Caroline Lofts: Affordable Housing At 2403 Caroline St.

CrockpotandGravel

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted July 8, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

A new development is under construction at 2403 Caroline, covering the Caroline, McGowen and Austin Street blocks. It's going to become an entertainment district called Midtown Common from SYN Group out of Dallas.

From Loopnet:

9Wz5VUx.jpg

• Like 2

Originally posted March 11, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

More about Midtown Common originally discussed in the More Coming to Midtown thread:

On 9/30/2014 at 8:17 AM, phillip_white said:

Anyone know what's up with the lot at Caroline & McGowen?  It's been completely cleared of the overgrown brush and trees, and the gate is locked for the first time that I can remember..  Further investigation reveals that an LLC was formed last year under 2515 Caroline, Ltd.  I hope they get something going before the Caroline street renovation begins!

This might be a good place for a mixed use with a quick casual restaurant or coffee shop anchor, but I'm hoping for anything other than townhouses.

^Is this too much to ask for? :unsure:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=477771

On 3/9/2017 at 2:04 PM, Urbannizer said:

Proposed development at Caroline and McGowen dubbed "Midtown Common"

SubdivisionPlatPDF_MidtownCommon.pdf 566.92 kB · 43 downloads

bLgKmm6.jpg&

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=550465

On 3/10/2017 at 7:27 AM, phillip_white said:

I really thought they were going to wait to try to assemble the whole block, but I'm glad this is moving forward.  This area needs a shot in the arm, which hopefully this development and ATMA across the street will provide.  Fingers crossed for GFR!!!

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=550494

On 3/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, corbs315 said:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22649-more-coming-to-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=550507

• Like 2

Originally posted March 11, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

The new development at 2403 Caroline, Midtown Common, is described as such on Facebook:

Midtown Houston's Premier Entertainment Destination coming Fall 2017! 4 different venues will provide great food,unbelievable ambiance, and great nightlife.

The four venues at Midtown Common include restaurants and bar from Dallas and Fort Worth:

- The Social House: a gastropub with 100 beer taps on the wall. (here's one their location's Facebook page)
- Don Chingon - a Tex-Mex restaurant and margarita bar

- Wishful Drinking - a local watering hole
- America Gardens - a beer garden (here's the Forth Worth Facebook page)

There's a Facebook page for America Gardens' Houston location.

It's opening in Midtown Common at 2403 Caroline. More from their Facebook description:

America Gardens,Created by the Syn Group will be Midtown Houston's biggest patio restaurant at 15,000 square feet coming Summer 2017!

Pictures of the Fort Worth construction of America Gardens from Instagram         gives an idea of how the Houston location could look.

This was in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by phillip_white March 16, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

I spoke to the manager of the Salvation Army youth outreach program that is renting the building on this site and he said they have a month to month lease that they were hoping to renew until May.  He hadn't heard anything about the site being developed...

This was in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline . Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread here: page 1, page 2.

Originally posted by Diaspora March 22, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

This is encouraging on two levels.  The most obvious is the enhancement will be well timed for the Caroline street redo and may help to further populate commercial entities along the redesigned street.  The second encouraging sign is that the individuals behind the owning entity, 2515 Caroline Ltd., have mostly been known for land speculation/turnover but are here applying their skills to land development.  I applaud that shift as the thoughtful application of mixed use and commercial/retail will enhance the growing residential community.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted  May 4, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

From Houstonia:

Midtown Common: Huge plans are in store for the 2400 block of Caroline in Midtown. Syn Group, a hospitality team based out of Dallas, will convert the site at 2403 Caroline into an entertainment district, consisting of four restaurants and bars within walking distance of each other. Established eateries slated for the upcoming development include vibrant gastropub The Social House and the patriotic-themed beer garden America Gardens. Additionally, there will be a Tex-Mex spot and margarita bar called Don Chingnon, along with a neighborhood watering hole named Wishful Drinking. The development is projected to open in 2018.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2017/5/1/houston-restaurants-to-get-excited-for

Originally posted by phillip_white, May 18, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Rendering posted to Syn Hospitality Group's Facebook page on May 2nd::

Excited about starting construction on America Gardens Midtown Houston! Coming Fall 2017 Midtown Houstons biggest patio in the first phase of Midtown Common. #americagardenshtx#midtownsbiggestpatio #whatsyoursyn#thesyngroup #everybodylovesamerica

tlDHtUq.jpg

0wHdw2u.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by bobruss, May 18, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Looks like an offshoot of Axelrads, 8th Wonder on Hutchins, and the Kirby Ice House all doing incredible business. I'm sure this will attract a crowd also. You can never have too many outdoor ice houses. I wish they had one with a really nice BOCCE court.

