Caroline Lofts: Affordable Housing At 2403 Caroline St.

CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by phillip_white, September 7, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

I'm reading that as they've already raised equity of $1.8m (including $750k in cash) to pay for the estimated $1.8m construction cost. The Nextseed campaign will be used to pay off the construction debts, freeing up capital for operating expenses.

Also, the Nextseed funding round doesn't close until Nov 15th. Add to that processing and transfer time. If they need that money for construction, this project is going to be majorly delayed.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by LBC2HTX, September 7, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Considering it says it’s raising money on nextseed “to complete construction”, id bet that they’d not want to go too far down the rabbit hole without that funding. I think the round doesn’t close until Nov because they’ve extended the deadline?? 

Originally posted by phillip_white, September 17, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

On 9/7/2018 at 6:55 PM, LBC2HTX said:

Considering it says it’s raising money on nextseed “to complete construction”, id bet that they’d not want to go too far down the rabbit hole without that funding. I think the round doesn’t close until Nov because they’ve extended the deadline?? 

Looks like, as of today, they have now hit the $200k minimum raise.

Originally posted by _nataliepw, September 26, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

They’ve raised about $235K on NextSeed as of today 

Originally posted by dbigtex56, November 14, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

The good news: investment now stands at $325,500, surpassing its goal of $200,00 with two days left to invest. https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/america-gardens/

The lot has been mowed.

Still waiting on further construction to resume.

Originally posted by phillip_white, November 14, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

After hearing about the closure of some of the North Texas locations of this group's other concepts as well as their claim that "heavy rains" is the reasons for delays makes me question if this will move forward at all.

Originally posted by phillip_white, November 28, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Nextseed sent out a memo stating that Syn Group is still trying to finalize a "large equity investment" for this project. Closing on that funding is estimated to be in the next two weeks, if at all.

I'm just guessing here, but it seems as though they were using the large equity investment to pump up the Nextseed round... which was required to get said investment. I'm further worried about the success of this project.

Originally posted by phillip_white, December 26, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Looks like there was a disagreement between the owners of America Gardens and their landlord. Their Nextseed funding has been pulled, which I believe would imperil their other funding. It was fun while it lasted but, without a Christmas miracle, I think this one is dead.

Originally posted by corbs315, December 26, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:18 PM, phillip_white said:

Looks like there was a disagreement between the owners of America Gardens and their landlord. Their Nextseed funding has been pulled, which I believe would imperil their other funding. It was fun while it lasted but, without a Christmas miracle, I think this one is dead.

Really? Any more info? What'll happen to the lot?

Originally posted by phillip_white, December 26, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:02 AM, corbs315 said:

Really? Any more info? What'll happen to the lot?

That's all I know for now. I believe the lot is owned by Common Ground.

Originally posted by dbigtex56, December 31, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Common Ground to a halt. 😥

Originally posted by phillip_white, February 24, 2019 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Looks like at least a portion of this lot is being switched to an affordable housing project called Caroline Lofts by Mark-Dana Corp. 87 total units with 76 low income and 11 market rate. They're the same group behind the structure currently going up right next to the 45 North Scott Street exit ramp.

From Houston Business Journal:

The list of affordable apartment projects on the City Council resolution item includes one development at McGowen and Caroline in Midtown called Caroline Lofts by Virginia- and Texas-based developer Mark-Dana Corp. The company’s EaDo Lofts project at the corner of Coyle and Napoleon streetsqualified for a low-income-housing tax credit from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs and will receive $1.5 million a year in tax credits for 10 years.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/02/19/developer-planning-affordable-housing-project-in.html

Originally posted by Urbannizer, July 3, 2019 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Originally posted by phillip_white, July 29, 2019 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

The building on the corner of this lot will host a temporary art installation Pretty Damn Magic:

https://m.bpt.me/event/4303955

• The title was changed to 2403 Caroline
  • 3 months later...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-council-support-tax-credits-housing-afford-15068063.php#photo-19052898

While Midtown is dotted with apartment complexes, developers say it has a dearth of affordable housing. One such proposed project, Caroline Lofts, moved a step closer to realization this week, when the city recommended it receive 9 percent tax credits.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Caroline Lofts: Affordable Housing For Midtown
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Paco Jones said:

xegPgNK.pngLevel 1 is comprised of secured parking (21,152 SF), retail space (2,686 SF), and an amenity center (5,868 SF).  Level 2 has an outdoor terrace sitting area (1,600 SF).  119 Units totaling 103,221 SF. Exterior façade is EIFS and Hardi board. 

Looks like they copy/pasted the design of the Hamilton in downtown at the corner of pierce and hamilton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

City of Houston Permits for this project, don't know how to open the links though.

04wpSHX.png

Nice! I just came across the City Council agenda approving grant funds to this project. And Caroline Street remodel is getting close in this area. Full steam ahead.
https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/housing/20210527/agenda.pdf

HCDD recommends Council approval of an Ordinance authorizing an Agreement between the City of Houston and Lone Star Housing CDC (Borrower), a nonprofit partner of Mark-Dana Corporation joined by Caroline Lofts, LP (Owner), for a $17,836,036.00 Community Development Block Grant - Disaster Recovery 2017 grant, for the new construction of a development for families located at 2403 Caroline Street, Houston, TX 77004. (District D)

• Like 4