Patterson Park At 2205 Patterson St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created June 5, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread is coming.

2205 Patterson Street in Houston. I don't know the neighborhood but I think this is part of the Greater Heights. 

CIW5DXK.jpg

y0W4bSc.jpg

Street View from 2015

LGh6Ody.jpg

WHkhYsa.jpg

zRj793R.jpg

7RvAVs5.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

This was originally posted June 5, 2019 in the previous thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

2205 Patterson St is on the city of Houston planning agenda. The land owners are seeking a subdivision plat application and variance request. A bar is going to be built here.

From the documents:

Specific Variance is being sought and extent of variance:

To allow a reduced building line of 5' along Patterson Street in lieu of the required 10'

Chapter 42 Reference:

The building line requirement for a tract used or to be used for other than single-family residential purposes adjacent to a street that is a collector street or local street that is not an alley shall be ten feet unless otherwise required or authorized by this chapter.

(1b) Strict application would make this project infeasible due to the existence of unusual physical characteristics that affect the property in question, or would create an impractical development or one otherwise contrary to sound public policy;

This is a vacant site on the west side of Patterson Street and north of Cornish Street. This section of Patterson Street between Interstate 10 to the south and White Oak Bayou to the north is less than 1000’ feet in length. On the east side of the street between I-10 and White Oak Bayou, there is a City of Houston Public Works Maintenance Facility. On the west side of the street on either side of Cornish Street, there are groups of townhomes, both of which have 5’ building lines on Patterson Street. Both subdivisions of townhomes on either side of Cornish Street were platted in 2014. Since this is a local street, Patterson Street is very unlikely to get repaved any time soon, especially since the existing paving section is in decent condition. Due to Patterson’s street classification as a local street and the fact that there is no street with which to line up, Patterson will not be extended across White Oak Bayou for the foreseeable future. There are a few very dilapidated homes just north of this site that were built just after World War I, which are the only other properties taking access from Patterson other than the aforementioned townhomes and the City of Houston facility. The site is

entirely within the floodplain and has an irregular shape, which makes site planning difficult. It also has considerable topographical undulations as one traverses toward the western property line from Patterson Street. Approximately 54% of the site is in the floodway or within the building line/dedication area, making that area completely undevelopable. The site only has about 70’ of developable area in terms of depth after accounting for the 5’ building line and right of way dedication. Due to the topography and unusual shape, the developer had to get creative with the parking layout as well as having to elevate the entire back deck and a good portion of the building utilizing pilings.

lqy7kq9.jpg

LTDvAiH.jpg

This was originally posted June 5, 2019 in the previous thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Mock ups and building plans of the bar proposed for 2205 Patterson St in Houston, in or near the Heights. The bar's name is Patternson's or Patterson's.

Yju7jnn.jpg

zFDssKI.jpg

lDbOJvk.jpg

1kJN1Aw.jpg

qaQFLEp.jpg

h8hThXS.jpg

RRMkkWc.jpg

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by Texasota, June 6, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

I don't mind the site plan, but "Patternson's"? On Patterson? That fills me with rage.

This was in the previous thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 6, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:39 PM, Texasota said:

I don't mind the site plan, but "Patternson's"? On Patterson? That fills me with rage.

I don't know if the name on the building specs is right nor not. I don't know if the bar is Patterson's or Patternson's.

Once this goes up on the agenda again this month, may be there will be clarification. If not, a TABC notice on the property will pop up by this fall under the name Patterson Street Real Estate LLC.

Originally posted by Luminare, June 6, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:39 PM, Texasota said:

Its also the oddest location for anything. Yeah the site plan is fine, but the location? Its one of hardest areas to get too. Its such a strange consequence area because of geography and the highway.

Originally posted by wilcal, June 6, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:57 PM, Luminare said:

Its also the oddest location for anything. Yeah the site plan is fine, but the location? Its one of hardest areas to get too. Its such a strange consequence area because of geography and the highway.

It is going to be part of a new bikeway that runs to Buffalo Bayou Park. This section will just be sharrows and share the road signage. mkt Phase 1 will be open in a yearish, too and would be walk/bike-able. 

Originally posted by Luminare, June 6, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, wilcal said:

It is going to be part of a new bikeway that runs to Buffalo Bayou Park. This section will just be sharrows and share the road signage. mkt Phase 1 will be open in a yearish, too and would be walk/bike-able. 

