Market At Houston Heights: Retail Center At 1533 N. Shepherd Dr.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created March 15, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread is coming.

The 1500 block of N Shepherd is being converted into a new development. The map for Bungalows on 22nd St shows the entire 1500 block of North Shepherd as development called Market at Houston Heights. The properties are between W 16th St and W 15th St, across the street from Wooster's Annex and Heights Bier Garten.

The site plan depicts three restaurants and a retail space.

0KEwgC3.jpg

DBPlyRp.jpg

This was originally posted June 1, 2017 in the previous thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Does anyone know about Market at Houston Heights? It's a new development from Capital Retail Properties.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted June 30, 2017 in the previous thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Found new information about Market at Houston Heights, 1533 N Shepherd Dr ( 1533 North Shepherd ), on Loopnet.  It's the site of insurance Used Cars.

- The Market at Houston Heights is a new development delivering in the Summer of 2018 (Loopnet listings shows Fall of 2018) that will serve the surrounding neighborhoods and businesses in the eclectic Heights area.

- The project will sit on approximately 75,000 square feet of land, which will allow for abundant surface parking, an amenity that is difficult to find in these dense areas of Houston.

- The future retail development fronts Shepherd Drive, which has started to transform into a corridor for unique chef driven concepts and high end restaurants.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/9EC240DC-4674-4205-8BC8-DC9E42B24C0D.pdf

4mbNEjR.jpg

ujtNtBa.jpg

b0RTR0c.jpg

Closer view of site plan for Market at Houston Heights

uS6CA9F.jpg

This was originally posted June 30, 2017 in the previous thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Rendering of Market at Houston Heights, 1533 N Shepherd Dr ( 1533 North Shepherd ), designed by Austin's Michael Hsu Architecture 

0WWIidq.jpg

Originally posted by Angostura,June 30, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

In a 7-yr stretch, from say 2014 to 2021, the 10-block stretch of Shepherd from 14th to 24th, stands to be one of the most radical transformations of any stretch of major thoroughfare inside the loop. There's still a lot more to come, I think, from small infill developments to whatever will replace C&D on 22nd.

Originally posted by s3mh, October 16, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Another pretty substantial retail development for N. Shep.  To think, one day you may hear someone in Houston comment about how they can't afford to eat and shop with all the yuppies on N. Shep.  

Originally posted by mollusk, October 16, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Just to be pedantic, what were once the yuppies aren't so "y" anymore.  

It's actually ironic hipster millenials that are the feedstock for all the drinkeries and eateries blanketing the 'hood.  They are easily distinguished by their skinny high water jeans, beards, and small brimmed fedoras.  

Originally posted by Eggplant, October 16, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

The newer developments in the hood have some sense of style.  Amazing that Shepherd is becoming a showcase for what is possible if we allow ourselves to be a little creative.  So much has changed in just a couple of years.

This was in the previous thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, December 11, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

From Houston Business Journal today:

Capital Retail Properties will develop a 30,000-square-foot mixed-use development at 1533 N. Shepherd Dr. The project, dubbed Market at Houston Heights, will deliver speculative space for tenants in fall 2018, a Capital Retail Properties spokesperson told the Houston Business Journal.

Austin-based Michael Hsu Office of Architecture oversaw the project's design, which will offer dining and retail, per the spokesperson. Identity Architects is the architect of record. Capital Retail Properties is working in partnership with Randy Wile of Wile Interests Inc. to fund the project.

...The concept behind Market at Houston Heights was inspired by Radom Capital's Heights Mercantile project, Capital Retail Properties' Anderson Smith said in a statement.

“Just as Heights Mercantile has created connectivity and excitement with highly curated offerings at the southern gateway to The Heights, we see this transformative project activating the northern portion of the neighborhood," Smith, a partner at the firm, said in the statement.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/12/11/exclusive-new-mixed-use-development-to-rise-in-the.html

This was in the previous thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, December 12, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

More on Market at Houston Heights at 1533 N Shepherd from PaperCity:

Get ready for the Market at Houston Heights, a new 75,000-square-foot mixed use development on 1.7 acres along North Shepherd Drive.

Capital Retail Properties — the commercial brokerage firm behind the new project — wants to make its mark on the neighborhood.

With partner Randy Wile of Wile Interests, Inc., and architectural firm Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, Capital is giving North Shepherd and West 16th a serious makeover.

