First Church Of Christ Scientist At 1720 Main St.

GoAtomic

I've been meaning to post this for a while ... this has got to be one of the best preserved examples of a period mid-century church in Houston (if not in the US). It's the First Church of Christ, Scientist, at the corner of Main and Jefferson downtown. Pics are below ...

Built in '61, it has many hallmarks of the period, and has a mid-century Moroccan theme to it. Mosaic tile is everywhere, and two themes run throughout the church - diamond patterns (even down to gridlines of the poured terrazzo) and mosaic blue color accents. There is original caramel-stained paneling everywhere, special light fixtures, grasscloth on the walls, etc. etc. And the pencil-thin stained glass windows are incredible.

The first time I attended church here a few months back, I thought I had died and gone to Mod Heaven :P

Services are at 11:00 Sundays if anyone wants to visit, they are very welcoming of visitors.

DCAO0232.jpg

DCAO0240.jpg

DCAO0234.jpg

DCAO0233.jpg

DCAO0236.jpg

DCAO0243.jpg

DCAO0245.jpg

DCAO0249.jpg

DCAO0253.jpg

DCAO0248.jpg

Please ignore the (1 of 2) in the Topic Title - I thought I was going to spread the pictures into two topics but changed my mind.

• Like 1

Please ignore the (1 of 2) in the Topic Title - I thought I was going to spread the pictures into two topics but changed my mind.

Great pictures, GoAtomic! I've always wanted to see the interior of this building but never got up the nerve.

(I'll attend to correcting the title)

Thanks for the post. I'd noticed the church before mainly due to the steeple but really hadn't ever pondered the architecture.

With the mosaics and arches, it seems to have a deliberate Muslim influence. Odd for a Christian church and am now wondering if there's an interesting story behind that.

Thanks for the post. I'd noticed the church before mainly due to the steeple but really hadn't ever pondered the architecture.

With the mosaics and arches, it seems to have a deliberate Muslim influence. Odd for a Christian church and am now wondering if there's an interesting story behind that.

I'll do some checking with one of the long-time members about what influenced the choices - she also has the original plans and knows the name of the architect. I know there were some Moorish influences coming into residential architecture in the mid to late 60's, so perhaps commercial prefaced that trend.

There were two previous iterations of the church on that site, and my understanding is that funding for maintenance as setup by a donor stipulated that a new church be built instead of repairing the old one when maintenance became an issue. Perhaps he influenced the design.

But I well know this religions' background, and would say the architecture defintely was not a religious statement, but rather was a reflection of the architectural trends at the time it was built. And I've noticed similar architecture (the tulip supports) in one of the Jewish congregation buildings along N. Braeswood in Meyerland, which was likely built around the same time.

Excellent pictures! I've always admired this church, but I've been afraid to go inside. It is indeed mod heaven. The flaired columns are very period-typical (check out the Jefferson Chemical building on Richmond), as is the turqoise mosaic tile. I always thought a good tour for Houston Mod would be Houston's collection of buildings that incorporated a turquoise color. (I already made a list).

Excellent pictures! I've always admired this church, but I've been afraid to go inside. It is indeed mod heaven. The flaired columns are very period-typical (check out the Jefferson Chemical building on Richmond), as is the turqoise mosaic tile. I always thought a good tour for Houston Mod would be Houston's collection of buildings that incorporated a turquoise color. (I already made a list).

I was told by one of the church members that they are supposed to be part of a 'Heart and Soul' event coming up this spring (in May I think). I gather that it is a tour of downtown churches, but am not totally sure.

If I get more info I'll post it here.

• 3 years later...

I'm bumping this topic as we've recently had an inquiry about this church from a member of the church. Hopefully we'll be able to document the church now that we have a contact who goes there and is interested in doing more documentation on it. I'll post more as I learn more.

• 10 years later...

This thread was originally created January 6, 2016. I'm reposting this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum. The original thread is archived here: page 1, page 2.

1720 Main Street in the Skyline District of Downtown Houston. 

This is the site of the First Church of Christ Scientist.

Ye5RK3Y.jpg

4ba7PYl.jpg

QlOXiK1.jpg

• Like 1

This was  originally posted January 6, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

1720 Main St is on the market, according to City of Houston Sr. City Planner Christopher Andrews. He noticed the lot up for sale on Twitter:

This seems like a bargain in Downtown Houston. Could it be a space for a new park?
oIKXbqQ.jpg

• Like 2

This was  originally posted January 6, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

The listings  City of Houston Sr. City Planner Christopher Andrews is referring to is this one on HAR.com for the First Church of Christ Scientist in downtown Houston.

