Kim Hung Market 1005 St. Emanuel St.

This thread was originally created April 2016. I'm reposting this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum. The original thread is archived here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4 (screenshot).

1005 St Emanuel in East Downtown Houston. This is the site of Kim Hung Market in old Chinatown.

kzMqBbW.jpg

cqQusFh.jpg

ji8H8dE.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 3

Originally posted April 7, 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

East Downtown is getting a hotel near Warehouse Live, across from the East Village mixed-use development. Red Lion Hotel will be located at 1005 St Emanuel in EaDo.

From Houston Business Journal:

A Spokane, Washington-based hospitality company plans to open a new hotel in downtown Houston in the second half of 2018.

Red Lion Hotels Corp. (NYSE: RLH) will build its 10th Hotel RL at 1005 St. Emanuel St. Hotel RL Houston Downtown will have 150 guest rooms, retail space and a signature restaurant and bar.

The hotel will also feature meeting areas, a business center and a fitness center.

Red Lion Hotels operates 125 hotels in the U.S. The Hotel RL will be the company's first location in Houston and third in Texas. Red Lion currently operates two hotels in El Paso under its Guesthouse brand.

Hotel RL Houston Downtown will enter the downtown market after a number of new hotels open in time for the 2017 Super Bowl.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/04/07/washington-hotel-company-to-open-first-houston.html

• Like 1

Originally posted April 7, 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

From the press release yesterday:

RLHC (Red Lion Hotels Corporation) (NYSE:RLH) announced today its tenth location for the Hotel RL brand will be constructed in downtown Houston, Texas.

"The downtown area is a hub for sports, leisure and entertainment, thus an ideal setting for the Hotel RL brand," said Brian Quinn, RLHC Senior Vice President and Chief Franchise Officer. "We see artistic components like the Living Stage and our signature coffeehouse experience aligning well with guests and the local community."

Set to open in the second half of 2018, the future Hotel RL Houston Downtown will have 150 guest rooms, a retail space, the signature Hotel RL restaurant and bar, meeting areas, business center and fitness center. The property will be located at 1005 St. Emanuel Street, ten miles from Houston Hobby Airport and within walking distance to BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and the George R. Brown Convention Center

With the addition of the Houston property, the collection of Hotel RL locations will span current locations in Washington D.C. and Baltimore as well as upcoming locations in Spokane, Olympia, Salt Lake City, College Station, St. Louis, Brooklyn, and Long Island City.

• Like 1

This is one of the most frustrating sites in Houston. Unlimited potential, but owner doesn’t have any motivation to sell. 

One day it’ll be an amazing high rise site with unblocked views of discovery green, sitting on the front door of the park bridge. Unfortunately, it’ll probably have to wait until the owners kids take over. 

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

Originally posted by Urbannizer April 12 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

From Hospitality Design:

Hotel RL to Introduce Downtown Houston Location

Red Lion Hotels has announced plans to develop its tenth Hotel RL location in downtown Houston.

The 180-guestroom Hotel RL Houston Downtown will house retail space, meeting areas, business and fitness centers, and a signature restaurant and bar. Located at 1005 St. Emanuel Street, the hotel will be walking distance from landmarks like the BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, and the George R. Brown Convention Center. Red Lion also plans to include the brand coffeehouse as well as its Living Stage event series, which showcases live events, from keynotes to hands-on demonstrations.

"The downtown area is a hub for sports, leisure, and entertainment, thus an ideal setting for the Hotel RL brand," says Brian Quinn, RLHC’s senior vice president and chief franchise officer. "We see artistic components like the Living Stage and our signature coffeehouse experience aligning well with guests and the local community."

The hospitality brand operates 125 hotels with upcoming locations in Washington State, Texas, New York, and Missouri. The Hotel RL Houston Downtown is slated for completion in 2018.

http://www.hospitalitydesign.com/news/hotels-rest-wellness/Hotel-RL-to-Introduce-Downtown-Houston-Location-16036.shtml

(archived link)

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

Originally posted by Urbannizer April 12 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

Rendering of Hotel RL Houston posted to Hospitality Design

9SA2TZy.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by HNathoo April 13 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

I think the 16 story tower in the back is probably a residential component, or maybe a phase 2. The 180 room hotel looks like it'll be the shorter building - I'm basing this on the size/footprint.

• Like 1

This was originally posted November 22, 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

Another rendering that shows a close up of RL Hotel a little (originally posted in the East Village thread)

gt6Jfsd.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Urbannizer May 11, 2017 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

This project will also feature 180 condos, and 40,000 sq feet of retail, with 25,000-,30,000 dedicated to a grocer.

http://pineplacedev.com/projects

Hotel
Red Lion Hotels will build its first Houston location, the upscale boutique hotel concept, “Hotel RL” .”Houston is the most diverse city in Texas, thus an ideal setting for the Hotel RL brand,” said Brian Quinn, RLHC Senior Vice President and Chief Franchise Officer.

