Killen’s Restaurant At 101 Heights Blvd.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created August 22, 2018. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread is here.

101 Heights Boulevard in the Washington Corridor area, former site of Hickory Hollow.

JH4Dopl.jpg

pYfdw2N.jpg

Google Street View December 2016:

qYSpzPt.jpg

CCt6ytL.jpg

This was originally posted August 22, 2018 in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

From the Lack of Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread: Hickory Hollow is closing early next year at 101 Heights Blvd.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:00 PM, mkultra25 said:

Hickory Hollow is closing early next year - the property has been sold to Braun Enterprises. Their other location in Fallbrook will remain open. 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-21-18-hickory-hollow-heights-restaurant-building-sold-closing-braun-enterprises-tony-riedel/

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=573332

This was originally posted August 22, 2018 in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

Braun Enterprises has purchased  the 101 Heights Blvd property, where Hickory Hollow restaurant has been open for over 30 years.

Marketing materials below:

https://www.braunenterprises.com/101-heights-blvd

https://www.braunenterprises.com/s/Braun-Enterprises-101-Heights-Blvd-f3g4.pdf
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58cc240cbf629aaf4858104e/t/5b7b4217758d46b6ff99b723/1534804508497/Braun+Enterprises+-+101+Heights+Blvd.pdf (archive link)

p7yvZBg.jpg

mym4b2Q.jpg

U6m0zX5.jpg

urvDj45.jpg

This was originally posted December 31, 2018 in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

More on the closing date for  Hickory Hollow at 101 Heights Blvd.

From CultureMap Houston

The clock is ticking for inner loop-dwelling fans of Hickory Hollow. The Texas comfort food restaurant will close its Washington Avenue location on January 13, general manager Joseph Boehm tells CultureMap.

...Still, those who want a memento of the Heights location have the opportunity to purchase some of the memorabilia. As Boehm and Riedel decide which signs and other knickknacks won't make the journey, they're putting them up for sale. More items will be available closer to the closing date. 

As for the building's future, that's still undecided. Braun director of leasing Zach Wolf tells CultureMap that the developer is in active negotiations with several interested parties. With lots of parking and a prime location that will soon be across the street from a new H-E-B, it's a desirable property. 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-17-18-hickory-hollow-heights-restaurant-closing-date-january-13-joseph-boehm/

This was originally posted March 25, 2019 in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

Ronnie Killen is opening a restaurant in the Heights. From Instagram, he's looking at Hickory Hollow at 101 Heights Blvd, Houston.

From Instagram Yesterday:

Hmmmm...
fcnwigC.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZhSF_gJPg/

This was originally posted March 25, 2019 in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

From CultureMap today on the Hickory Hollow building at 101 Heights Blvd, Houston.

Hickory Hollow may have closed its location at 101 Heights Blvd., but the building that housed the beloved restaurant will continue to serve legendary chicken fried steaks. They’ll just be served by one of Houston’s most acclaimed chefs.

Ronnie Killen, Houston’s king of meat, has leased the property from local real estate developer Braun Enterprises for a new concept he’s simply calling Killen’s. It will be the chef’s first restaurant within the Loop and his second inside the Houston city limits. Over the weekend, Killen floated the possibility of opening in a restaurant in the space on social media; in actuality, he's had his eye on the property for months and completed the deal on Friday.  

Unlike his other restaurants, no three letter suffix is required to explain the concept. Instead, Killen’s will consolidate under one roof the Southern-style comfort food that has been present at all of his restaurants in various forms. Whether it’s the fried shrimp that have always been one of the best dishes at Killen’s Steakhouse, the chicken fried steak that’s a favorite on the dinner menu at Killen’s Barbecue, or the brisket enchiladas that are a customer favorite at Killen’s TMX, they’ll all have a home at Killen’s.

“I’m excited,” Killen tells CultureMap. “It’s the best of what we do. We’ll have some barbecue items. We’ll have a beef rib, fried chicken, chicken fried steak. It’s good comfort food.”

