Juergen Building At 6202 Washington Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created May 7, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link  will be posted soon.

Mods, please don't move this to the Heights forum where all of my other Washington Corridor and Rice Military posts were moved to this week. This is NOT in the Heights and it's not part of the Heights area. It's the Rice Military  area, an entirely different area that as suggested and advocated for previously needs its a Washington Corridor area forum. There is lots of development happening here, much spurred by the Sawyer Yards and Buffalo Heights developments, which usually merits the creation of a new neighborhood fourm. Thanks.

Juergen Building @ 6202 Washington Ave in Houston. 

Year Built:1932

HiNLx5Y.jpg

From Loopnet:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/6202-Washington-Ave-Houston-TX/4022908/

Q0DLpnM.jpg

13XDoaz.jpg

From Google Street View in 2017

XoJGyYW.jpg

zQP7B2r.jpg

From 2015:
kBFNtgr.jpg

This was originally posted  May 7, 2019 in the previous thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From this website, the back of the Juergen Building @ 6202 Washington Ave in Houston will become a bar.

A business named Memorial Trail Ice House may be planning to renovate the first floor or a portion of the first floor, or maybe the back building, or the back lot, or the back warehouse of 6202 Washington Ave.

wl7CSpk.jpg

From their website:

http://www.memorialtrailicehouse.com/
(archive link)

Memorial Park is one of Houston’s most well-known gems, the ideal place to ‘getaway’ in the center of the Texas's largest city.

And with this park comes a lifestyle; one involving a sense of being active, socializing, and embracing the beauty of nature. With the current and future revitalization efforts led by Memorial Park Conservancy, the time is now to capitalize on the Memorial Park lifestyle by ushering in a true community watering hole to this burgeoning area.

Memorial Trail Ice House (MTIH), a previously historic general store founded in 1932, will serve as a reminder and a nod to the rich history of Memorial Park, creating an oasis for friends to come together and escape the hustle and bustle of their daily lives.

This was originally posted  May 7, 2019 in the previous thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Renderings of Memorial Trail Ice House. This will open or may open at the Juergen Building @ 6202 Washington Ave in Houston

From the website:

ELfo4Rz.jpg

FKn3pXm.jpg

Mz76fvF.jpg

rIs4Mcm.jpg

sWhPP6C.jpg

Cqiywui.jpg

The website for Memorial Trail Ice House has a Fall 2019 opening date. 

This will open or may open at the Juergen Building @ 6202 Washington Ave in Houston.

This was in the previous thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Texasota May 7, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

neat

This was in the previous thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by mkultra25, May 8, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:26 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

wl7CSpk.jpg

Separated at birth?

GreatSign.jpg

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 8, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:05 PM, mkultra25 said:

Separated at birth?

GreatSign.jpg

I thought the logo looked similar to those old school national or state forest signs positioned at the entrances.  

Originally posted by nate4l1f3, May 8, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

I’ve always loved this building. I’ve always dreamed to myself what I would do with it if it was mine. Would be nice if it turned out more ice house and less douche house. 

Originally posted by mkultra25, May 9, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:48 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I thought the logo looked similar to those old school national or state forest signs positioned at the entrances.  

Yeah, there's definitely a resemblance there. There are some that are more of a true trapezoid (like the new ice house one), with two sides parallel, but many of the old national forest signs are like this one:

sign.jpg

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, August 13, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

Finally, Houston news wrote an article about this. Took them long enough. 

I don't like that CultureMap. Houston Business Journal, and Houston Chronicle don't cite HAIF as a source or as a forum that finds these property news.

I have a hunch CultureMap browses this forum. Some things posted here are posted days later on their website: like this bar, the Rice Village management changeover, the Dolce Vita building for sale, and so forth and so on.

From CultureMap yesterday:

The patio bar trend is coming to Rice Military. A veteran entrepreneur and a group of investors have big plans for the historic Juergen building at 6202 Washington Ave.

Memorial Trail Ice House will occupy the first floor of the building and an adjacent half-acre lot that will serve as its deck and patio. Co-founder John Shaeffer tells CultureMap that he's a neighborhood resident and Memorial Park regular who wants to bring something different to an area with nightlife options that are mostly dominated by high-energy clubs like Clutch, Kung Fu, and the recently-opened Axis & Alibi.

"This neighborhood has a lot of first-time homebuyers, people in their mid-30s and 40s, which I define as the ice house demographic," Shaeffer says. "As well as all the runners — every afternoon I’m one of them — we put on our shoes and go back to the park then walk home. What better place to stop and have a drink, meet some friends, that’s the idea."

Slated to open in February — in time for next spring's Houston Open at Memorial Park — Memorial Trail Ice House will feature many of the features that have made other patio bars like Kirby Ice House and Axelrad so successful. That starts with the spacious backyard, which will feature an outdoor deck that runs the length of Washington Avenue along with games like corn hole and a mix of seating options such as picnic tables and Adirondack chairs.

