Retail Center At 1201 Oliver St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created May 23,, 2017. I'm reposting this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum. The original thread is archived here. 

1201 Oliver Street in the First Ward. This is part of Washington Corridor area (I think).

http://i.imgur.com/NvD3t6X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bam5TYf.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted May 23, 2017  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

Old Loopnet listings:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/13608574/1201-Oliver-St-Houston-TX/

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18875846/1201-Oliver-Street-Houston-TX/

The former Glazier's cooling facility at 1201 Oliver St is being redeveloped by Lovett Commerical.

The property was highlighted for retail redevelopment on a map for another Lovett development, but nothing was listed on the website until recently.

9Zp5oqU.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Originally posted May 23, 2017  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

Here's the proposed retail redevelopment for 1201 Oliver, which includes a cidery, retail, green space, a proposed coffee shop, and restaurant.

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/Detail.aspx?idwebarea=1&webid=331

nEqXU3h.jpg

aEwNlm2.jpg

6AgoHQO.jpg

gNCqtJp.jpg

• Like 2

Originally posted June 19, 2017   in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

From Swamplot:

Another potential future target in striking walking range of that 542-space parking lot Lovett Commercial looks to be planning at Center and Silver streets: the color-splashed warehouse redo sketched out above, as seen in another of the company’s current leasing fliers. This one is for a facelift of the 1970s building former occupied by Mass Electric Construction Company at 1201 Oliver St., a few blocks west down the railroad tracks past Sawyer St.

More here:
http://swamplot.com/washington-warehouses-rainbow-retail-re-doing-could-lie-at-the-end-of-an-extended-edwards-st/2017-06-06/

• Like 1

Originally posted July 23, 2017  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

Frank Lui is renting out 1201 Oliver for events while he and his Lovett Commercial team work on this development. He set up a site with several of the properties he owns called Canvas HTX. Here are pictures from inside 1201 Oliver.

iir4oSK.jpg

PoB6PCX.jpg

iR3aBYh.jpg

HgaWGN8.jpg

gqZ8XCn.jpg

7bWJ92M.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted September 8, 2017  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

The cidery planned for the Lovett Commercial building at 1201 Oliver is HTX Cider.

https://www.htxcider.com

• Like 1

Originally posted January 5, 2018  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

New proposed rendering of Lovett Commercial's 1201 Oliver St in Houston.

7gVJqEK.jpg
http://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/1201-oliver-st-

• Like 2

Originally posted September 1, 2018  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

First reported details on the warehouse redevelopment at 1201 Oliver St from Lovett Commerical.

From Houston Chronicle:

Sawyer Yards, the urban arts enclave spanning several city blocks northwest of downtown, is poised to grow with an expansion that will bring a New Orleans brewery, a local cider maker and a barbecue spot to the Arts District development.

Lovett Commercial, one of the founding developers of the 40-plus-acre project, said it plans to add two buildings within the next two years.

Sawyer Yards, which has been called an "artistic village," houses more than 300 local artists, restaurants, fitness concepts, public galleries and breweries in restored warehouses in the historic First Ward neighborhood.

The first building in the expansion is the conversion of a 65,000 square-foot warehouse at 1201 Oliver Street.

A New Orleans-based brewery will occupy 12,500 square feet, which will include an outdoor beer garden.

Other concepts include a local cidery and "the reopening of a celebrated barbecue house," the developer said.

Renovations should be complete in the spring.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Sawyer-Yards-expands-in-Houston-Art-District-13196724.php

• Like 1

Originally posted September 1, 2018  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here.

More renderings of Lovett Commercial warehouse redevelopment in Houston at 1201 Oliver St

From Houston Chronicle

kogFjwG.jpg

ATnSYB9.jpg

• Like 1

Possibly about 1201 Oliver St, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston:

From PaperCity magazine:

There will be other tenants, depending on how it shakes out so far as square footage. Likely another couple of large restaurants and quite a bit of unique urban entertainment concepts,” Lovett Commercial’s Erin Dyer tells PaperCity.