The massive parcel at 1533 North Shepherd currently houses a used car lot and food machinery company, among other businesses. By mid-2019, the space will transform into a brand new lifestyle destination. Build out for tenants is anticipated to start in the fall of 2018. (Many of the old businesses have already closed.)

Market at Houston Heights will include a 30,000-square-foot space for dining, specialty, and retail services. The entire property consists of nine tracks and more than half a city block, not far from the forthcoming new Heights H-E-B.

More on the tenets the development is looking for and the look of the development:

The retail destination will be distinctly restaurant-driven. A one-story, 4,000-square-foot freestanding restaurant will sit at the corner of Shepherd and 16th street. There will be one restaurant at each of the end caps of the retail building, which will stand two stories tall and measure in at 26,000 square feet.

“Restaurants are the future anchors of retail,” Smith says. The firm is encouraging local, regional, and national restaurants at Market at Houston Heights.

“We want something for everyone,” Smith says. To that end, Capital Retail Properties is allowing each restaurant to have its own unique storefront. Instead of a homogenous blend, each eatery will stand out on its own.

Capital Retail Properties chose Michael Hsu Office of Architecture for its creativity and vision, especially with regards to its South Congress neighborhood projects in Austin. The Austin-based architects, a popular choice for Houston hospitality concepts, “are forward-thinking,” Smith says.

Michael Hsu will work to bring “the South Austin feel” to The Heights, according to Smith. “We want new bones and an old soul,” he says.

A combination of seamless metal, brick, steel, and glass will make up the building’s facade. Its geared around creating a historical industrial look. The landscaping will follow a modern approach, with low-lying greenery, including succulents. Planters will frame the walkways and patios along Shepherd.

A landscaped, 3,000-square-foot central plaza with seating will serve as a space for people to gather, and for weekend markets and tenant and community events. Parking will be at the back of the property, allowing for a more pedestrian-friendly vibe. There will be 160 parking spaces and plenty of bike racks.

More here: https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/heights-market-development-mixed-use-restaurant-center/

This was in the previous thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by Angostura, December 12, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

The City of Houston has plans to beautify Shepherd and improve its infrastructure, Smith says.

I've heard vague rumors of this, but nothing concrete.

With all the new development along Shepherd, this is overdue. It should be modified to be more in line with its 35 mph speed limit. Cars routinely travel in excess of 50 mph along Shepherd and Durham because those feel like appropriate speeds on a road that's designed like a freeway, which means it's really intimidating to walk along.

Current paved width is 44-ft, with 4 x 11-ft traffic lanes. Traffic counts along this stretch of Shepherd are about 20,000 cars per weekday, so three lanes would be more than adequate, and a lane width of 10 feet instead of 11 would result in drivers naturally reducing their speed. That leaves 14 feet of RoW, which can be used to add a row of parking on one side (8 ft) and increasing sidewalk width by 3-ft per side. Or you could add a parking protected bike lane: 7-ft parking lane, 3-ft buffer, 4-ft bike lane.

Originally posted by Ross, December 13, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, Angostura said:

I've heard vague rumors of this, but nothing concrete.

With all the new development along Shepherd, this is overdue. It should be modified to be more in line with its 35 mph speed limit. Cars routinely travel in excess of 50 mph along Shepherd and Durham because those feel like appropriate speeds on a road that's designed like a freeway, which means it's really intimidating to walk along.

Current paved width is 44-ft, with 4 x 11-ft traffic lanes. Traffic counts along this stretch of Shepherd are about 20,000 cars per weekday, so three lanes would be more than adequate, and a lane width of 10 feet instead of 11 would result in drivers naturally reducing their speed. That leaves 14 feet of RoW, which can be used to add a row of parking on one side (8 ft) and increasing sidewalk width by 3-ft per side. Or you could add a parking protected bike lane: 7-ft parking lane, 3-ft buffer, 4-ft bike lane.

Oh, hell no. If they reduce the lane width, I am gong to barf on someone in the City's offices. Bad idea, given the number of larger vehicles that use that street, which is the one I use more than any other street in town. Want to reduce speeds? Get HPD to write tickets on that stretch, instead of the foot of the TC Jester or Shepherd bridges over White Oak Bayou.

Originally posted by Texasota, December 14, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Eh, no. The best way to reduce speed is passive - design the street so that it is more difficult to go fast. 

Besides, a 10' lane width is not unusually narrow; no one was suggesting a Lower Westheimer-style situation.