6StGOSJ.jpg

0Ofdrpb.jpg

qH7GjmO.jpg

5uSVu6q.jpg

r4tehCb.jpg

• Like 2

This was  in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by adr, January 7, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

ah man.  I really like this building.  Maybe I have got the wrong place in mind, but from the right angels this is a great looking and preservation-worthy place.  

5vyPM0T.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 3

This was  in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by Subdue, January 7, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

7 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Originally posted by adr, January 7, 2017 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

ah man.  I really like this building.  Maybe I have got the wrong place in mind, but from the right angels this is a great looking and preservation-worthy place.  

5vyPM0T.jpg

This is without a doubt one of, if not the best, examples of Googie architecture in Houston.  It is so unique - I just hope any redevelopment would retain as much as possible of the existing structure.  Of course, this is Houston so I know where that argument would lead.

• Like 2

Originally posted by Urbannizer, January 20, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

Sale pending

Golden Spired 1960s Mod Awaits Sale Closure and Fate Downtown

NOW PENDING: THE sale of the First Church of Christ the Scientist at 1720 Main St., north of Jefferson St. The 1961 structure, designed by Texas architect Milton Foy Martin,was listed for $2.25 million; the listing caught the attention of the Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects, who had hoped to buy the building and move into it.

The organization made an offer, and even got Mayor Annise Parker to write a letter to the Church’s congregation in early December — Parker’s letter asked the Church to consider selling the building to AIA for the sake of historical preservation, citing fears that “any other purchaser would tear the building down.”

AIA was apparently outbid, however, by a cash buyer asking for no due diligence period. The sale is currently listed as pending on HAR. 

• Like 1

Originally posted by Houston19514, January 21, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

Very cool building. Would have been awesome for the AIA to have gotten it and moved in there.

• Like 1

Originally posted by DrLan34, January 22, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

From Swamplot:

TAKE IN THIS nice long view of the gleaming spire atop the part-Modernist-part-Brutalist-part-Islamic-part-1960s-science-fiction sanctuary of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, which was listed on HAR and now seems to be circling in on a finalized deal.  The church received a large number of offers on the property despite a short bid period, and the Houston AIA chapter’s hopes to buy the building as its new headquarters were dashed over the weekend.

http://swamplot.com/a-closeup-of-that-downtown-sci-fi-christian-science-church-the-aia-tried-to-buy/2016-01-22/

• Like 1

Originally posted by me, February 24 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

From city planner Carson Lucarelli's Twitter feed this morning:

Signage removed from First Church-Christ Scientist Reading room on Main @ Jefferson TABC permit is in the window.

ss0LZPS.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Texasota, February 24 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

It will be used rather than torn down. That's what matters most here. What exactly would AIA have really done with it anyway? Sure, the new owner could do significant damage to the building, but they could also use it in such a way that reuses it while also actually making it available to more people. Let's wait and see what's actually planned; in the meantime, this building, against all odds, might actually stay standing.

• Like 1

Originally posted by mollusk, February 24 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

It's likely that more people will visit some place to relax and have an adult beverage than would go wandering around AIA offices.

It's an ironic use, though, considering that devout Christian Scientists don't drink.

• Like 1

Originally posted by me, February 27 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

You're all right but are we 100% for sure this is remaining in tact? Has any one reported more on

I did some online sleuthing and found out who's moving into the First Church of Christ Scientist building. The owners of Clé in Midtown (2301 Main) are opening a club here. The TABC notice lists 1702 Main LTD, an entity established last month by Houston MS Management LLC. Other shell companies associated with Houston MS Management are Cle' Parking, LLC, a shell company for Club 2301 (Clé) and Sd Nightlife Investments, LLC, both listing Clé co-owner Salim Dehkordi.

• Like 1

Originally posted by astros148, February 27 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

Zack is the main owner of Cle, hes owned Richs, Bar rio, Avenue on washington, and owns a bunch of nightclubs in Austin. He is actually a friend of my and I'm going to try to get more info tonight. Theres almost 6 owners in Cle, huge group

• Like 1

Originally posted by astros148, February 27 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

they are converting this into a live music venue for edm music. It is going to be a much better version of stereo live. They are in talks with live nation to secure exclusive labels and they plan on pumping alot of money on this making this badboy one of a kind in Houston. They will keeping the structure as it is now.

This is awesome news for downtown! These guys know their shit!!

• Like 1

Originally posted by astros148, February 29 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

They use to own bar rio back in the day, hes opened the best nightclub in houston in terms of Cle. These guys know what they're doing and from what I know so far this is suppose to be their prize jewel. I will get more concept details in the coming days to share

• Like 1

Originally posted by Texasota, February 29 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

I'm not particularly an EDM fan, but so far I support everything about this. It sounds like a fantastic reuse of the building.