“A tenant we’re working with is an axe-throwing concept. It’s a fun experience we’re bringing to the campus. We’re able to do that because we have large buildings we’re able to repurpose. It’s hard to find that amount of space in urban Houston.”

“These old buildings — you can’t really create them. It’s an experience in addition to going to a salon or fitness. It’s an experience that you really can’t recreate or mirror simply because of the unique feel to the area,” Clay Mealy of Lovett Commercial adds.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/sawyer-yards-expansion-barbecue-brewery-artists-concerns/

• Like 1

From the 1818 Washington Avenue thread, posts possibly about 1201 Oliver St, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston.

On 9/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, LBC2HTX said:
  On 9/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on 1818 Washington Ave, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion.

PaperCity:

There will be other tenants, depending on how it shakes out so far as square footage. Likely another couple of large restaurants and quite a bit of unique urban entertainment concepts,” Lovett Commercial’s Erin Dyer tells PaperCity.

“A tenant we’re working with is an axe-throwing concept. It’s a fun experience we’re bringing to the campus. We’re able to do that because we have large buildings we’re able to repurpose. It’s hard to find that amount of space in urban Houston.”

“These old buildings — you can’t really create them. It’s an experience in addition to going to a salon or fitness. It’s an experience that you really can’t recreate or mirror simply because of the unique feel to the area,” Clay Mealy of Lovett Commercial adds.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/sawyer-yards-expansion-barbecue-brewery-artists-concerns/#166090

On 9/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, Visitor said:
On 9/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on 1818 Washington Ave, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion.

PaperCity:

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/sawyer-yards-expansion-barbecue-brewery-artists-concerns/#166090

Are you sure this is relative to 1818 Washington and not the "two building expansion" of Sawyer Yards over the next 2 years?  There is no building being repurposed at 1818. It's all new construction.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, Avossos said:

Are you sure this is relative to 1818 Washington and not the "two building expansion" of Sawyer Yards over the next 2 years?  There is no building being repurposed at 1818. It's all new construction.

I am 100% confident the axe-throwing business will be located in the renovated buildings that will hold the cidery and brewery... off Oliver

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 6:17 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

A New Orleans-based brewery will occupy 12,500 square feet, which will include an outdoor beer garden.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Sawyer-Yards-expands-in-Houston-Art-District-13196724.php

The New Orleans-based brewery coming to 1201 Oliver St, part of Houston's Sawyer Yards expansion may be  Urban South Brewery.

The guy at Houston Beer Guide asked about the New Orleans brewery on his Facebook. Someone claims to have sources that know that's the brewery opening there.

https://www.facebook.com/HoustonBeerGuide/posts/2386523248026201?comment_id=2386790124666180&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R3"}

https://old.reddit.com/r/HoustonBeer/comments/9d5x0i/an_acclaimed_new_orleans_brewery_and_a_local/e5gl840/

• Like 1

Originally posted September 7, 2018  in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Another tenant maybe opening at 1201 Oliver St, the Lovett Commerical development part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston:

Jack's Dog Resort, a dog daycare service.
https://www.jacks.dog/

Here's video about the business and it includes a brief look inside the space at 1201 Oliver St:

https://vimeo.com/269235100

• Like 1

Originally posted in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by HoustonBeerJosh, September 7, 2018 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Thanks for the Houston Beer Guide shoutout! A link to this post was shared on our Facebook page talking about the Chronicle article. This site is pretty cool - you’ll probably see more of me around here. 

To clear things up a little bit (or make things worse?), I reached out to Urban South, the New Orleans-based brewery alluded to in the Chronicle article. They’re definitely planning a Houston brewery, but the developer got ahead of themselves in announcing this. I’m not sure if that’s just because it will be a year or two before the brewery is open, or if the location hasn’t been finalized on Urban South’s end. 

I’ve also been told that there is a distillery planning to open in this space as well. 

