Baker Institute Survey - Third Ward’s Needs, Challenges, And Resilience

Houston Third Ward’s needs, challenges and resilience highlighted in Baker Institute survey

The authors found that a majority of residents were “extremely” concerned with a loss of African American culture in the Third Ward. “Further, when residents were asked about the neighborhood conditions that concerned them, the construction of new townhomes was an ‘extreme’ concern for approximately 40% of respondents,” they wrote. “Our results suggest that new housing developments and the rising cost of living were major factors driving these anxieties.

I always think the focus on town homes is misplaced.  The lack of home ownership and rising property values is driving the affordability problem.  My area of Third Ward was mostly vacant lots when I moved into the neighborhood.  So the newly constructed town homes haven't directly displaced anyone in my immediate area.

• The title was changed to Third Ward’s Needs, Challenges, And Resilience Highlighted In Baker Institute Survey
  • The title was changed to Baker Institute Survey - Third Ward’s Needs, Challenges, And Resilience

Archived