Universal Typewriter Shop At 4311 Emancipation Ave.

This thread was originally created June 6, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread is coming soon.

4311 Emancipation Ave in Third Ward, Houston. It's on the corner of Wheeler Ave.

xZpiJuL.jpg

eVrURwW.jpg

Street View 2015

Qvyqcph.jpg

Google Street View from 2017

76MRrDE.jpg

Google Maps photos from 2017 of Universal Typewriter Shop at 4311 Emancipation Ave.

5lLNYnB.jpg

VhFHPLe.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

This was originally posted  June 6, 2019 in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Channel 13, ABC 13 Houston did a feature on Universal Typewriter Shop ( 4331 Emancipation Ave ) in 2016. This was part of their Cool Spaces series:

https://abc13.com/realestate/cool-spaces-a-shop-from-another-era/1401193/

This was originally posted  June 6, 2019 in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The house where Universal Typewriter Shop operated at 4331 Emancipation Ave in Third Ward, Houston, is being converted into a restaurant.

I sent a tip to Swamplot about this in 2016 or 2017, but they never ran the story. The shop told the editor or Swamplot at the time that it wasn't closing (even though it was).

Recently, there has been discussions about the conversion into a restaurant on the forum:

From the 4420 Emancipation Ave thread:

On 5/18/2019 at 7:46 AM, trymahjong said:

When renovation started on the old Typewriter house as a high dollar restaurant ($40.00+ per plate)All neighbors vocally expressed their skepticism that another bait and switch was being perpetrated on them......roll out a concept of neighborhood eatery , to get all the permits required, then close and reopen as a bar.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/44808-4420-emancipation-ave-at-rosewood/?do=findComment&comment=591469

From the How many bars can the intersection of Emancipation and Wheeler support thread:

On 6/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, trymahjong said:

A fancy  (NE corner)restaurant ($40+ per plate) tried to open 2years ago but residents were extremely vocal against it, being suspicious ( more than a few bars started out that way) that it might open as a restaurant but likely would close quickly and reopen as a bar

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45011-how-many-bars-can-the-intersection-of-emancipation-and-wheeler-support/?do=findComment&comment=592910

Here is an earlier rendering of the restaurant at 4331 Emancipation. It's the conversion of the Universal Typewriter Shop house. 

The name of the restaurant is Edsel House.

This is a rendering from 2016 or 2017 sent to Swamplot but was never published.

hRNG1ct.jpg

And this was the original design of Edsel House in 2016. A 3-D video of the design was posted to Youtube three years from the same group that created the 3-D video model tour of Pitch 25 and Holman Draft House.

This is an updated rendering of Edsel House at 4331 Emancipation in Third Ward, Houston. It's the conversion of the Universal Typewriter Shop house.

This is an upscale restaurant named after Houston artist Edsel Cramer.

I don't know if this is from the Turkey Leg Hut people or someone else.

4DkBBWj.jpg

I still drive by daily and see nothing has changed. Two years or so the owners of restaurant asked for the patio option to be moved- the neighbors said “NO” not sure if anything in designer renderings reflects that. The owners wanted a COH handicap cut in curbing along side Emancipation, where valets would be accommodating exiting patrons of restaurant. I’ve notice some improvements or sidewalk along Wheeler but no curb cuts on Emancipation..

This was in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by trymahjong, June 6, 2019 in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward.

It’s a nice rendering.....I think someone said Edsel was name of original property owner.

I remember the suggestion to make the building a coffee house dedicated to his achievements and decorated with the inventory from the typewriter shop. 

Uh no

That didn’t interest the restaurant to be owners.

i sat next to Dwight Boykin at a community meeting about this place. He was all for it and if I remember correctly he voiced support for a “high  class restaurant like those in Montrose or that was the geist of what I remember. Probably of the 30 or so close by neighbors- he was the only one supporting it. I don’t Remember the husband and wife’s name who were the owners but they had hired a consultant chef who was opening a bar and grill on Richmond Ave by spur 527– that bar failed.

The owners seemed nice and gobsmacked that the neighbors response was so very negative. There were questions “ Don’ you want a nice restaurant in this area?