• Like 1

Originally posted in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.  It may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by asubrt, September 8, 2018 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

I've heard the same about Urban South from someone who knows the owner, sounds like probably 2019 opening. They brew great beer and their brewery in New Orleans is very cool, a big warehouse-y space (think Eureka Heights or 11 Below) that's a fun spot to hang out and watch spots or play games. They had a Saints game on when I was there and it was a great environment. Hopefully we get something similar in this location.

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, November 26 2018 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Map from a Lovett Commercial brochure with the 1201 Oliver St development highlighted with the first confirmation from Lovett of HTX Cider. This is part of the Sawyer Yard expansion.

C3sRlRg.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, February 7 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

On 9/7/2018 at 6:00 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The New Orleans-based brewery coming to 1201 Oliver St, part of Houston's Sawyer Yards expansion may be  Urban South Brewery.

The guy at Houston Beer Guide asked about the New Orleans brewery on his Facebook. Someone claims to have sources that know that's the brewery opening there.

https://www.facebook.com/HoustonBeerGuide/posts/2386523248026201?comment_id=2386790124666180&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R3"}

https://old.reddit.com/r/HoustonBeer/comments/9d5x0i/an_acclaimed_new_orleans_brewery_and_a_local/e5gl840/

On 9/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, HoustonBeerJosh said:

Thanks for the Houston Beer Guide shoutout! A link to this post was shared on our Facebook page talking about the Chronicle article. This site is pretty cool - you’ll probably see more of me around here. 

To clear things up a little bit (or make things worse?), I reached out to Urban South, the New Orleans-based brewery alluded to in the Chronicle article. They’re definitely planning a Houston brewery, but the developer got ahead of themselves in announcing this. I’m not sure if that’s just because it will be a year or two before the brewery is open, or if the location hasn’t been finalized on Urban South’s end. 

I’ve also been told that there is a distillery planning to open in this space as well. 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:06 PM, asubrt said:

I've heard the same about Urban South from someone who knows the owner, sounds like probably 2019 opening. They brew great beer and their brewery in New Orleans is very cool, a big warehouse-y space (think Eureka Heights or 11 Below) that's a fun spot to hang out and watch spots or play games. They had a Saints game on when I was there and it was a great environment. Hopefully we get something similar in this location.

Urban South Brewery will have a brewery and taproom in Houston. There is a building permit for Urban South Brewery in the new phase of Sawyer Yards at 1201 Oliver St, Suite 10.

RjygsIb.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by skooljunkie, February 8 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Cool. I was at the one near the Garden District a few months ago. There was “beer choir” practice and lots of arcade games for kids. Fun and quirky. 

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 2 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Urban South Brewery announced the expansion to Houston publicly.

From Eater Houston:

The largest craft beer brewery in New Orleans picked Houston for its first foray out of Louisiana. Urban South Brewery plans to open up a Houston brewery this fall, bringing a 14,000-square-foot location to 1201 Oliver Street in Houston’s Sawyer Yards district. The Houston brewery will include a 10-barrel brewhouse and canning line, along with a public taproom with a large patio and beer garden.

“Houston was an easy choice for our first satellite brewery. The connections between the city and New Orleans run deep, and we love that their craft beer culture is forward-thinking, innovative and rapidly growing,” founder Jacob Landry said in a press release. “We’re excited to be a part of this creative community, sharing the grassroots gospel of good beer in the South.”

Right now, Urban South Brewery’s known for brews like Holy Roller IPA and a lager called Paradise Park, but the Sawyer Yards will create Houston-specific beers too.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/5/2/18527230/urban-south-brewery-houston-coming-soon

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 3 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:51 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Possibly about 1201 Oliver St, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston:

From PaperCity magazine:

On 9/7/2018 at 5:54 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From the 1818 Washington Avenue thread, posts possibly about 1201 Oliver St, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, Avossos said:

I am 100% confident the axe-throwing business will be located in the renovated buildings that will hold the cidery and brewery... off Oliver

The axe throwing bar opening at 1201 Oliver St is Urban Axes.

This is part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston.

https://urbanaxes.com/houston/sawyerheights/

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 3 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Updated rendering of 1201 Oliver St showing Urban South Brewery. 

This is part of the Sawyer Yards District expansion in Houston.

