Kolodziej. “it is a concept of its own, born and raised here in Houston.”

La Roux will be opening soon, and you can stay connected by visiting Facebook.com/LarouxHouston2016.

http://jmgmags.com/la-roux-on-washington/

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, January 27, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

The owner(s) must have really deep pockets or be strapped for cash -- this project has been dragging going on at least a third year now. Skyscrapers have risen faster! The many times I've been by the site, I note small work crews or no activity at all. The brick facade on the original building was repaired and cleaned over a year ago and now has some graffiti and a crumbling section by the front door. Glass was installed, some has since broken and was boarded up. Strange project and with the lack of progress it continues to be an eyesore! I suppose the prospect of the thing finally being completed is better than the original dilapidated state of the former Guadalajara Bakery after it closed. Fingers crossed!

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, February 6, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

On 1/27/2016 at 11:14 AM, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

The owner(s) must have really deep pockets or be strapped for cash -- this project has been dragging going on at least a third year now. Skyscrapers have risen faster! The many times I've been by the site, I note small work crews or no activity at all. The brick facade on the original building was repaired and cleaned over a year ago and now has some graffiti and a crumbling section by the front door. Glass was installed, some has since broken and was boarded up. Strange project and with the lack of progress it continues to be an eyesore! I suppose the prospect of the thing finally being completed is better than the original dilapidated state of the former Guadalajara Bakery after it closed. Fingers crossed!

The owners are club owners and club promoters. I'm not a fan of the addition built to the brick building. It's tacky and ugly.

It's opening in less than two weeks, says a recent update on Facebook (no update on Black Orchid Boutique Gastro Lounge at 4003 Washington Avenue):

We're excited to be finally open on Wednesday, Feb 17th!

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, February 8, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

I'll believe the Feb 17th date when I see it! Actually the site says a soft opening, so that will excuse the sorry state of this site for even longer. They've been preparing to pour concrete for what seems like weeks now! I guess the ugly addition will be La Roux and the refurbished older building will be Black Orchid Boutique Gastro Lounge (a tad pretentious!?!)... It would be a nice gesture to the neighborhood if they cleaned up their lot -- the decrepit, and likely unoccupied, RV on the southwest corner, not to mention everything else that has been dumped there, has been an eyesore forever. Doesn't bode well for what their attitude will be once the likely "DB" club opens! Sense cynicism? 

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, February 10, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

Yes, Black Orchid is in the brick building Guadalajara Bakery occupied. The add-on is an eyesore and the club won't last. It would have been nice if a complimentary building was erected instead of this tacky mess. I saw pictures of the renovations inside the brick building portion, Black Orchid, and it's not bad in my opinion.

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, February 19, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

Looks like La Roux made their "soft opening" on 2/18 despite the exteriors/landscaping still unfinished.

(Photos were included in the original post, but since they were added as attachments, the photos were removed when a mod deleted all threads started by me & all of my other content)

Originally posted by skooljunkie, February 19, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave..

They sure did...with an alleged lingerie competition to boot! I was lulled by the muffled thumpa-thumpa of Benny Benassi a few blocks away. For years I've gone to bed in absolute silence. It was somewhat strange hearing faint city noises late at night. For the last 2 days, they've put more effort into the club portion than they have in the last 2.5 years of construction. I like how they set what looks to be huge Magnolia trees on the ground hours before the doors opened but didn't cover the roots with topsoil. It's quite comical watching this go up. It could have been completed in 2013 if they would have been investing that kind of time all along.

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, February 23, 2016 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

On 2/19/2016 at 1:55 PM, skooljunkie said:

They sure did...with an alleged lingerie competition to boot! I was lulled by the muffled thumpa-thumpa of Benny Benassi a few blocks away. For years I've gone to bed in absolute silence. It was somewhat strange hearing faint city noises late at night. For the last 2 days, they've put more effort into the club portion than they have in the last 2.5 years of construction. I like how they set what looks to be huge Magnolia trees on the ground hours before the doors opened but didn't cover the roots with topsoil. It's quite comical watching this go up. It could have been completed in 2013 if they would have been investing that kind of time all along.

Yep skooljunkie, agreed, a complete amateur act. No worries, it will be out of business before no time, hopefully repurposed into something better. On the club front, the new Concrete Cowboy further west on Washington actually looks pretty impressive -- spent some serious cash on this place and it shows! That team will also be building out Clutch Bar across the street. 

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, September 22, 2017 in the thread for Washington Central | 4003 Washington Ave & 4015 Washington Ave.

