Hollyfield Cleaners Building At 1731 Westheimer Rd.

CrockpotandGravel

This was  in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before that's relevant since the original thread and other content from me were removed. Archive link coming soon.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, September 20,, 2017 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

Davis Commercial released updated renderings of the redeveloped Westheimer Flea Market at 1731 Westheimer.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20358415/1731-Westheimer-Rd-Houston-TX/ 

3QOly6o.jpg

FzOlIEM.jpg

lmW1Tic.jpg

2QyHOet.jpg

This was  in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before that's relevant since the original thread and other content from me were removed. Archive link coming soon.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, September 20,, 2017 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

Site plan and proposed parking plans for Davis Commercial's redevelopment of Westheimer Flea Market at 1731 Westheimer. ( taken from the leasing brochure)

tHQYhZq.jpg

cHmhZpe.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, October 5,, 2017 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

As much as we hate the parking, I think this fits in so well with the neighborhood.

Originally posted by lockmat, November 15,, 2017 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:15 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I think there is some major overreaction here. The antique store next to this place is not in the greatest shape overall for future urban development. The lot is going to be behind the building. We always complain why developers don't do this, and now that they are SAVING a historic structure and keeping parking in the back, we are STILL complaining. I would be more upset if the furniture place next door was the structure being demolished for parking. In many ways this is a win for the area imo. 

Yours among other comments in this thread were quoted in Nancy's Looped In podcast. 

Originally posted by  j_cuevas713, November 15,, 2017 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:08 AM, lockmat said:

Yours among other comments in this thread were quoted in Nancy's Looped In podcast. 

Wow really? lol

Originally posted by lockmat, November 17,, 2017 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:29 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow really? lol

Two of them, actually. One was on the parking podcast and the other on the subject of this thread.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, February 22,, 2018 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

The Toasted Cafe is opening in Montrose at the redeveloped Westheimer Flea Market space (the old Hollyfield Cleaners building). The location is 1731 Westheimer.

From Facebook:

Join the Toasted Yolk Cafe in Lower Westheimer HIstoric Retail Redevelopment/7,000 sf Avail/Houston, Tx

0nBmvWH.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/daviscommericalrealestate/posts/1599526843496959

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, April 5,, 2019 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

In a look at the transformation of Lower Westheimer, Houston Chronicle's Nancy Sarnoff spoke with Mark Davis of Davis Commercial.

From the article, a portion on the Westheimer Flea Market at 1731 Westheimer in Montrose (the old Hollyfield Cleaners building):

Davis is part of an investment group redeveloping a historic, 5,000-square-foot building at 1731 Westheimer. The group is asking $68 per square foot for the space.

“It’s expensive,” he noted. “We’re pushing the envelope. In this area we’re broaching some new ground.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Revival-of-Lower-Westheimer-draws-offbeat-niche-13741908.php

From the Houston Chronicle article linked above:

1731 Westheimer, a historic building, was developed for a commercial cleaners and most recently housed an antique shop. A new owner is marketing the space for lease Thursday, April 4, 2019, in Houston. (Photo: Steve Gonzales, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer)

UkebLAq.jpg
(original link)

AnKTTAg.jpg
(original link)

ZBK63Om.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Luminare, August 11,, 2019 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

This site has gotten very complicated. Right now they are leasing the spaces as "popup retail":

XZXleqD.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, August 12,, 2019 in the previous thread for Hollyfield Cleaners Building | 1731 Westheimer | Winlow Place.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, Luminare said:

This site has gotten very complicated. Right now they are leasing the spaces as "popup retail":

Davis Commercial was interviewed by Houston Chronicle about the Hollyfield Cleaners building in Montrose (the article or podcast is linked in this thread). Davis said the parking situation is preventing tenants from leasing this building.

Hopdoddy Burger Bar wanted to open at the 1731 Westheimer building, but the parking steered them away to Rice Village. The Toasted Yolk was also looking at this space for a minute, but eventually decided to open on Washington Ave in the Kitchen 713 restaurant space.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:32 PM, Toopicky said:

There is some parking behind the building, but actual needs will be dictated by the establishments  .... restaurants need more, dental offices need less etc.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:49 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait, so they are trying to lease the building without parking? 

Parking really is one of the biggest hurdles from areas like these exploding with more activity. I've stated in another thread (can't remember) that I've seen projects go dormant or revived simply due to parking requirements. You can tell there are people ready to jump onto areas and neighborhoods like this, but the minimum requirements really hamstring the development process. Its a real shame.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Hollyfield Cleaners Building 1731 Westheimer
  • 2 years later...
On 1/20/2022 at 6:38 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I scrolled through the posts from 2020 to the present and couldn't locate any mention of the potential retailers in one of the early marketing brochures for Montrose Collective. The only post I found included a few (like Van Leeuwen, La La Land, and a few others), but it didn't list all the prospective tenants listed.

In the earlier marketing brochures, Barcelona Wine Bar and Bartaco were listed as businesses interested in opening at Montrose Collective. Both restaurants were removed from later brochures.