Great point. We need a pedestrian bridge there stat! I've walked that sidewalk on the shepherd bridge...not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by wilcal, June 7, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, Luminare said:

Great point. We need a pedestrian bridge there stat! I've walked that sidewalk on the shepherd bridge...not my cup of tea.

Pedestrian bridge coming on east side of TxDOT detention pond fall 2022. Was a project funded by H-GAC

• Like 1

Originally posted by Luminare, June 7, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:45 PM, wilcal said:

Pedestrian bridge coming on east side of TxDOT detention pond fall 2022. Was a project funded by H-GAC

Really? Where? You are filling this dumby with knowledge today my friend haha.

Originally posted by wilcal, June 7, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, Luminare said:

Really? Where? You are filling this dumby with knowledge today my friend haha.

I actually just launched a blog this week about streets in Houston, but mostly bike/pedestrian infrastructure this week and wrote a whole post about it 

http://houstreets.com/2019/06/05/a-closer-look-at-another-hcag-funded-bike-project-heights-mkt-trail-to-white-oak-bayou-trial/

I found myself reading and researching so many interesting things that I thought why not shout at the cloud in a more direct fashion.

Best way to follow for updates is the twitter account: https://twitter.com/HOUstreets

Here's a pic of what Houston Bike Plan has for the area: 

pn6L8g0.png

There's also a final (I think?) public meeting for the Patterson bike lane next Thursday night I plan on going to. Patterson from White Oak Bayou Trail to I-10 is only 26' wide, so that leaves very limited options (aka no dedicated bike trail unfortunately). The bridge shown from W 6th down across to patterson is unfunded/unplanned for at this time. 

Originally posted by Luminare, June 7, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, wilcal said:

I actually just launched a blog this week about streets in Houston, but mostly bike/pedestrian infrastructure this week and wrote a whole post about it 

http://houstreets.com/2019/06/05/a-closer-look-at-another-hcag-funded-bike-project-heights-mkt-trail-to-white-oak-bayou-trial/

I found myself reading and researching so many interesting things that I thought why not shout at the cloud in a more direct fashion.

Best way to follow for updates is the twitter account: https://twitter.com/HOUstreets

Great stuff. I'll be sure to keep up with it.

Thats a lot of jogs in that path though. It seems like it wants to be something like this though (I drew the purple):

YJIu8XC.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, Luminare said:

Great stuff. I'll be sure to keep up with it.

Thats a lot of jogs in that path though. It seems like it wants to be something like this though (I drew the purple):

Agreed, but I think the other side is tricky. Had this discussion with someone else on Twitter. My thinking (and to be clear, these are GUESSES):

1) More people will be riding east to Downtown/Walmart/Sprouts/Etc, so less people will be backtracking.

2) Preference given to already established east side residential development.

3) Possible engineering problems with putting a bridge on West side:

Y8WB48S.png

4) I don't think that they would direct people to walk in front of the spillway on that ledge.

5) You'd surely have to follow this red line and then the bridge might be a bit awkward. It's a little hard to guess since these satellite images are older than the trail in this section.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 7, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:57 PM, Luminare said:

At first glance, yes. The location is sorta odd, but then again, it's near the trail and bayou. I can envision the finished product, surrounded by the trees with a view of the bayou possibly from the upper patio deck. 

The location could work for them. You know millennials these days (I'm one too, although old hahaha) love hidden spots. The more hidden or out-of-the-way, the better because it makes them believe they found this cool, chill, hidden spot know one but them and their thousands of Instagram followers know of. 

On 6/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, wilcal said:

Niiiiiiiiice! Thanks @wilcal.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 12, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

Updated renderings and mock ups of the bar proposed for 2205 Patterson St in Houston, in or near the Heights. The bar's name is Patterson Park or Patterson's.

This is from newly submitted and approved documents presented to the city planning commission.

From Virtual Builders Exchange courtesy of Schuster Inc.:

RFoXoMv.jpg

From the city planning commission agenda:

IoRG0Ex.jpg(direct link to non-compressed, full-sized image)

1z2uKhD.jpg

(direct link to non-compressed, full-sized image)

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 12, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

Building specs and parking plans for 2205 Patterson St in Houston, in or near the Heights. The patio bar's name is Patterson Park or Patterson's.

From the city planning commission agenda:

Building Square Foot Analysis

Condition Space Square Footage: 3,645 sf

Patio Space Square Footage: 3,704 sf

Total Square Footage: 7,349 sf

Parking Analysis

Parking Provided Onsite: 51

* Patterson St. Parking Lot: 13
* Cornish & Fowler Parking Lot: 30
Bike Rack Credit: 10
Total Parking Available: 104

* off­site parking lots are valet parked

Update on 2205 Patterson St in Houston, in or near the Heights. The patio bar's name is Patterson Park or Patterson's.