And so the saga continues all these years later... Looks like Laroux and the planned "gastro-lounge" at 4011 Washington, have officially bitten the dust! Good riddance -- this was a complete amateur act over the years they took not bringing the redevelopment to fruition! Look at the high-quality results with such projects as Urban Eats, B&B Butchers, Platypus et al, or the Clutch Bar and Concrete Cowboy to see how it should be done! The Laroux guys were either underfunded, inexperienced and/or didn't give a damn/in it for a quick buck with their lingerie shows! Hopefully, a group that knows what they're doing will come along and resuscitate this eyesore and the parking lot they were using as a junkyard!

As a reminder, here's the original HAIF post on this subject dating to 9/2013!

http://swamplot.com/bar-takes-old-guadalajara-spot-on-washington/2013-09-17/

This was in the previous thread for 5701 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, October 30, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:54 PM, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

And so the saga continues all these years later... Looks like Laroux and the planned "gastro-lounge" at 4011 Washington, have officially bitten the dust! Good riddance -- this was a complete amateur act over the years they took not bringing the redevelopment to fruition! Look at the high-quality results with such projects as Urban Eats, B&B Butchers, Platypus et al, or the Clutch Bar and Concrete Cowboy to see how it should be done! The Laroux guys were either underfunded, inexperienced and/or didn't give a damn/in it for a quick buck with their lingerie shows! Hopefully, a group that knows what they're doing will come along and resuscitate this eyesore and the parking lot they were using as a junkyard!

As a reminder, here's the original HAIF post on this subject dating to 9/2013!

http://swamplot.com/bar-takes-old-guadalajara-spot-on-washington/2013-09-17/

The former Guadalajara Bakery at 4003 Washington Ave, that was under construction for the longest to become Black Orchid (never opened), will become office spaces. The listing implies more renovations are coming. Maybe they'll tear down what was La Roux next door at 4011 Washington Ave. The building the owner erected as La Roux is hideous.

Here's a new listing from Loopnet:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4003-Washington-Ave-Houston-TX/9722771/

Original 1930 brick structure set to undergo a major renovation as part of a re-development of the 39,040 SF multi-tenant site.

zoEqDDo.jpg

This was in the previous thread for 5701 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Visitor, December 14, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Demo permit issued for 4011 Washington per swamplot. Hope its a full tear down of that monstrosity save the old brick building. 

Would love to see that whole lot developed along the street frontage  with similar-styled buildings to the brick with parking in the rear. Houston's obsession with street front parking and complete disdain for aesthetics is mind boggling.  

Originally posted by skooljunkie, December 14, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

🙄 hooray!! Tear it down!!!! (But recycle/reuse the materials) To prevent more accidents here, Id like to see a corner of the old building removed. It’s really unsafe. 

Originally posted by Angostura, December 14, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 12/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, skooljunkie said:

🙄 hooray!! Tear it down!!!! (But recycle/reuse the materials) To prevent more accidents here, Id like to see a corner of the old building removed. It’s really unsafe. 

What? No! Keep the street frontage. If it were on the NW or SE corner, you could maybe make an argument for a visibility triangle, but nobody's turning from the sidestreet lane right next to the building.

Originally posted by skooljunkie, December 15, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

I’ll disagree. I turn at that corner daily. If this isn’t a visibility concern, what is? The building corner abuts the narrow sidewalk  that abuts the curb. Leverkuhn is extremely narrow here so you have to inch forward basically into Washington just to see cars heading east at 30-45 mph. I’ve witnessed quite a few accidents here. 

Originally posted by Texasota, December 16, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

It's not a great intersection for cars, but it has a lot of potential for people not in cars. I used to bike through this neighborhood regularly and used Leverkuhn. Also, if Washington is ever going to be genuinely pedestrian-friendly, this is the type of intersection that will help with that.

Honestly I think Washington should be reconfigured as a 3-lane road with parallel parking and curb bump-outs at intersections though. That would address any safety/visibility concerns and make the street more pleasant. 

Originally posted by IronTiger, December 18, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:07 PM, Angostura said:

What? No! Keep the street frontage. If it were on the NW or SE corner, you could maybe make an argument for a visibility triangle, but nobody's turning from the sidestreet lane right next to the building.

A replacement building can still have street frontage. The building is clearly very old but that means it's even more expensive to rehab. On the side street, you can see a window air conditioning unit, the zero setback means no space for any outdoor seating and no outward doors, and there's probably more work to bring it up to code. Interestingly, it looks like someone DID try to put money into it, as since Guadalajara Bakery and Tacos left, the facade was partially restored, and the windows upstairs were replaced (as of the 2015 Google Street View, you can still see the "PlyGem" stickers on the windows, they're probably still there).

Originally posted by  InTheLoopFromNYC, December 25, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

And alas, La Roux is no more... Good riddance! Let's hope for a quality renovation/expansion here!

(Photos were included in the original post, but since they were added as attachments, the photos were removed when a mod deleted all threads started by me & all of my other content)