Gotti's Restaurant - 811 St. Emanuel St.

This thread was originally created December 28, 2016. I'm reposting this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum. The original thread is archived here: page 1, page 2.

811 St Emanuel St in EaDo. Currently the site of the Art Hous.

http://i.imgur.com/4adnA5w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uVYPlKn.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted December 28, 2016 in the thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.  Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

The Art Hous at 811 St Emanuel St in EaDo ( East Downtown ) may be undergoing renovations from the inside out soon. It's located next door to Warehouse Live and sits across the street from Papa Charlie's BBQ and Little Woodrow's.

• Like 1

Originally posted December 28, 2016 in the thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.  Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

The Art Hous at 811 St Emanuel St may be adding or converting into a restaurant. There are plans posted on ACS Studio Architecture's website for Burgr Hous. A search shows new records for Burgr Hous at 811 St Emanuel. Here's more about the development of the space:

Burgr Hous is a renovation of a former art warehouse into a new, gourmet restaurant in the East Downtown (EADO) part of Houston, TX. ACS Studio Architecture demolished the entire space, and created an inviting restaurant space for 150 guests in the 2,400sf space.

Here's the site plan for Burgr Hous:

TtqyrZe.jpg

There aren't renderings but pictures on ACS Studio Architecture's website shows interior shots of Wahlburgers ( Donnie and Mark Wahlburg's burger restaurant). The restaurant could be going for a look similar to Wahlburgers.

njS9HAv.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted May 26, 2017 in the thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.  Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Burgr Hous is opening this summer. Construction started in mid-May.

http://burgrhous.com/

• Like 1

Originally from the thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.  Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, June 8, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Originally from the thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.  Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, July 28, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

That didn't take long - Burgr Hous is already closed - For Lease signs up in front of the entrance

• Haha 1

Originally posted by UtterlyUrban, July 28, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

On 7/28/2018 at 6:32 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

That didn't take long - Burgr Hous is already closed - For Lease signs up in front of the entrance

This can’t be true..... its been open maybe....  2 months?  The website is still active and doesn’t mention a closing.  Pictures?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't think it ever opened, every time I went by it was under construction but never actually opened.

It was open for a very short time - my neighbors went and walked out - the service was terrible...not sure about the food as they said they never got their order

• Sad 1

It opened. 

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't think it ever opened, every time I went by it was under construction but never actually opened.

It opened, it was a disaster from what i understand. Employees weren't paid, rent wasn't paid (build out took longer than expected and no cash flow), heard a rumor that the owner offered to pay an employee in coke when payroll didn't go through, and oh yeah, the dude admitted to Eater that he had no restaurant experience aside from having "been to many" in his life. Unfortunately that article is now deleted.

Interesting story all around.

• Sad 1

Went once while it was open.  The food was good (not great but good) but the service was very odd... you ordered at a counter when you walked in (normally this is where you would also pay) but you paid at the table like a normal restaurant.  I don't know I just remember being confused with the service. 

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown July 29, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

SFm1Xqn.jpg
IMG_9993 by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

rLrDcM9.jpg
IMG_9994 by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

• Like 1

Originally posted by HNathoo July 29, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

Man that's rough - to spend that kind of money on a build-out and close up that quickly. Very unfortunate for them. Whoever takes over this space will get a great looking restaurant with very minimal out of pocket costs.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HtownWxBoy  July 29, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

Wow ... that's gotta be a record for the least amount of time a restaurant was open.  I live around the corner and only went once ... the food itself was good but the service was not ... figured it was just growing pains. 

• Like 1

Originally posted by samagon, July 29, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

wow. sounds like they didn't take into account they'd need 6-9 months of operating expenses, and only had enough for a build? or they spent their operating expense budget on cost overruns of the build? either way, that's quite an expense, and a strongly worded note by the landlord.

• Like 1

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, July 30, 2018 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

From Eater Houston:

An EaDo burger joint, Burgr Hous, has already closed just shy of hitting its two month mark in business.

The eatery at 801 St. Emanuel Street opened on June 7, but was locked out of the building last week by its landlord due to an alleged failure to pay rent. According to photos posted on popular Houston real estate forum HAIF, a notice left on Burgr Hous’ door states that the eatery had been locked out by the landlord out for failing to pay. “For lease” signs were also posted on the front of the building.

Burgr Hous owner Brian Jordan is a former civil engineer who told KHOU 11 shortly after opening that he left his career after 22 years because he was tired of it, and had no restaurant experience aside from eating in “thousands” of restaurants but decided to give restaurant ownership a try.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/7/30/17630560/eado-burgr-hous-closed-two-months

• Like 1

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, September 6, 2019 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

I think the next restaurant moving into the closed Burgr Hous space will survive for more than a month (okay, two months).

Tacos A Go Go is opening a location at 811 St Emanuel in EaDo, Houston. It's replacing Burgr Hous.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Originally from the thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.  Although reposting this may throw off the flow of the thread (i.e. the order of the posts), it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by HoustonMidtown, September 24, 2019 in the previous thread for 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo.

The "For Rent" signs were gone when I drove by this morning...

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 811 St Emanuel St
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to 811 St. Emanuel St.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, JBTX said:

Wings, burgers, ok, I'm with you.

Egg rolls? Alright, kinda odd addition, but sure.

Pasta?? I guess it kinda flows, but not really.

Gumbo and catfish???

That's a pretty wide range of dining choices there.

Houston... the home of Collision Cuisine. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• The title was changed to Gotti's Restaurant - 811 St. Emanuel St.