East End Backyard At 1105 Sampson St.

I think this is one of the threads that disappeared

They are making slow progress - their original opening date in October won't be happening unfortunately

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/east-end-backyard

https://www.facebook.com/eastendbackyard/

48937910518_32870c29d5_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 4

This was  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St. I't may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive link to original thread here.

1105 Sampson St in Houston
78wRQpR.jpg

Google Street View from October 2018

4j2sGPp.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

This was  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St. I't may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive link to original thread here.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel,, May 8, 2019 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

Former Houston Dynamo Brian Ching is opening a bar at 1105 Sampson St in Houston.

The name of the bar is East End Backyard (also had the name of East End Garden)

http://eastendbackyard.com/

There is a NextSeed investor sourcing campaign for East End Backyard:
https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/east-end-backyard/

From the NextSeed  campaign's website:

East End Backyard, a 20,000-square-foot indoor/outdoor dog-friendly neighborhood bar, will be a sustainable, community-oriented space where residents of the area can come for a relaxing, enjoyable time outside, right in the heart of Houston.

• EaDo’s new community-oriented, dog-friendly neighborhood bar

• Founded by Brian Ching, ex-Houston Dynamo star and owner of Pitch 25

• One of downtown Houston’s largest patio bars, on a 20,000-square-foot plot

• Featuring specialty cocktails made with produce grown on-site in their community garden

• Food trucks operating daily under partnership agreements with the bar

• Expansion opportunities with additional plots earmarked for leasing to complimentary businesses

East End Backyard, a 20,000-square-foot indoor/outdoor dog-friendly neighborhood bar, will be an affordable, relaxed social venue and community hub for Houston’s East Downtown neighborhood, from former Houston Dynamo star and owner of nearby Pitch 25, Brian Ching.

Witnessing firsthand the rapid development in EaDo where Pitch 25 is located, Ching noticed that many of the new residential properties being built lacked usable outdoor space. East End Backyard was conceived to give the neighborhood’s residents a casual space where they could gather outside, bring their dogs, and relax with friends and neighbors in their own backyard.Built inside of a refurbished home original to the property, East End Backyard will have an inviting, laid-back, lived-in feel. The bar’s massive patio and attached dog park will be one of the largest pet-friendly outdoor bar spaces in the neighborhood, featuring an expansive lawn, fire pit, lawn games, and community garden.

The community garden will be an exciting and integral part of the overall experience. Finding sustainable, natural environments in the quickly developing EaDo area isn’t easy, but East End Backyard’s large outdoor plot will provide a beautiful outdoor setting, as well as fresh produce to be used in the bar’s specialty drinks. The garden's natural aesthetic will spill into the interior design as well, creating a lush and calming atmosphere.

Inside, a diverse range of beer options ranging from local brews to crowd-pleasing domestic taps will round out the cocktail menu offered by the full-service bar. East End Backyard will forego a traditional kitchen and instead have a constant rotation of food trucks on site, including Hula Dog, Ching’s Hawaiian-influenced hotdog concept. One or two trucks will be on site at all times, ensuring there’s always something to eat no matter when people choose to visit. 

Event space will be in abundance, and the team is already plotting quarterly cookouts, gardening classes, and summer slip ’n' slide parties for when the Houston heat kicks into high gear. Local musicians will provide live entertainment, and an assortment of lawn games including croquet and badminton will always be available for customers to enjoy.

As Houston’s population growth continues in increasingly dense urban areas, outdoor space is a luxury that many have to live without. At East End Backyard, the EaDo community will have a neighborhood backyard to call their own.

With East End Backyard, Ching is aiming to provide an incredible community-focused, service-oriented, dog-friendly outdoor space for the burgeoning neighborhood. As the largest outdoor patio bar in the area, East End Backyard will have more than enough space to host the residents of EaDo and their canine companions. A community-focused business, the bar will use Ching’s connections to forge local partnerships with food trucks, allowing him to eliminate the high overhead cost of running his own kitchen.

• Like 1

This was  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St. I't may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive link to original thread here.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel,, May 8, 2019 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

Renderings of East End Backyard bar. This is located at 1105 Sampson St in Houston.

From the website and NextSeed investing website:

nT3a22I.jpg

CqNlxk1.jpg

u1cymJY.jpg

1u1hTTu.jpg

• Like 1

This was  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St. I't may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive link to original thread here.

A promotional video of of East End Backyard bar. This is located at 1105 Sampson St in Houston.

http://eastendbackyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/EastEndBackyard.mp4

https://vimeo.com/329675443

• Like 1

There's also this on the other houses on the site of 1105 Sampson St in Houston (from the NextSeed website):

Once the bar has established itself, the team behind the project has plans to add an overhead cover, heaters, and misters to the patio, turning it into a year-round space. They will then convert two of the seven original buildings located on the property into a coffee shop and a taco bar. Both of these sublet properties on East End Backyard’s site will complement the existing business and provide additional streams of revenue since Ching has a master lease allowing him to collect income from subleases.

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel,, May 8, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

From Houston Chronicle on East End Backyard bar. This is located at 1105 Sampson St in Houston.

Brian Ching has already proved he's as skilled in the food and beverage business as he was when he proudly wore Dynamo orange.

The former Houston Dynamo forward, who opened the Pitch 25 beer park in EaDo last year, announced a new bar project Wednesday: a casual, dog-friendly neighborhood bar called East End Backyard.

Also in the EaDo neighborhood, the new bar, sporting an enormous 20,000-square-foot patio, will be called East End Backyard. It is expected to open in the fall.