Roll-up doors will lead to the interior. Inside, patrons will find a massive, U-shaped bar with more than 50 seats. Photographs will pay homage to the building's history as home to various businesses such as a cafe, a butcher, and a barber shop.

...Securing the 10-year lease on the property didn't come easily. To convince the owners to grant it, Shaeffer and his co-founders demonstrated their commitment to the project by raising money through the Executive Association of Houston. Impressed by his presentation, the family not only signed the lease — they also invested in the business, Shaeffer says.

"I have a fascination with historic Houston. Not a lot of it still remains," he says. "This building caught my eye. We’re not doing anything to the exterior, just restoring it to its original beauty. The interior, we’re just retrofitting it into a cool bar."

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-12-19-memorial-trail-ice-house-new-bar-washington-avenue-juergen-building-john-shaeffer

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, August 24, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

Memorial Trail Ice House, the bar opening in the Juergen Building @ 6202 Washington Ave in Houston, had a NextSeed investment campaign last week. Houston Business Journal reports it surpassed its goal and is fully funded.

Nextseed campaign:
https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/memorial-trail-ice-house

From HBJ earlier this week:

Memorial Trail Ice House, an indoor/outdoor beer garden, is set to open late this year or early next year at 6202 Washington Ave., near Memorial Park. The bar sought funds through NextSeed, a Houston-based online investment platform, and raised its maximum target, $200,000, within seven hours of launching to the public, NextSeed said in a press release. 

The bar’s total cost will be over $1.6 million. Remaining funds are coming from a tenant improvement allowance, Class B equity investors, Class A equity contributions and a Small Business Administration loan from Plains Capital Bank. Memorial Trail Ice House will use 45 percent of the $200,000 for interior buildout, 45 percent for exterior buildout and 10 percent for cost of issuance, the NextSeed page stated. 

The bar will be 4,668 square feet, with a 10,000-square-foot outdoor patio and open space. G Building and Development is handling the construction, per NextSeed's release.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/08/19/ice-house-planned-for-memorial-park-area-raises.html 

Originally posted by HNathoo, August 24, 2019 in the thread for Juergen Building | 6202 Washington Avenue | Rice Military.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Memorial Trail Ice House, the bar opening in the Juergen Building @ 6202 Washington Ave in Houston, had a NextSeed investment campaign last week. Houston Business Journal reports it surpassed its goal and is fully funded.

Nextseed campaign:
https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/memorial-trail-ice-house

From HBJ earlier this week:

Memorial Trail Ice House, an indoor/outdoor beer garden, is set to open late this year or early next year at 6202 Washington Ave., near Memorial Park. The bar sought funds through NextSeed, a Houston-based online investment platform, and raised its maximum target, $200,000, within seven hours of launching to the public, NextSeed said in a press release. 

The bar’s total cost will be over $1.6 million. Remaining funds are coming from a tenant improvement allowance, Class B equity investors, Class A equity contributions and a Small Business Administration loan from Plains Capital Bank. Memorial Trail Ice House will use 45 percent of the $200,000 for interior buildout, 45 percent for exterior buildout and 10 percent for cost of issuance, the NextSeed page stated. 

The bar will be 4,668 square feet, with a 10,000-square-foot outdoor patio and open space. G Building and Development is handling the construction, per NextSeed's release.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/08/19/ice-house-planned-for-memorial-park-area-raises.html 

10% cost of issuance??

man that’s expensive money. 

• The title was changed to Juergen Building 6202 Washington Avenue
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

6wlo3TZ.jpg

After a mid-December soft opening, Memorial Trail Ice House is now officially open, according to a Dec. 29 announcement.

The new bar takes over the renovated 1932 Juergen building at 6202 Washington Ave., Houston, near Memorial Park in the Rice Military area.

“I have lived in the Rice Military neighborhood for five years now and absolutely fell in love with the Juergen building driving by it every single day,” John Shaeffer, CEO and founder of Memorial Trail Ice House, said in the announcement. “This area needed a spacious, outdoor icehouse that brings a different experience than the bars and clubs along Washington Avenue.”

The bar offers a 20,000-square-foot dog-friendly patio and daily food truck offerings.

Bar and beverage consultants Ladies of Libation, Kris Sowell and Laurie Harvey developed the bar program, including an exclusive cocktail, “Bee Someone,” a fizzy vodka lemonade.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/impacts/2020/12/29/new-memorial-trail-ice-house-offers-up-patio-destination-near-rice-military/?type=article&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter_article

• The title was changed to Juergen Building 6202 Washington Ave.
  • The title was changed to Juergen Building At 6202 Washington Ave.

Archived