However, last week I came across a LLC for Barcelona Montrose LLC. It's tied to the restaurant group operating other Barcelona and Bartaco locations. Does anyone know if Barcelona has signed on to open at Montrose Collective after all? Or will this open elsewhere in the Montrose area (that's not part of the Montrose Collective mixed-use)?

Barcelona / Barcelona Wine Bar is opening its Houston location at 1731 Westheimer Rd. It's also a tapas restaurant.

The restaurant and its sister concept Bartaco have been eyeing the Houston market for a few years. According to previous marketing materials for Montrose Collective, both restaurants showed interest in the development. 

The parking lot is currently home to a food truck park that may be named Montrose Food Park. I don't know if the food truck will continue to operate in the parking lot. I'm assuming the food trailers will probably relocate or find new locations to set up shop so there's room for customers' vehicles.

https://barcelonawinebar.com

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
Website added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Barcelona / Barcelona Wine Bar is opening its Houston location at 1731 Westheimer Rd. It's also a tapas restaurant.

The restaurant and its sister concept Bartaco have been eyeing the Houston market for a few years. According to previous marketing materials for Montrose Collective, both restaurants showed interest in the development. 

The parking lot is currently home to a food truck park that may be named Montrose Food Park. I don't know if the food truck will continue to operate in the parking lot. I'm assuming the food trailers will probably relocate or find new locations to set up shop so there's room for customers' vehicles.

This would be a wonderful use for the building. Buildings like this are treasures, and when renovated correctly, they can really be wonderful spaces which provide unmatchable ambiance. 

• Like 4

On 3/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Avossos said:

This would be a wonderful use for the building. Buildings like this are treasures, and when renovated correctly, they can really be wonderful spaces which provide unmatchable ambiance. 

Honestly, as long as most of the building remains in tact, I don't have a preference about the tenant. This is one of the few buildings on Westheimer I like. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:55 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Glad to see a tapas place going in.  There were a bunch around town for a while and then they all closed shop.  Are there any still currently open?

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, hindesky said:

I wonder if they are associated with the Barcelona in Vintage Park?

It is not. Barcelona is a restaurant chain. I mentioned this last month  a few posts above yours ...

I also sent this to Eater, Houston Chronicle, Houston Press, and Houston Business Journal last month. All but Houston Press sat on the news. Houston Press reported this as a rumor last month despite me providing information stating otherwise. According to the person covering restaurant and bar openings/closings for Houston Press, Barcelona claimed there weren't plans for a location in Houston or the Houston area. Clearly, that is not true.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Hollyfield Cleaners Building At 1731 Westheimer Rd.
  • 2 weeks later...

Marketing materials for 1735 Westheimer Rd show surrounding businesses including the forthcoming wine bar and tapas restaurant chain Barcelona at 1731 Westheimer.

The map indicates it's opening Fall 2022. It's possible the opening will be much later like early 2023 or early spring 2023.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Marketing materials for 1735 Westheimer Rd show surrounding businesses including the forthcoming wine bar and tapas restaurant chain Barcelona at 1731 Westheimer.

The map indicates it's opening Fall 2022. It's possible the opening will be much later like early 2023 or early spring 2023.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So there will be both a Barcelona and a BCN in Montrose soon. Interesting.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 4/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, hindesky said:

Architects - https://www.rdstudio-inc.com

I wonder if they are associated with the Barcelona in Vintage Park?

https://www.barcelonavp.com

39daYCH.png3SLqnaT.png

On 6/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, hindesky said:

Barcelona / Barcelona Wine Bar may have a late spring or summertime opening in mind.

Over the weekend, new hiring posts seeking a sous chef and manager. The job listing doesn't mention an opening timeline.

Barcelona is coming to 1731 Westheimer Rd. It will occupy the Hollyfield Cleaners Building in Montrose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 6:33 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Barcelona / Barcelona Wine Bar may have a late spring or summertime opening in mind.

Over the weekend, new hiring posts seeking a sous chef and manager. The job listing doesn't mention an opening timeline.

Barcelona is coming to 1731 Westheimer Rd. It will occupy the Hollyfield Cleaners Building in Montrose.

According to the Google Maps listing for Barcelona / Barcelona Wine Bar, July 7 is the estimated opening. I don't know if it's accurate or not. 

Barcelona is a wine bar and tapas chain. There are several US locations. The Houston restaurant will be located at 1731 Westheimer Rd.

DAm9lMg.png  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

did the trifecta this morning with my best friend leaving to Rome this afternoon to film a movie 🤩... 

Empire Cafe for eggs, bacon, Italian toast and a granita, then Brasil to see my buddy Bucky for coffee....then we went to Agora for a gingerbread cookie (for later i promise 😇 )...

anyway, walked past Barcelona Wine Bar and it looks beautiful outside and inside too...lots of workers inside doing final touches...they just got their permits and are hiring staff and starting training next week so looks like an mid October opening they said!  

• Like 2