• Like 1

Originally posted by Urbannizer, March 21, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

From Houston Chronicle:

A downtown church with a dwindling congregation has sold its urban sanctuary to a group planning to remodel the property as a special events venue.

The property at 1720 Main went on the market in January and attracted multiple offers, said the listing broker who sold it for the First Church of Christ Scientist.

"We had seven legitimate offers," said Shawn Baksh of Trotwood Realty, who listed the 15,625-square-foot site for $2.25 million.

The church has owned the land since 1908. Its downtown population has declined over the years, but there are other sanctuaries of the same denomination in the Bellaire and Friendswood areas.

The 11,000-square-foot building was developed in 1961, replacing an older chapel. It sold for above asking price, Baksh said.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Downtown-church-changes-hands-6926218.php

rtcf7Pl.jpg
The former First Church of Christ Scientist (photo: KevenAlvarado)

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

Originally posted by Triton, March 25, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

Photo of downtown Houston, April 1963. Shows First Church of Christ Scientist in the background.

CU6OfJn.jpg
https://joshburdick.smugmug.com/Architecture/Historic-Houston/i-VMtpBCM/A

• Like 2

Originally posted by astros148, March 25, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

They are looking at a August opening date. They will be pumping in close to 4 mil'ish and have already secured all the financing needing. The layout and designs look freakingamazing. This will be sooooo much better then House of blues and will be so great for the neighborhood.  You will def be seeing retail following this.

Will be trying get renderings soon

• Like 1

Originally posted by me, March 26, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

From Swamplot earlier this month:

TABC Permit in the Works for the Brutalist Christian Science Church on Main St.

A new gig appears to be on the horizon for the turquoise-and-concrete Christian Science church at 1720 Main St. A notice announcing an application for a TABC license for the spot is up at the site; the license is being sought by an entity under the name of 1720 Main Reception Hall. Attached to that name, in the public notice for the application, is another: Salim Dehkordi (of nightclub Clé Bar down the road at 2301 Main) is listed as president, secretary, and treasurer.

http://swamplot.com/tabc-permit-in-the-works-for-the-brutalist-christian-science-church-on-main-st/2016-03-01/

9vplPcx.jpg

3HGdh7w.jpg

• Like 2

Originally posted by me, March 26, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

More on this from Houston Chronicle's subscription site:

Preservation in store for architecturally significant downtown church

A midcentury church on the southern end of downtown has changed hands and its new owners say they plan to preserve it, potentially turning it into an entertainment or special events venue.

The 1961 building at 1720 Main was until recently the home of the downtown congregation of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, a Christian denomination with other sanctuaries in the Houston area. The congregation had dwindled over the years, and the property was put on the market in January.

"We fell in love with the building and the architecture, and we want to protect that and leave it in place," said Andrew Estes, a partner in the group that recently purchased the 11,000-square-foot building, which sits on about a third of an acre.

Estes said he and his partners have been working on a concept for the space but have not finalized a plan. (details about it on HAIF here and here)

Details on other interested parties:

The urban sanctuary attracted multiple bidders who came to the table with various proposals, including ones for a hotel and a residential building, said the church's broker, Shawn Baksh of Trotwood Realty.

"We had seven legitimate offers," said Baksh, who listed the 15,625-sq ft. site for $2.25 million.

AIA Houston, the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects, put a bid on the property after identifying the building as a potential new home for Architecture Center Houston, which houses the offices of AIA and the Houston Architecture Foundation, a gallery for rotating architecture-related exhibits.

The group's bid included a letter from then-mayor Annise Parker and another from former AIA Houston leader Barrie Scardino Bradley encouraging the church to seriously consider the architecture group's offer.

"It talked about who we are and that we'd be great stewards for the building," executive director Rusty Bienvenue said.

The bid was presented in English and Spanish because of the bilingual nature of the congregation.

After later increasing the amount of its offer, AIA Houston was outbid.

"We got a call back saying they went with a cash bidder that didn't need a due diligence period and could close in 30 days," Bienvenue said, adding that his group has since found another building nearby for its new home.

It sold for above asking price, Baksh said.

Other interesting facts from the article about this structure:

• The church had owned the land since 1908. The building was put up in 1961, replacing an older chapel.

• The structure was designed by Texas architect Milton Foy Martin and is a good representation of midcentury-modern architecture, which is "the hot thing right now," Bienvenue said.

• Like 1

Originally posted by me, April 1, 2016 in the previous thread for First Church of Christ Scientist @ 1720 Main St.

The new venue has a name: Spire or Spire Houston (1720 Main St), a tribute to the geometric gold spire atop of the building.

A domain was purchased last week for http://spirehouston.com

• Like 1