From Virtual Builders Exchange:

A Greater Heights area waterfront bar-restaurant on stilts concept received a thumbs up from the Houston Planning Commission...

Patterson Street Real Estate LLC, the owner of record on an irregularly shaped lot that faces White Oak Bayou, received a variance allowing a 5-foot setback fro the road, instead of the required 10 feet. According to Harris County Appraisal District records, the office of Patterson Street RE traces back to Nicpa Interests Inc., a company controlled by Ricardo Weitz.

Weitz, a Mexican expatriate, is a wealthy Houston entrepreneur known for his auto dealerships and banking expertise.

The Patterson Street project is in a neighborhood that has experienced townhouse development. The location takes advantage of the White Oak Bayou Trail and close proximity also to the Katy Freeway.

The setback reduction was requested because most of the property (54%) is in the floodway or within the building line/dedication area; the city is planning to widen Patterson from its current 28-foot width to 60 feet, Development Services staff planner Chad Miller said. This is part of the city’s plan to introduce a bike lane that will connect to the hike and bike trail.

The topography is very uneven, staff noted: “The developer had to get creative with the parking layout as well as having to elevate the entire back deck and a good portion of the building, utilizing pilings.”

More: https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-white-oak-bayou-greater-heights-bar-restaurant-concept-passes-planning-commission/

Originally posted by Visitor, June 12, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:02 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

...the city is planning to widen Patterson from its current 28-foot width to 60 feet, Development Services staff planner Chad Miller said. This is part of the city’s plan to introduce a bike lane that will connect to the hike and bike trail.

Outside of feeling bad for the homes near this new bar, this excerpt is the most interesting component. Any idea where I can find more info on the street widening and bike lane? I've been following the Patterson bike lane topic and thread on HAIF. There is supposed to be a West End Civic club meeting update on the bike lane this Thursday. 

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 24, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, Visitor said:

Any idea where I can find more info on the street widening and bike lane? I've been following the Patterson bike lane topic and thread on HAIF. There is supposed to be a West End Civic club meeting update on the bike lane this Thursday. 

I don't. Other than the trail thread, that's all I've read for updates.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 24, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

Website for Patterson Park or Patterson's at 2205 Patterson, Houston:

https://www.pattersonparkhouston.com/

Originally posted by wilcal, June 24, 2019 in the thread for Patterson Park | 2205 Patterson St.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:02 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The setback reduction was requested because most of the property (54%) is in the floodway or within the building line/dedication area; the city is planning to widen Patterson from its current 28-foot width to 60 feet, Development Services staff planner Chad Miller said. This is part of the city’s plan to introduce a bike lane that will connect to the hike and bike trail.

Maybe...but probably not considering they've decided against building a bike lane on the rest of Patterson that is wide enough to currently support it.

• The title was changed to Patterson Park 2205 Patterson St
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Website for Patterson Park or Patterson's at 2205 Patterson, Houston:

https://www.pattersonparkhouston.com/

The website for Patterson Park launched yesterday, coinciding with their Nextseed investor campaign. Spring 2020 is the anticipated opening.

According to the website, this will be a patio bar at 2205 Patterson St in the Heights area.

fdQXCKL.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Patterson Park, the patio bar going up at 2205 Patterson St in the Heights, kicked off their Nextseed campaign yesterday.

https://nextseed.com/offerings/patterson-park

Additionally, there are updated renderings included on the site and their website:

2dJfXfM.jpg

mzz5bYS.jpg

YUVkS1D.jpg

35bfv1b.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I was hoping this was still a go! 

He showed me some pics as to what it was going to look like, had lots of outdoor patios. I mentioned the future shared bike path. He was hoping they would build a bridge across White Oak bayou connecting to the Heights area to bring more traffic by his new place.

3 minutes ago, hindesky said:

He showed me some pics as to what it was going to look like, had lots of outdoor patios. I mentioned the future shared bike path. He was hoping they would build a bridge across White Oak bayou connecting to the Heights area to bring more traffic by his new place.

Nice! Does it match up to the renderings above?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, hindesky said:

He was hoping they would build a bridge across White Oak bayou connecting to the Heights area to bring more traffic by his new place.

I think the spot is perfect for a bridge, if he owns the Fairfield site on the other side then it makes sense to connect the two directly.