The responses were along the line of .....”valet parking takes place on Emancipation street 30 feet from stop light- won’t that be a traffic snarl?  Lots of people won’t valet park period- will would be patrons walk 3 blocks from their car to get to restaurant. This was a reference to the “rough” appearance of wheeler street. Lastly, Then references to business starting out as sandwich shop but wasn’t successful so turned into a bar plus there are no regular price ( not to mention cheap or fast food even) restaurants anywhere close but a high dollar restaurant is expected to be successful.

the mentor/chef didn’t seem to make “ niceness” his priority and seemed to make a portion or the diverse neighbors feel uncomfortable.

Again, I don’t recall exactly his words but he stated that he, himself would never ask for neighborhood input.

Councilman Boykin got a lot of blowback at his inability to influence the current bars to respect COH noise and parking ordinances. He left early.

The neighbors continue to be disgruntled about this situation.

This was in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Beernut, June 6, 2019 in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, trymahjong said:

owners but they had hired a consultant chef who was opening a bar and grill on Richmond Ave by spur 527– that bar failed.

Chef Wendell Price  The place on Richmond was Rustic Oak.  He also had a place on Emancipation across from from Emancipation Park called R.O. Seafood Boiler Shack.  I live near the park and was initially excited until I saw the reviews for both his places.  

This was in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 7, 2019 in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:37 PM, BeerNut said:

Chef Wendell Price  The place on Richmond was Rustic Oak.  He also had a place on Emancipation across from from Emancipation Park called R.O. Seafood Boiler Shack.  I live near the park and was initially excited until I saw the reviews for both his places.  

That's a no for me, dawg. 

I read about the bad business practices and shady dealing with Wendell Price. If this is their selling point, there is a cause for concern because the restaurant won't last. 

If places like Coltivare and Better Luck Tomorrow can make it work with little parking in a high-traffic area of their neighborhood, this place can. But it does need to be a good neighbors and make changes based on the concerns of the residents.

If this is from the Turkey Leg Hut people, I can believe Boykins is backing them, He has his favorite businesses in his district that he'll go above & beyond for than the average person. 

From what I'm reading in this thread, this is a cluster#^#& and it hasn't open.

Originally posted by trymahjong, June 7, 2019 in the previous thread for Universal Typewriter Shop | 4311 Emancipation Ave | Third Ward.

About “favorites” and Boykin .....neighbors get finger cramps from the numerous email ( and snail mail)pleas to try and do something about the notorious shenanigans of DBar— with all that DBar gets  away with- you’d think their was a family relation or something.....IMO-lol

On 10/28/2019 at 8:02 AM, trymahjong said:

I still drive by daily and see nothing has changed. Two years or so the owners of restaurant asked for the patio option to be moved- the neighbors said “NO” not sure if anything in designer renderings reflects that. The owners wanted a COH handicap cut in curbing along side Emancipation, where valets would be accommodating exiting patrons of restaurant. I’ve notice some improvements or sidewalk along Wheeler but no curb cuts on Emancipation..

You may not notice changes from the outside, but it doesn't mean no work has been done. 

Whoever owns this, which I think may be the Turkey Leg people or they have some stake in this, is still renovating the building.

The inside of the house has been gutted and is still under construction. Much of the work is being done inside custom built fixtures, electrical, plumbing, etc). From the photos posted almost weekly on Instagram, the progress has been extensive. 

I think the main goal is to get The Daiquiri Hutt and Bar 5015 up and running first. The influx of cash from Turkey Leg and the other two businesses will speed up  work for this and Savoy. 

I get your point about not being able to see into the inside, plus i observed the gutting of the house almost three years ago. So now as I drive by a few times a day, I don’t notice any doors open, contractors or their equipment. I see the Daiquri Hut is probably finished and contractors for most part have left but I don’t see a lot of patrons. I did notice painter at The DBar sprucing that place up. 

I am am going to be blown away if D’Legacy saddened opens as a revamped business since I don’t see those doors opened either.

But as long as I drive by so frequently I thought I’d post .......

• Like 1

And I get yours. This renovation has been years in the making. I too thought after a while that Edesel or whatever name of this restaurant is was put out to pasture until the Turkey Leg guys posted updates about it this spring.

Projects like this can take years for many reasons. 