Originally posted by phillip_white, May 19, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

New post on the America Gardens Midtown Facebook page, higher res images with a new rendering:

The first phase of the Midtown Common Entertainment District opens this fall with America Gardens! We are excited about coming to Midtown Houston this fall! With a scratch kitchen, great beer and drink selection, and plenty of outdoor space we look forward to serving you soon! More updates coming soon! #americagardenshtx #everybodylovesamerica #whatsyoursyn #thesyngroup

Go9rZg0.jpg

3ilV6HB.jpg

1Ye8dIe.jpg

If the skyline in the first picture is correct, it appears that car is driving the wrong way down Caroline...

• Like 2

Originally posted by phillip_white, June 12, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

TABC application notice is up.

Originally posted by phillip_white, August 3, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Tenant has vacated the existing building. Roll-off dumpster is on site, so this may finally be underway??? 

Originally posted by phillip_white, December 14, 2017 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

This is a little preview of what we are bringing to Midtown next year! This is our winter wonderland from our DFW location! Hope everyone is having a great December! #americagardens #thesyngroup #whatsyoursyn #makingmidtowngreatagain

https://www.facebook.com/americagardensmidtownhouston/videos/1743368089020489

Originally posted by phillip_white, February 12, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

I noticed a bunch of flags out on the property this weekend. Could hopefully be survey work... Still wondering when the building will be razed.

Originally posted by Shawn Rao, February 12, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Hey Everyone,

My name is Shawn Rao and I am the owner of the Syn group that is developing the land an making it Midtown Commons. After Harvey we had some delays but we are on schedule to open in mid May, early June hopefully. We plan on opening with America Gardens which will  be a 10,500 square foot patio with 4300 square feet inside. Then a year later open our Mexican restaurant Don Chingon, the Social House, and Wishful Drinking to complete the area. We are really looking forward to making this block wonderful and creating synergy amongst the concepts. My business partner were born and raised in Houston and are looking forward to bringing something special back to the city. Hope this helps on updates as in March construction will be moving along nicely. Hope everyone has a good day and hope this helps. 

Originally posted by phillip_white, March 20, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

I guess they are back on schedule, as the developer previously mentioned a March construction start.

This was taken yesterday, and there were dump trucks on site this morning around 7AM hauling out dirt and concrete. This will be quite the improvement to this dead zone in East Midtown.

sqo80KC.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Shawn Rao, March 22, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Hey Guys,

Shawn Rao here again, the owner of the site. We can't wait to open as soon as possible. I know some guys on the message board are some of the most knowledgeable when it comes to Midtown development. Do any of you know of any plans that are coming around us. We understand we took a less than desirable space but we will transform the area into a vibrant development that Midtown will love. We are committing over 6 million dollars into the development. Does anyone know if there are any plans around the site or in the few block vicinity that will make the neighborhood better. People are telling me that East Midtown will be the next highly developed are but would like your guys input. Thank you. 

Originally posted by Diaspora, March 22, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

To the east of you between Austin and La Branch along McGowen there is slated to be built an 8 story, 71 unit luxury condo, ground to break by August. 

Within 6-8 weeks  Caroline Street  will be redeveloped and streetscaped much like Bagby Street to the West, this will be a progressive development starting at Elgin and moving north.  This will have a major impact on your Caroline facing work.  It appears you have an ingress/egress off Austin and, of course, McIlhenney.

Further changes are afoot in the vicinity

Originally posted by phillip_white, May 1, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

@Shawn Rao, any updates on this project that you can share? I saw a water injector on site a while back and thought that meant a slab pour would be happening shortly after.