Posted originally in the Sawyer Yards thread:

On 5/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

New Orleans brewery taps Houston to open big new brewhouse in Sawyer Yards

Urban South Brewery, a crowd-pleasing brewery that is a fixture on the New Orleans hops-loving scene, is planning to open a 14,000-square-foot brewery in Houston.

The brewhouse, which will include a brewing facility, canning line and 3,500-square-foot beer garden, will go up at 1201 Oliver in the Sawyer Yards complex of industrial warehouses, art studios, galleries and restaurants. The 10-barrel brewhouse, canning line and public taproom is expected to open in fall 2019.

"Houston was an easy choice for our first satellite brewery," said Jacob Landry, who founded Urban South in 2016 in New Orleans' Lower Garden District. "The connections between the city and New Orleans run deep, and we love that their craft beer culture is forward-thinking, innovative and rapidly growing. We're excited to be a part of this creative community, sharing the grassroots gospel of good beer in the south."

The Houston project will be led by brewmaster Dave Ohmer, formerly with B-52 Brewing Co. in Conroe. According to a press release Ohmer will bring his popular hazy IPAs, stouts and barrel-aged sours to Urban South, which already produces beers such as Charming Wit (brewed with coriander and orange peel), Paradise Park (an American lager), Coop'd Up (a soured farmhouse ale), and Carpe Rose (a cider ale with a cranberry finish). There will be 16 rotating taps in Houston, taproom tastings and beer-to-go options.

Urban South will make beer only to sell onsite. According to Nola.com, "The beers in Houston will be more challenging and experimental, closer to what Urban South sells now at the brewery than the more crowd pleasing beers it distributes to retailers.

This will be Urban South's first brewery outside Louisiana.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/New-Orleans-brewery-taps-Houston-to-open-big-new-13816643.php

6iaEwdO.jpg
(direct link to image: link 1, link 2)

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 4 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

On 9/7/2018 at 6:07 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another tenant maybe opening at 1201 Oliver St, the Lovett Commerical development part of the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston:

Jack's Dog Resort, a dog daycare service.
https://www.jacks.dog/

Here's video about the business and it includes a brief look inside the space at 1201 Oliver St:

https://vimeo.com/269235100

Jack's Dog Resort, the dog daycare, may no longer be opening at the Sawyer Yards expansion on 1201 Oliver St.

There is an address listed for 4620 Center St.

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 5 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

The cidery for the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston at 1201 Oliver St changed names.

Instead of HTX Cider,  the name is City Orchard.

https://cityorchardhtx.com

More about City Orchard  found online in a job posting (archive link )

City Orchard is an urban cidery located in the heart of Houston.  With 5000 ft2 of production and 5,000 ft2 of tasting room and outdoor deck, City Orchard will be a busy, yet relaxing space to enjoy locally-produced cider and beer and selected wines.  Food that pairs well with cider will be served on premise.

The creation of local cidermakers, Mat Smith and Patrick Kwiatkowski, City Orchard produces hard ciders in Houston from the highest quality, personally selected cider apples from the Great Lakes Region.

Originally from New York and Michigan, since 2000 Smith and Kwiatkowski have called Houston their adopted home.  Mat’s family orchards are on the shores of Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario and City Orchard’s fruit is currently sourced from the Smith Brothers Farm or nearby friends and neighboring farms.   City Orchard hand selects apples, brings them down to Houston and creates the wonderful cider that Great Lakes apples make.

An urban cidery is just like one among the orchard – the apples just sneak in on a truck.

Although City Orchard has deep roots in Great Lakes Apple Country, this is HTX-made cider.  We bring the country’s best orchards to you in a bottle.  Managing the process from tree to glass, City Orchard is an orchard in the city.

Also this about City Orchard found here (archive link )

Food: Pizza, Crepes, Salads / Sandwiches / Soups, American, French

Bar / Lounge, Food Truck / Stand, Wine Bar

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 5 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Updated site plan of possible tenants for the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston at 1201 Oliver St.

Also includes changes in design from the old site plan above. This development may also include office spaces.