"I've watched the EaDo neighborhood change dramatically since I joined the Dynamo in 2006," said Ching, who announced in January he was stepping down as managing director of the Houston Dash to focus on entrepreneurial interests. "One of the downsides to a lot of the new townhouses that are being built is that people don't have any outdoor space for themselves or their pets. We wanted to create somewhere in the area people could go to socialize in an affordable, laidback environment, and enjoy the benefits of having a backyard even if they don't own one themselves. We want this to feel like the biggest backyard in Houston."

East End Backyard, 1105 Sampson, will serve local and domestic beer, cocktails form a full bar, its own community garden, and food options. The patio will offer lawn games, live local music, events, and food trucks.

Even before he opens his expansive backyard, Ching is already planning on expanding it. Once it's up and running, he plans to grow the space with additional food and beverage tenants including a Hawaiian coffee shop.

"The bar is just the beginning," he said. "Our ultimate goal is to make East End Backyard a sustainable, community-oriented space, where the residents of the area feel they can come for a relaxing, enjoyable time outside, while still being in the heart of Houston. EaDo is my favorite neighborhood in the city, it's the most exciting neighborhood in the city, and my hope is that East End Backyard really helps it feel more like that: a neighborhood."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Brian-Ching-to-open-new-neighborhood-bar-in-EaDo-13829947.php

• Like 1

Originally posted by thedistrict84, May 9, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

This will be a great addition to the Sampson/York corridor. Glad to see Brian building on the success of Pitch 25 and committing to invest further in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, May 9, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

Any estimates as to how long it could be before this happens?

Im assuming since it's on Nextseed, he's still getting funding....then  he has to let the various renter's leases expire, etc....I have no idea what all is involved in doing something like this.. 

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, May 9, 2019  in the previous thread for  1105 Sampson St.

Another rendering with a different sign of East End Backyard. This is located at 1105 Sampson St in Houston

From Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/eastendbackyard/

33Oe7eA.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, May 9, 2019  in the previous thread for  1105 Sampson St.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, May 11, 2019  in the previous thread for  1105 Sampson St.

wPszs6K.jpg
Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

• Like 1

Originally posted by ljchou, August 6, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

What are we looking at here?

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, August 7, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

The lot where East End Backyard will eventually be located if they get funding

• Like 1

This was  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St. I't may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed (also helps for previous content to be reported so it's searchable and visible through Google).  Archive link to original thread here.

Originally posted by lcjhou, August 7, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

Looks like they began construction earlier this summer.

(There were photos attached to this post, but since every thread started by me (along with all of my posts) is gone, so are attachments others posted)

• Like 1

This was  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St. I't may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed (also helps for previous content to be reported so it's searchable and visible through Google).  Archive link to original thread here.

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown,  August 7, 2019   in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

Oh wow - I haven't seen any action around the area....I will take another look today to see if I can see where they are working

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown,  August 7, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

They are working on one of the homes...I assumed they would build in the empty lot behind these homes - I wonder if they are taking over the whole block - homes and all ?

xH3vt7y.jpg

0vNwa9v.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Luminare,  August 10, 2019  in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St

I've been wondering the same as well. On the map I've plotted it to be the full block, but that is just a hunch. If anyone else is able to get more specifics that would be great.

• Like 1

Originally posted by ljchou ,  August 10, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St

https://eastendbackyard.com/

If you click the logo it gives you a brief fly around of the property. Says 1300 sqft indoor area, 20k sqft outdoor area including patio and community gardens. Slated to open in October 2019 per the latest updates on Nextseed.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown,  August 20, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

It looks like the houses on the edge of the property are being vacated - all the cars are gone except one, no more dogs and a huge mound of trash and furniture outside.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown,  September 4, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

The houses around the edge have "for sale to be moved" signs on them.  

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to knock them down - or do they have some historical significance ?

7JTeOUD.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by phillip_white,  September 5, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:40 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

The houses around the edge have "for sale to be moved" signs on them.  

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to knock them down - or do they have some historical significance ?

48679757107_12aa9f975d_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Paying to tear them down is a lot more expensive than selling them to someone who will pay to move them off the lot. This does hint at long timeline until the property is developed though, unless they are giving them away.

• Like 1

Originally posted by lcjhou,  September 20, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

New demolition videos on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eastendbackyard/

• Like 1

Originally posted by crock,  September 25, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

the front of the house is now gone and you can see straight through it.  I try to get a picture on my commute every morning but end up not being at the red light long enough to get it.  

i still don't understand who this is for.... everyone that lives in eastwood already loves D&W and/or Lil Dannys.  

• Like 1

Originally posted by thedistrict84,  September 25, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

On 9/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, crock said:

the front of the house is now gone and you can see straight through it.  I try to get a picture on my commute every morning but end up not being at the red light long enough to get it.  

i still don't understand who this is for.... everyone that lives in eastwood already loves D&W and/or Lil Dannys.  

This is a completely different type of establishment though. Brian himself has stated that he intends for it to be a community space for EaDo residents—who tend to be younger professionals—to hang out with their dogs and do typical young professional things (watch sports, play bags/cornhole, etc). It’s looking to target a different type of audience altogether.

I guess I see it as the EaDo/East End equivalent to some of the relatively recent popular additions to Shady Acres, such as Wicklow Heights or Bungalow Heights. 

As an East End resident, I like D&W, LDSGFAKL, and other dive/pseudo dive bars in the area, but this isn’t even remotely trying to be the same kind of place.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown,  September 25, 2019 in the previous thread for 1105 Sampson St.

NI8co4b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...