Star Engraving Company Building At 3201 Allen Pkwy.

silverartfox

3201 Allen Parkway is the reimagining of the former Star Engraving Company Building into a modern retail, creative office and restaurant project in the heart of Inner Loop Houston.

Formally home to the Houston Children’s Museum, the Anza Falco Museum of Art and Design, and the Stages Theatre.

The redevelopment was designed by Perkins + Will.  The landscape architect is SWA Group, and Perrin Projects handled the interior design.

I just received a gallery invitation to view the architect's drawings for this new Houston museum. It's slated to open in 2010, first in some sort of temporary building and later in a permanent structure.

This is the first I've heard about it. There's virtually nothing on the internet as to location or funding and very little about its purpose.

Information, anyone?

• Like 1

I just received a gallery invitation to view the architect's drawings for this new Houston museum. It's slated to open in 2010, first in some sort of temporary building and later in a permanent structure.

This is the first I've heard about it. There's virtually nothing on the internet as to location or funding and very little about its purpose.

Information, anyone?

Did the gallery invitation have a date & address? Invitations usually do. Maybe it's sooper seekrit.

I found a blog of truly spectacular opacity. No information was forthcoming but there's prose. Here's a snip:

"My answer to you will consist of a host of interrelated arguments. One argument relating to the alternative character of the museum is that it does not fit within the conventional definition of a museum of design for the reason that its focus goes beyond the simple presentation of international trends and designers and into the exploration of the complex relationship between the emergence of design as an artistic, technological, economic and social force in the past one hundred years and the international artistic trends and diverse ideologies that filled the nineteenth, twenty and twenty first centuries and that had a constituting influence on its development and expansion".

Somebody's been reading The Marcel Duchamp Joke Book.

The exhibit opening is at the space125gallery on the evening of June 3. It's located in the Center for the Arts Building on Allen Parkway.

Yes, I saw that blog, too. Thank goodness I didn't have to read any academic publications, theses or dissertations by the person who wrote it!

• 10 years later...

Originally posted February 16, 2018 in the thread for 3201 Allen Parkway | 3201 Allen Pkwy | Mixed Use. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

From Houston Business Journal:

Radom Capital is set to redevelop the old Stages Repertory Theatre building and an adjacent warehouse at 3201 Allen Parkway, Steve Radom told the Houston Business Journal. Both properties will be redeveloped into a 45,000-square-foot, two-story mixed-use project that'll include creative offices, retail, restaurants and hospitality. Construction on the mixed-use development will begin in late 2019, Radom said.

“We are excited to refresh one of Houston’s most beautiful buildings," Barton Kelly, vice president of Radom Capital, said in a statement. "Careful attention will be paid to preserving and accentuating the building’s historical details."

The construction timeline accommodates Stages' plans to occupy the property until late 2019, when it'll move into its new $30.5 million, three-theater complex dubbed The Gordy.

Radom Capital acquired the properties in 2017 for an undisclosed cost. The future mixed-use project will include 20,000 square feet of green space, an amenity deck on the project's second floor and a 6,000-square-foot patio that'll bridge the Stages building with the warehouse property. The mixed-use project will be connected to Buffalo Bayou Park and its trails, Radom said in a statement.

San Francisco-based Gensler's Houston office will oversee the project's design.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/16/exclusive-heights-mercantile-developer-to-acquire.html

• Like 2

Originally posted February 16, 2018 in the thread for 3201 Allen Parkway | 3201 Allen Pkwy | Mixed Use. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Proposed renderings of the repurposed Stages Repertory Theatre into a mixed-use from Houston Business Journal and leasing brochure:

View from Allen Parkway: Reimagined historical Star Engraving building
U9GAWoc.jpg

View from the corner of Rosine and D'Amico Street: Reimagined warehouse
LfTk1IJ.jpg

View from Rosine Street: Courtyard between reimagined historical Star Engraving building and warehouse
aoNRHz3.jpg

• Like 2

Originally posted February 16, 2018 in the thread for 3201 Allen Parkway | 3201 Allen Pkwy | Mixed Use. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

From Radom Capital's website:

3201 Allen Parkway 
A 1930 Landmark reborn.  3201 Allen will be surgically restored to its original glory and serve as an architecturally unique creative and culinary destination.

https://www.radomcapital.com/copy-of-420-east-20th-street

• Like 1

From the marketing brochure of 3201 Allen Parkway, the former Stages Repertory Theatre.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/8bb064_2dc4918403c344d4be4313f9574bcd2a.pdf

42,000 SF of creative retail, offce and restaurant space available for lease
10,000 SF  of tree-lined gardens
300+ car shared parking garage on-street
25 on-street, metered parking spaces

4vomVdi.jpg

U1sLmhh.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted n the thread for 3201 Allen Parkway | 3201 Allen Pkwy | Mixed Use. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by ekdrm2d1,, June 8, 2019 in the previous thread for 3201 Allen Parkway | 3201 Allen Pkwy | Mixed Use.

FvB9KRP.jpg

p2ocrmJ.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 3201 Allen Parkway
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2020/07/food-news-blendin-coffee-buffalo-bayou-allen-parkway

Food News: Sugar Land Coffee House Expands into Buffalo Bayou-Area Redevelopment

By Timothy Malcolm  7/27/2020 at 10:03am

Blendin_Coffee_Club_Rendering_2_c6cgnh.p

A rendering of the BlendIn Coffee Club space at 3201 Allen Pkwy.

RADOM CAPITAL LLC, THE FIRM BEHIND A REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT at 3201 Allen Pkwy, announced Friday that it had secured signed leases with three tenants, including BlendIn Coffee Club. The coffee house from former scientist Weihong Zhang (with a location in Sugar Land) sources beans from across the world for its drinks and hosts regular coffee grading and tasting classes. 

BlendIn will move into a 1,500-square-foot space adjacent to the lobby of 3201 Allen Pkwy. “We are thrilled to bring our craft coffee and seasonal pastries to this historic building inside Houston’s Inner Loop,” says Zhang. “3201 Allen’s central location and elevated aesthetic is the perfect place to showcase our tree-to-cup approach and variety of offerings.”

The Mediterranean Revival-style property across from Buffalo Bayou Park dates to 1930 and was the former home of Stages Repertory Theatre.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

"surgically restored"?  Will this be done on-site, or will they have to transport it to TMC?
I hope they're planning on using an anesthetic. I'd hate to see it suffer.

Hopefully they don't have to bring in those two reality-show cosmetic surgeons that specialize in implants gone wrong. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, hindesky said:

From the Houston Chronicle today....These 2 pics were taken in 1953 on what was then called Buffalo Drive @ Waugh.

Seems strange to see an actual traffic jam on what's now Allen Parkway. This must have been a major artery to enter downtown from much of the west side of Houston.
I wonder if the traffic jams continued until I-10 opened. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

4MgZW57.jpg

By Matt Dulin | 5:00 AM Feb 1, 2021 CST

Blendin Coffee opened its new location Jan. 29 at 3201 Allen Parkway, Ste. 170, Houston, in the historic Star Engraving Company Building, which has been renovated after serving as the home of Stages Repertory Theater.

The coffee shop’s original Sugar Land location remains open as well. Owner Weihong Zhang, who has a Ph.D. in biochemistry, founded the business in 2017, taking a science-based approach to roasting and brewing coffee.
The renovated building also includes office space tenants Thrasio, an e-commerce firm that builds Amazon-based businesses, the University of Texas-Austin’s Houston office, and the live entertainment booking agency Gulf Coast Entertainment.
  • Like 5