Set to open in the second half of 2018, the future Hotel RL will have 150 guest rooms, retail space, restaurant and bar, meeting areas, business center and fitness center.

The property will be located at 1005 St. Emanuel Street, in the up and coming EaDo District, ten miles from Houston Hobby Airport and within walking distance to BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and the George R. Brown Convention Center. It will be Red Lion’s third Texas hotel and 125th nationwide.

Multi-Family
The Kim Hung project includes 180 high-end condominium units ranging from 650 SF to 1,150SF. Studio, 1 BR and 2 BR units, with multiple floorplans available. 24/7 concierge and security. Stunning views of the downtown skyline, Houston Medical Center, and the Houston Ship Channel.

Retail
Over 40,000 SF of retail space, including 25,000 SF - 30,000 SF allotted for a full-service grocer.

• Like 1

Originally posted by Urbannizer May 11, 2017 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

A second rough rendering can be found on pg 62 of this document: http://www.tulsadevelopmentauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Pine-Place-Development.pdf

Kim Hung - East Downtown Houston

Upscale Boutique Hotel Concept  
150 Guest Rooms  
180 High End Condominiums (650-1,150 sq. ft.)    
10,000 sq. ft. of Retail Space    
25,000-30,000 sq. ft. of Grocery Space  

U59gR0w.jpg

By6xGeA.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by Sanjorade August 25, 2017 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

No construction yet. I heard the land may still be for sale, but who knows...

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

Originally posted by HNathoo August 26, 2017 2016 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

There aren't a ton of lenders that will finance a boutique hotel project in an area that doesn't have a track record for successful hotels (or any).

The owner was doing a JV with the developer with little to no money at risk for the developer.

I wouldn't hold your breathe on this project.

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4.

Originally posted by Urbannizer May 26, 2018 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Now up to 27-stories

http://stoaintl.com/design/mixed-use/

(archive link)

Kim Hung Rising Tower

lp6QZg5.jpg
(original link)

• Like 1

Originally posted by htownbro June 1, 2018 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

From Houston Chronicle, June 1, 2018:

A new $150 million hotel and condo tower is planned for Houston's east downtown, along one of the area's most popular streets, Saint Emanuel.

This week STOA Architects shared renderings of the mixed-use Hotel RL, its new development at 1005 Saint Emanuel.

Renderings show a building with two separate towers. According to STOA's president C.C. Lee there will be 280 condo units and 170 hotel rooms in total.

Construction isn't due to begin until at least summer 2020 so STOA still has a few years until its time to break ground.

"We want to be the gateway to the EaDo neighborhood," he said, noting that the large square and circle on its facade is a nod to Chinese coinage and by extension, prosperity.

The Kim Hung Market occupied the site for years and will be leveled to make way for the 27-floor tower. But Lee says that doesn't mean the end for the market, which is no longer open to the public but serves as a grocery warehouse for suppliers. It will be incorporated into the first floor of the building.

In the shared rendering there is a large Texas flag hanging in the middle of the facade but Lee said that once the building is completed sometime in 2023 it will change with the seasons. Decorations  honoring holidays and special events like sports playoffs will be commemorated in that spot.

The development will be just a handful of blocks from the George R. Brown Convention Center. Minute Maid Park, BBVA Compass Stadium. As of late the area has grown in popularity with attractions like the 8th Wonder Brewery, and Dallas nightlife transplants Rodeo Goat and Truck Yard bringing in visitors from all over the city.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/150-million-hotel-and-condo-tower-planned-for-12960091.php

• Like 1

Originally posted by htownbro June 1, 2018 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Rendering of Hotel RL from the Houston Chronicle article.

VQ3tTh4.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by hammi June 1, 2018 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Pretty odd the architect is the one quoted on this and not the developer. I'm still pretty skeptical about this ever getting off the ground. 

• Like 1

Originally posted by bobruss June 1, 2018 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

I know everyone loves skyscrapers and big developments, but I don't think that this project really fits with the surrounding neighborhood and would only bring in more of the same and you would lose that edgy feel that gives EADO its vibe. Plus it's just so commercial and smacks of Kitsch. Like I said earlier something like the San Jose in Austin, or the Hotal Havana in San Antonio, both small boutique hotels, would fit in and add to the bohemian qualities that give EADO its funk. The rendering looks like it should be on the Kemah boardwalk or across from the Galveston amusement park pier. Liz Lambert could come up with something that was hip and draw tourists.

• Like 1

Originally posted by Urbannizer March 11, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Parking garage with 50,000 sq ft of retail planned for 1005 St. Emanuel St.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1005-St-Emanuel-St-Houston-TX/14987061/

(archive link)

From Loopnet:

EaDo Central or Central EaDo at 1005 St. Emanuel St, Houston

Property Type Retail    
Property Sub-type Freestanding

Gross Leasable Area 54,418 SF    
Total Land Area 1.45 AC

Year Built

Proposed retail and restaurants shown in renderings:

• Fadi's
  • Gen Korean BBQ
  • Torchy's Tacos
  • Gong Cha
  • AT&T
  • Dunkin' Donuts
  • Banh Mi ETC

• Like 1

Originally posted by me, March 11, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Renderings of the new proposed re-adaptive development with parking garage and retail for 1005 St. Emanuel in Houston. The name may be EaDo Central or Central EaDo.

yfNIvqP.jpg

(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/yfNIvqP.jpg )

wtgqspT.jpg
(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/wtgqspT.jpg )

ytTMduB.jpg
(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/ytTMduB.jpg )

Lq08tDx.jpg
(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/Lq08tDx.jpg )

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4 (screenshot).