Killen says he’s still working on the details. Sides like mac and cheese and the green beans from Killen’s Barbecue are obvious additions. He’s also got memories of eating soul food at a Pearland restaurant called Big Mama’s that served braised pork chops and dirty rice; he thinks he could put his spin on those dishes, too. Specials like meatloaf and versions of Killen’s staples like pork belly will also be included.  

...When the restaurant will open is also still uncertain. Technically, Killen’s contract with Braun gives him three weeks to inspect the building and walk away if it doesn’t meet his standards, but he doesn’t expect to find anything that would trigger that option. After all, Hickory Hollow only closed in January. Depending on the timing required to receive permits, Killen's could open in as little as four months.

Changes will be fairly straightforward: new paint, new floors, reconfiguring the restrooms for better flow, and opening up the kitchen (a Killen’s design signature). He’ll swap out the restaurant’s current barbecue pit for a newer model. With construction complete on the new Killen’s Steakhouse in The Woodlands, his contractor is ready to begin work as soon as possible.

“We should be able to do what we need to do with what they’re giving us [in ‘tenant improvement’ funds],” Killen says. “They gave us the option to purchase [the building]. That’s what took us a long time to get it in the lease. They’re excited to have us there, and with how many other locations they have, it’ll be a good relationship with them.”

The feeling is mutual, according to Braun leasing director Zach Wolf. “We are thrilled to be bringing Ronnie Killen to the inner loop,” he says. “Hickory Hollow was an institution for 40 years, and we know Killen’s will continue that tradition.”

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-25-19-ronnie-killen-new-restaurant-killens-comfort-food-101-heights-hickory-hollow-braun-enterprises/

This was in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by mollusk, March 25, 2019 in the thread for 101 Heights Blvd.

And just when I thought my arteries were safe(er)... :ph34r:

This was in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by august948, March 25, 2019 in the thread for 101 Heights Blvd.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, mollusk said:

And just when I thought my arteries were safe(er)... :ph34r:

Your arteries will never be safe here.  Nor will mine.

This was in the previous thread for 101 Heights Blvd. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, March 26, 2019 in the thread for 101 Heights Blvd.

The BBQ quality will be very high in this area with Truth BBQ down the street. 

Originally posted by skooljunkie, March 27, 2019 in the thread for 101 Heights Blvd.

On 3/26/2019 at 12:10 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

The BBQ quality will be very high in this area with Truth BBQ down the street. 

Plus, isn't Otto's still building at Durham and Lillian? (Is that quality? I dunno.) BBQ Bonanza!

On 3/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, august948 said:

Your arteries will never be safe here.  Nor will mine.

Pack those arterial nooks and crannies with some dessert within walking distance at future Voodoo Doughnuts!

Originally posted by august948, March 27, 2019 in the thread for 101 Heights Blvd.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, skooljunkie said:

Plus, isn't Otto's still building at Durham and Lillian? (Is that quality? I dunno.) BBQ Bonanza!

Pack those arterial nooks and crannies with some dessert within walking distance at future Voodoo Doughnuts!

They're gonna need an emergency clinic within staggering distance, too.😛

• The title was changed to 101 Heights Blvd
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Killen's is opening this week.  It will be interesting to see how many restaurants in the pipeline before the virus will be able to open and stay afloat until there is a vaccine.  I can see Killen having the resources to book some losses in order to hold on to a prime location.  But other one off and smaller ventures may not be able to hang on for very long.  I have family in the PNW that owns a restaurant in Seattle.  They have only reopened for take out and are basically down to the chef, manager and one sous chef.  They are just trying to keep up enough cash flow to keep their lease and have a few bucks to pay their bills until better times come around.  

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/ronnie-killen-houston-texas-restaurant-first-loop-15489054

• The title was changed to 101 Heights Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Killen’s Restaurant At 101 Heights Blvd.

Archived