10' - standard urban lane

12' - standard limited access highway lane

11' - weird compromise

Originally posted by PurpleDevil, December 14, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, Ross said:

Oh, hell no. If they reduce the lane width, I am gong to barf on someone in the City's offices. Bad idea, given the number of larger vehicles that use that street, which is the one I use more than any other street in town. Want to reduce speeds? Get HPD to write tickets on that stretch, instead of the foot of the TC Jester or Shepherd bridges over White Oak Bayou.

This. Very much this. The 35mph limit on North Shepherd has become nothing more than a mere suggestion. Once you get past Tidwell it's suggested @ 45mph, but I've seen most drivers scaring the hell out of 70 down the stretch between Leago and West Little York. People want slower speeds on Shepherd, and that's great. We, that live off of North Shepherd, need the cops to be at more places along North Shepherd than just the Shipley's at Luke.

Originally posted by Angostura, December 14, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, Ross said:

If you need police writing tons of tickets to get people to travel at something close to the posted speed limit, then you've done a crap job designing the street. I'd rather have police out fighting crime than trying to compensate for bad street design.

Ever notice that people fly along Yale (limit: 30) and crawl along Heights Blvd (limit 35)? It's street design. (Yale should be converted to a 3-lane format--Studewood and Yale have about the same traffic volume--but that's a discussion for a different thread.)

Reducing Shepherd to three 10-ft lanes (typical urban lane width), would help turn it into an actual street that people wouldn't be terrified to walk along, and would result in speeds closer to the posted limit without requiring constant police presence, all with a minimal effect on travel times. Win-win.

Originally posted by Ross, December 14, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:37 AM, Angostura said:

If you need police writing tons of tickets to get people to travel at something close to the posted speed limit, then you've done a crap job designing the street. I'd rather have police out fighting crime than trying to compensate for bad street design.

Ever notice that people fly along Yale (limit: 30) and crawl along Heights Blvd (limit 35)? It's street design. (Yale should be converted to a 3-lane format--Studewood and Yale have about the same traffic volume--but that's a discussion for a different thread.)

Reducing Shepherd to three 10-ft lanes (typical urban lane width), would help turn it into an actual street that people wouldn't be terrified to walk along, and would result in speeds closer to the posted limit without requiring constant police presence, all with a minimal effect on travel times. Win-win.

You assume anyone wants to walk along Shepherd. I suspect almost everyone will drive, just as they do today. Speeds aren't excessive until you get past 43rd, where the pavement is a lot smoother. I seldom see anyone going over 40 inside 610. Heights has slower speeds because it's a single lane with parking and more stops. It's also not a through street. That's not going to happen on Shepherd. Yale isn't bad either, in my experience. Faster than Heights, but no one drives the speed limit on Heights.

Originally posted by BillyBreedlove, December 15, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Has there been any push to turn Shepherd and Durham into two-way streets? When I lived in Dallas,  there was a move to turn some streets in Deep Ellum and Oak Cliff to calm traffic, increase walkability, and discourage drivers from treating the streets like a freeway.

Originally posted by Angostura, December 15, 2017 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:11 PM, BillyBreedlove said:

Has there been any push to turn Shepherd and Durham into two-way streets? When I lived in Dallas,  there was a move to turn some streets in Deep Ellum and Oak Cliff to calm traffic, increase walkability, and discourage drivers from treating the streets like a freeway.

Last traffic count data is from 2010. Shepherd and Durham had combined ~48k cars per weekday south of 11th, ~34k 11th to 20th, ~40k 20th to 610. Since most of the activity is on Shepherd, if you split into two two-way streets, you won't get an even split of traffic. And you have to deal with the intersection just north of 610, where Durham ends.

Originally posted by Evil Developer, January 10, 2018 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

why do these developers think that they have to import architect's (well mainly just that ONE) from Austin to get a decent design?  Not trying to throw shade at HSU, but there is talent here in H-town, and it doesn't have to mimic S. Congress to be 'cool'.  it just bugs me that people think that we have to copy south ATX to be hip, and that will never get H-town out of the ATX's shadow...inspiration is one thing, imitation is another...

Originally posted by Angostura, March 2 2018 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Demo permit for the bar (13) issued today. 

Still haven't seen any info on tenants.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, March 11, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Updated rendering of Market at Houston Heights ,1533 N Shepherd

fmSo9q3.jpg

Site Map

JKNcPWx.jpg

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, March 11, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:29 AM, Angostura said:

Still haven't seen any info on tenants.