Originally posted by Urbannizer, May 2, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Hmm may not happen anytime soon..

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=16665&MeetingID=358

RECOMMENDATION:  Approve and authorize a Parking License Agreement between Kim Hung Development, Inc. (Licensor) and City of Houston (Licensee) for surface parking located at 1005 Saint Emanuel Street, for the Administration and Regulatory Affairs (ARA) Department.

SPECIFIC EXPLANATION:  The General Services Department recommends approval of a Parking License Agreement with Kim Hung Development, Inc. to utilize 25 parking spaces at 1005 Saint Emanuel Street for the employees of the Parking Management Division of ARA, whose offices are located at 2020 McKinney Street, across the street from the parking lot.

The proposed Agreement provides for an initial term of five years with an extended term of five years on the same terms and conditions.  The monthly parking fee is $1,725.00; ($69/per space; $20,700/year) during the first year, with 3% annual increases thereafter. The initial term will commence on the first date of the first full month after the date of countersignature of the City Controller. 

Either party may terminate this Parking License Agreement at any time, without cause or penalty, by providing 90 days prior written notice to the other party. 

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential. Although the information is outdated, it may be helpful to see what was previously discussed or shared before since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  Archive links to original thread are here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4 (screenshot).

Originally posted by Luminare, May 2, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

They honestly should just wait until they make a decision on the parking mins in this area. That will ultimately determine how much they are going to need. Many don't know this, but each parking stall costs about $10,000 - $12,000 each. Developers will gladly take a reduced min if that means they can save or swing that funding somewhere else.

• Like 1

Originally posted by thedistrict84, May 2, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

For the record, this seems to pertain to the existing parking lot in front of the commercial building that takes up most of the block. Also, 25 parking spots is only a portion of the existing lot.

The bigger takeaway is the fact that the City facility that will be utilizing this parking on a five-year contract term is in the direct path of the I-45 reroute project. That suggests that we’re looking at five years or more before businesses between St. Emanuel and Chartres get taken by eminent domain and torn down to make way for construction, which seems to me to be a bit behind the proposed schedule.

• Like 1

Originally posted by Houston19514, May 2, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

I wouldn't read too much into that.  Even if you are right about this being behind the proposed schedule, there may well be an early termination option for certain circumstances.

2 hours ago, HNathoo said:

This is one of the most frustrating sites in Houston. Unlimited potential, but owner doesn’t have any motivation to sell. 

One day it’ll be an amazing high rise site with unblocked views of discovery green, sitting on the front door of the park bridge. Unfortunately, it’ll probably have to wait until the owners kids take over. 

You took the words out of my mouth. It is frustrating because this site has so much potential for EaDo.

Is there a particular reason why the owner won't sell?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

You took the words out of my mouth. It is frustrating because this site has so much potential for EaDo.

Is there a particular reason why the owner won't sell?

While he’ll enter negotiations with people, i firmly believe he just wants to feel good about what his property is worth. 

My guess is as long as the parking income he collects exceeds his property tax bill, this gives him something to do. It’s paid off and he’s not a real estate guy, so he won’t easily be able to find a replacement property to offset his taxable gains. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HNathoo said:

While he’ll enter negotiations with people, i firmly believe he just wants to feel good about what his property is worth. 

My guess is as long as the parking income he collects exceeds his property tax bill, this gives him something to do. It’s paid off and he’s not a real estate guy, so he won’t easily be able to find a replacement property to offset his taxable gains. 

I thought so. Still, for the general public, this is a pity because the property could be developed into something more.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Kim Hung Market 1005 St Emanuel St
  • 9 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 11:50 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Originally posted by me, March 11, 2019 in the previous thread for Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential.

Renderings of the new proposed re-adaptive development with parking garage and retail for 1005 St. Emanuel in Houston. The name may be EaDo Central or Central EaDo.

yfNIvqP.jpg

(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/yfNIvqP.jpg )

wtgqspT.jpg
(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/wtgqspT.jpg )

ytTMduB.jpg
(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/ytTMduB.jpg )

Lq08tDx.jpg
(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/Lq08tDx.jpg )

The new renderings are way different than these. Interesting. 

6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I think these are the old renderings? I remember the cheesy opening in the side of the building with the Texas flag hanging down from the previous renderings shared a few years ago. Also, the date on the bottom of the page suggests it was last updated in 2018.

I think this design has (thankfully) been abandoned.

• Like 1