Retail Center At 2600 Travis St.

EastMidtowner

Anyone know what's going in on McGowen and Travis where the noodle shop used to be? The sign says The Roof.... is that whole corner going to be one huge club? That's a prime location if the Camden SuperBlock gets developed.

From what I've read it's going to be a seafood restaurant on the first floor.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/4578633.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I walked by there on our way to the train station before the construction started quite a bit. It looks like they are updating the building. Looked pretty fancy. If I go by again soon I will try and get a pic of the sign.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 12 years later...

https://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Montrose-Tex-Mex-mainstay-El-Real-closes-14567849.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com

I am so sorry this happened.

in 2011 after the video rental store closed- I was so afraid this property would be torn down.  at the beginning of Montrose Monday’s it was sooooo crowded.

somehow tho it all faded. I’m sure his house catching fire and the messy divorce didn’t help things. I will miss Bryan Caswell in Montrose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Wowsa! I gotta say though the last few times I was there it was really slow...and i mean REALLY slow...and the food wasn't great...including just THIS past Saturday!!! A group of friends and I went there to eat during the Montrose Monster Pub Crawl... we were one of maybe 5 tables in the place at a time that should have been busier and at the end of the dinner, my friend Liz said:

wow how is this place even in business...it's dead in here and this was the worst food ever...

i had to immediately call her just now and ask her for lottery numbers ;)

ps...i will add that moving Little Bigs was another horrible decision he made...that place was booming in the old location at Montrose and Westheimer and then he moved it further down to a less convenient spot on Montrose (guess they wanted a bigger space to fit their success but they were successful mainly because of their location in my opinion) and the service and food quality also suffered for some reason.

Long live The Burger Joint though...love that place, so I am not complaining. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

https://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Montrose-Tex-Mex-mainstay-El-Real-closes-14567849.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com

I am so sorry this happened.

in 2011 after the video rental store closed- I was so afraid this property would be torn down.  at the beginning of Montrose Monday’s it was sooooo crowded.

somehow tho it all faded. I’m sure his house catching fire and the messy divorce didn’t help things. I will miss Bryan Caswell in Montrose.

I really hope this can now be turned back into a theater or concert venue like they did with the Heights Theater. Westheimer in Montrose is breathing new life, and this would be an excellent opportunity. Plus there really isn't a big time venue in the area. I'm sad to see El Real go. I liked going there as a nice place to get some decent Tex-Mex in an unique environment, but I rarely saw it full. I think someone can really bring new life into this place. With a lot of the latest revitalization efforts to old venues like this around town happening I'm looking forward to what happens next here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Former El Real employees protesting in front of Reef, demanding paychecks:

https://abc13.com/food/el-real-restaurant-in-montrose-suddenly-closes-/5653315/

wow that is sad indeed...

i hope brian is able to stand by his word.

I guess he really is going through a tough time and hope things look up for him soon...

as for the servers and workers, there are so many amazing restaurants opening that surely they will have new jobs asap! 

prayers for sure!

more details here too:

https://houston.eater.com/2019/10/28/20930556/el-real-montrose-closing-unpaid-servers

Edited by gene

22 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

So how many will just miss the neon sign if it goes? 

Me and the GF use to have Rita’s on the patio when the weather was nice but never really for anything else. 

The one good thing is that sign or some form of it has been there the whole time so they will probably keep the Marquee style sign and just change it to whatever the new place turns into...but keep that style etc as its iconic to the Montrose area!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, gene said:

The one good thing is that sign or some form of it has been there the whole time so they will probably keep the Marquee style sign and just change it to whatever the new place turns into...but keep that style etc as its iconic to the Montrose area!

Good! I shared this story with a buddy and his first comment was about the neon sign. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Luminare said:

I really hope this can now be turned back into a theater or concert venue like they did with the Heights Theater. Westheimer in Montrose is breathing new life, and this would be an excellent opportunity. Plus there really isn't a big time venue in the area. 

That would indeed be fantastic. I'm not sure what kinds of changes have been made to the building to repurpose it from a performing arts venue since it was the Tower, but hopefully they're not as irreversible as the ones Trader Joe's made when they took over the former Bookstop/Alabama. 

• Like 4

On 10/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, gene said:

I thought this was maybe where they were going to move Rich's when all the news broke out...it is two story and it HAS been a club before.................................... 🤪

Yes, I remember Decadance (and thank you for supplying the name - that was buried deep in my mind's Montrose files).
IIRC it also briefly served as a live-theater space (as did the former Boobie Rock across the street). 
I like the idea of it being a multifunctional event space but wonder if the revenue stream would cover expenses.

• Like 1

Just like the Alabama, the Tower's old floor was leveled with a new slab so it's basically just a big 2story space. You could put anything in there, though it would be difficult to return it to use as a movie theater because of the new floor. 

Montrose doesn't have a food hall yet...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah great ideas! I would be happy with a food hall, a theater or a club...and happily support them...

but yes please keep the facade/sign and just change El Real/Tex Mex to whatever the new name is! 

LOVE it so much...

(*image taken from El Real facebook)

Image may contain: night and outdoor

Edited by gene
  • Like 5