I would assume mid-June is now a bit ambitious for this, but I am hopeful that America Gardens will be open for July 4th.

Originally posted by phillip_white, May 2, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Of course, as soon as I say something a new machine shows up on site...
OeyoJSK.jpg

And a pile of wood that looks like it may be for the forms:
o1BGGZL.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by dbigtex56, May 5, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Today I saw workers nailing timber together, presumably for concrete slab forms.

Originally posted by corbs315, May 9 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Plumbing permit filed yesterday.

Originally posted by corbs315, May 10 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

From Swamplot:

Construction broke ground in March on America Gardens, the star-spangled first venue Syn Hospitality has planned as part of a 4-bar complex dubbed Midtown Common it’s developing on Caroline St. And already, Core Church Midtown has fled the block and taken refuge in the CrossWalk Center, a 2-story structure in the Near Northside. Formerly home to Employment Training Centers Inc., it’s on N. Main 3 blocks south of Quitman — next door to Label Warehouse’s building — and houses a facility that assists convicts recently released from jail.

The 5,000-sq.-ft. now-vacant strip center in Midtown had been home to the church since 2016. When the neighboring construction wraps up, America Gardens and its 3 planned accomplices — Don Chingon, the Social House, and Wishful Drinking — will abut the empty building’s west side, as indicated in the map below:

http://swamplot.com/core-church-midtown-flees-its-austin-st-strip-center-in-advance-of-syn-hospitalitys-bar-quartet/2018-05-09/

Originally posted by phillip_white, May 23 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

From yesterday:
AAUgrON.jpg

Originally posted by dbigtex56, June 28 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

It's been about a month since any changes have been made to the worksite. 
Any theories as to what may be causing the holdup?

Originally posted by phillip_white, July 9, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

America Gardens is looking for investors on NextSeed.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/america-gardens/

New information including the site layout:

nElJiDh.jpg

https://cdn.nextseed.co/app/uploads/America-Gardens-site-plan.png

And updated schedule:

February 2018: Construction kicked off
August 2018: Anticipated completion of building construction and patio layout <-- Next month seems ambitious
November 2018: Training of staff and final finishes to be completed
January 2019: Anticipated soft opening for America Gardens in East Midtown

• Like 1

Originally posted by corbs315, July 22, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

Here's something from the nextseed page for the place that might inform some of the perceived delays. Page lists January 2019 as their soft opening now:

Jul 10, 2018

Going by the site it appears that all work has come to a stop, and that no work has occurred in quite sometime. When do you expect construction to resume, and given the current status, do you think the posted delivery schedule is still accurate?

Issuer
Jul 10, 2018

Maja,

The building is a prefab so it is being made off-site. There were a few issues so they had to fix a couple of things. So the building will be brought over and placed on site. So we should not be too off schedule. All the plumbing, slab, and utilities are already connected. Hope this helps and have a great day.

Shawn

Originally posted by phillip_white, September 7, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

UPDATED SCHEDULE PER NEW COMMENT ON NEXTSEED:

February 2018: Construction kicked off

Nov 2018: Anticipated completion of building construction and patio layout <-- Even December seems ambitious based on the current state of the site.

???? 2018: Training of staff and final finishes to be completed

Late Feb/ Early Mar 2019: Anticipated soft opening for America Gardens in East Midtown

I'm really rooting for this project, but they're blowing through all of their target dates. Even if the pre-fab structure is behind schedule, you'd think they would start on site work including pouring the slabs and drive-through areas, grading, sidewalk improvements, etc. I hope there's not bigger issues going on behind the scenes. 

Originally posted by LBC2HTX, September 7, 2018 in the previous thread for Midtown Common | 2403 Caroline.

From NEXTSEED:

The buildout and launch of America Gardens in East Midtown Houston is estimated at $1.8 million.

Jonathan Serrano and Shawn Rao have raised equity commitments of $1,800,000 (contributed cash of $750,000) in equity for the project thus far. Through the NextSeed campaign, the business is seeking to raise between $200,000 and $1,000,000 to complete construction. Upon completion of the NextSeed campaign, the equity commitments will cover any remaining balance of the project cost.

Seems to be due to the fact that they're short of their $200k goal.