From Houston Chronicle today:

Flower Child signs on as first tenant in Heights retail development

Flower Child has inked the first lease in Market at Houston Heights, its third Houston location. The 3,500-square-foot restaurant is scheduled to open in the 30,000-square-foot lifestyle development going up at 1533 N. Shepherd Drive in the Heights early next year.

Lacee Jacobs of CBRE represented Fox Restaurant Concepts. Market at Houston Heights was represented by Anderson Smith and Connor Lynch of Capital Retail Properties, which is developing the project in partnership with Randy Wile of Wile Interests.

Designed by Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, Market at Houston Heights sits on 1.7 acres between 15th and 16th streets. The developers plan to deliver the first spaces to tenants this summer.

Flower Child will offer patio seating at its spot on the northern end of the 26,000-square-foot, two-story main building. A 3,000-square-foot central plaza between the main building and one-story, 4,000-square-foot building will provide additional seating as well as space for weekend markets and community events.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Flower-Child-signs-on-as-first-tenant-in-Heights-13678913.php

Updated rendering of Market at Houston Heights ,1533 N Shepherd

From Houston Chronicle

r50j1Z7.jpg

And from  Prism Renderings

O5xqLJR.jpg
https://prismrenderings.com/projects/market-at-houston-heights/

Originally posted by thedistrict84, March 11, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

I’m liking the lot in the back and having the buildings front the sidewalk, but not crazy about that driveway with handicapped and other parking spots between the buildings,  with access to N. Shepherd. Seems like a weird access point, especially with it so close to the intersection with 16th St.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, March 28, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

From the Leader today:

CycleBar indoor cycling studio is the newest signed tenant at the Market at Houston Heights, 30,000 square-foot retail development currently under construction at 1533 N. Shepherd Dr.

CycleBar... will occupy a 2,471 square-foot, second-floor space.

https://theleadernews.com/new-tenant-for-market-at-houston-heights/

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 8, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

Tenant update for  Market at Houston Heights ,1533 N Shepherd in Houston.

From Houston Business Journal:

Market at Houston Heights, a project at 1533 N. Shepherd Drive being developed by Houston-based Capital Retail Properties with Wile Interests Inc., has announced three new tenants. 

Salon Lofts, M+L Dental and Vanguard Spine & Sport have leased space in the upcoming development, according to a press release, joining Phoenix-based health food chain Flower Child and Boston-based CycleBar. Anderson Smith and Connor Lynch represented the development in all deals. The development is expected to deliver space for tenants to begin building out in June.

Salon Lofts leased a 4,200-square-foot second-floor endcap at the north end of the development. Greg Stanislawski with The Retail Strategy represented Salon Lofts. This will be one of three Houston locations the Columbus, Ohio-based salon company is opening this year — the others are in Upper Kirby and Cinco Ranch. 

M+L Dental will occupy a 2,200-square-foot end line unit on the second floor. The practice was represented by Patrick Valentz with Xite Realty.

Houston-based Vanguard Spine & Sport will occupy a 3,000-square-foot endcap on second floor of the development’s south end. Valentz also served as the broker for Vanguard. The company offers medicine services such as care for neck and back pain, as well as sports injuries, among others. It will be Vanguard’s second location. 

Also:

Smith added that he and his team sought out tenants for a younger, more affluent demographic. With over 50 percent of the spaces filled, Smith is being selective on the rest. He’s searching for soft-goods retailers, as well as a wine bar or coffee shop for the southern first-floor endcap. The development is slated to open in the fourth quarter of 2019. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/08/upcoming-heights-development-signs-three-new.html

Originally posted by Urbannizer, August 1, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

From Identity Architects on Instagram, July 25

Project Progress: Market at Houston Heights. 25,400 SF two-story retail development located at North Shepherd Dr. & 16th St. 

dukPT5E.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0WY9GlgTxE

Originally posted by j_cuevas713,  August 1, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

This is a pretty impressive little development. 

Originally posted by hindesky,  September 8, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

I like this type of design, think it turned out nice.

VQ6VOBZ.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Luminare,  September 17, 2019 in the thread for Market at Houston Heights | 1533 N Shepherd | The Heights.

On 9/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, hindesky said:

I like this type of design, think it turned out nice.

Its also nice to walk by. I've walked by here during the day and at night. We need more of these.