From Lovett Commercial website (archive )

wPh4dEy.jpg

(direct link here) 

On 9/1/2018 at 6:17 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

First reported details on the warehouse redevelopment at 1201 Oliver St from Lovett Commercial.

From Houston Chronicle:

Sawyer Yards, the urban arts enclave spanning several city blocks northwest of downtown, is poised to grow with an expansion that will bring... a barbecue spot to the Arts District development.

The first building in the expansion is the conversion of a 65,000 square-foot warehouse at 1201 Oliver Street...

Other concepts include... "the reopening of a celebrated barbecue house," the developer said.

The celebrated barbecue restaurant reopening at 1201 Oliver St in Houston is Fainmous BBQ. 

This is opening in the Sawyer Yards expansion as shown in the site plan in the post above.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, May 13 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

All tenants posted above officially announced for Sawyer Yards at 1201 Oliver in Houston in a press release.

From Houston Chronicle:

Axe throwing, barbecue, craft beer and cider are coming together in the newest phase of Sawyer Yards, an urban enclave spanning several city blocks northwest of downtown.

Developer Lovett Commercial said several new tenants have signed leases for space in a 65,000-square-foot warehouse at 1201 Oliver St. that's being converted to house retailers and creative office space. The tenants include:

Urban Axes, an indoor recreational ax-throwing facility, which will be the company's eighth outpost and will occupy 10,300 square feet.

City Orchard, Mat Smith and Patrick Kwiatkowski's cidery that will produce hard ciders from apples from the Great Lakes region.

Fainmous BBQ, a Tennessee-style barbecue restaurant with an eatery in southwest Houston.

Urban South, a New Orleans craft brewery, which will occupy 12,500 square feet.

The new concepts are expected to open this fall.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/New-tenants-announced-for-First-Ward-s-Sawyer-13836257.php

Originally posted by Crock, May 14 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

so close yet so far away from the rest of sawyer yards, wonder if this spurs any beautification/sidewalk building on center st....

kinda worried at how many adventurous tipsy revelers will end up taking either of the rail easement between this and holler/poiton/etc

Originally posted by Avossos, May 15 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:58 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated site plan of possible tenant for the Sawyer Yards expansion in Houston at 1201 Oliver St.

Also includes changes in design from the old site plan above. This development may also include office spaces.

From Lovett Commercial website (archive )

wPh4dEy.jpg
(direct link here) 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:37 PM, crock said:

so close yet so far away from the rest of sawyer yards, wonder if this spurs any beautification/sidewalk building on center st....

kinda worried at how many adventurous tipsy revelers will end up taking either of the rail easement between this and holler/poiton/etc.  

If you look around Center Street, and just to the left of 1201 Oliver, there are numerous cool warehouses. The one west of this Oliver property maybe the coolest / oldest. It is brick inside with awesome soffits and wood work. That one MUST be saved. The ones between Center Street and the railroad are also very cool masonry buildings that I believe should find modern use with some refurbishment...

Really excited about the potential of this area. Old warehouses are my fave.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, May 16 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Updated construction photo of 1201 Oliver St in Houston.

This is part of the Sawyer Yards District expansion.

From the website of Houstonia magazine:

LjbXL3y.jpg

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, May 16 2019 in the previous thread for 1201 Oliver St | Dock High District.

Renderings of City Orchard. This is under construction at 1201 Oliver St in Houston, part of the Sawyer Yards expansion.

Renderings are from XPND Studio or Expanded Studio's website:

https://www.expanded.studio/#/city-orchard/  (archive link)

CITY ORCHARD

Houston’s first and only specifically designed cidery.

The program was developed to include roughly 2,000sf of tasting room space in an 8,000 sf warehouse facility in Houston’s developing Arts District.

Services Performed:
Interior Architecture
Furniture Design
Lighting Design and Coordination
Facility Design and Space Planning

Under construction May 2019.

The Tasting Room

o8xTR8b.jpg

The bar in the tasting room
fd2DTkN.jpg

Gt5QIHn.jpg

zDZ16CN.jpg