I am  hopeful the completed work will be nice, but my doubts remain about them being good neighbors. Emancipation is one of the main arteries of the Third Ward area,, so high traffic is a given. But with the push to revitalize the street as the commerce and entertainment district it once was, a serious plan for structured parking is needed. I'light rail connected the purple line to the midtown line through Elgin, more people could walk to the bars on Emancipation and to the businesses on Almeda like Turkey Leg Hut. But that's a pipe dream of mine, that I don't foresee happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

It’s funny you should bring up “Edesel”, who I understand was a remarkable poet with connections to that house and TSU? I hope I got that right. At one of the community meet and greet Dwight Boykin hosted between the owners and the residents, that name was mentioned and a more neighborhood friendly idea put forth to use the inventory from the typewriter shop ( yes there was a lot of inventory apparently) for decoration and have a coffee oriented business ( as opposed to a posh $40.00 per plate place )with Edesel and his written works as the focus...................NAW!  Same notion as before......sigh

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Universal Typewriter Shop 4311 Emancipation Ave
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Where does parking figure into all of this? Especially when school is in? It's horrible out that way.

Just eminent domain all the land to TSU..let them add additional athletic facilities/buildings and build a mixed use in it to incorporate it all.

It's all going to come to a head.

5 hours ago, hbcu said:

Where does parking figure into all of this? Especially when school is in? It's horrible out that way.

Just eminent domain all the land to TSU..let them add additional athletic facilities/buildings and build a mixed use in it to incorporate it all.

It's all going to come to a head.

Presumably, both establishments will be required, and have plans, to provide parking according to City Code.  They are not in the expanded "no parking requirements" zone are they?

Sigh

parking, parking parking........ never important to anyone but residents.
Truth be told, the Residents have done everything in their power to make the subject of parking violation important. Those  efforts were ignored by their representative on COH council Before and not much effort from current rep.. But the residents kept going.

Wheeler street from Emancipation to LiveOak is permit parking only ditto Rosewood, Uhm,  that could have been a thorn in the side of developers ,except HPD South Central and the parking Police NEVER enforce for permits.......oh my, I mean that I have never seen any enforcement in the 6+ years I have been observing, let aloneVerbalizing  complaints at PIP meetings.

Seeclickfix app and 311 have been inundated with complaints ( complete with pictures and follow up calls) but has anything changed.

No.

It’s hard not to be bitter  alas it is a character building situation.

BTW have you driven by parking lot of Dbar or Sparkles lately?  Loads and loads of people.......no social distancing.

22 hours ago, hbcu said:

TSU will account for parking on a larger scale than a restaurant who knows parking will be an issue and the losers are the neighbors.

So, your concern is TSU parking, not the restaurants' parking??   Seems like a topic for another thread.

Edited by Houston19514

On 5/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, Houston19514 said:

Presumably, both establishments will be required, and have plans, to provide parking according to City Code.  They are not in the expanded "no parking requirements" zone are they?

I'm sure the TLH people will spin it as gentrifers hate black businesses and don't want them to succeed in turning that area into a black 6th street.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Houston19514 said:

So, your concern is TSU parking, not the restaurants' parking??   Seems like a topic for another thread.

It's both...put them both together it gets uglier as I see cars parking up and down Rosewood, etc. all the time. TSU has parking but most of it is situated towards the back.

Why would a place of business open with such a large glaring issue to begin with? And who allows that?

They don't care obviously.

6 hours ago, hbcu said:

It's both...put them both together it gets uglier as I see cars parking up and down Rosewood, etc. all the time. TSU has parking but most of it is situated towards the back.

Why would a place of business open with such a large glaring issue to begin with? And who allows that?

I kinda don't mind street parking, I feel like its inevitable in these urban prone areas. The Heights, Montrose, and in other cities have the same issue. I feel like it livens the neighborhood, but just personal opinion. 

19 hours ago, hbcu said:

Has either of the businesses opened?  Do we actually have any reason to think they are going to open without having the required parking?

Edited by Houston19514

have you seen the driveways out there? doesn't take much to block them.

I pass by Blodgett and Dowling/Emancipation daily and the D-Bar..used to frequent it when it was 7-Sports Bar. Went to the bar off Wichita and Almeda and parking in the middle of neighborhood and walking blocks and hoping the car may still be there due to towing ain't fun. The rules are fluid.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Universal Typewriter Shop 4311 Emancipation Ave.
  • 3 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 5:10 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I don't know if this is from the Turkey Leg Hut people or someone else.

Edsel's (or may go by the name Edsel's House) is not associated with the Turkey Leg Hut. It is an establishment from another husband and wife team.

Claire Watson, wife and co-owner of Edsel's, does have another food and beverage concept nearby. She is partners with Turkey Leg Hut's Nakia Price on nearby bar & grill the Savoy, located at 4402 Emancipation Ave.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston